• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to Ski This Friday

EPB

Smuggs is awesome. I'd get a pass there if it was a little closer.

I remember skiing Wildcat last year and thinking to myself that if it had a more prolonged steep section in the middle of the area, it would be unquestionably one of the very best areas in the East. More snow would only help its case. On paper, and from what I've seen and read, Smuggs should be like that improved version of Wildcat that I've daydreamed about.

Huck_It_Baby

I remember skiing Wildcat last year and thinking to myself that if it had a more prolonged steep section in the middle of the area, it would be unquestionably one of the very best areas in the East. More snow would only help its case. On paper, and from what I've seen and read, Smuggs should be like that improved version of Wildcat that I've daydreamed about.

You should go to Smuggs. I've hit it a number of times in the last couple weeks, with the most recent being this past Sunday, and conditions have been great. Back bowls skiing nicely and most areas in the trees have great coverage.

If you are debating Smuggs and MRG why not throw Stowe into the mix? I had an amazing day there on Saturday and I plan on going back Friday.

Puck it

Updated NOAA weahter shows no wind and wet prceip for Fri now.

Today

sn30.png

Chance
Snow

High: 26 °F
Tonight

nsn80.png

Snow

Low: 22 °F

Thursday

bkn.png

Partly
Sunny

High: 29 °F

Thursday
Night
nbkn.png

Mostly
Cloudy

Low: 20 °F

Friday

bkn.png

Partly
Sunny

High: 30 °F

Friday
Night
nbkn.png

Mostly
Cloudy

Low: 19 °F

Saturday

sct.png

Mostly
Sunny

High: 25 °F

Saturday
Night
nfew.png

Mostly
Clear

Low: 14 °F

Sunday

sct.png

SnowRock

You should go to Smuggs. I've hit it a number of times in the last couple weeks, with the most recent being this past Sunday, and conditions have been great. Back bowls skiing nicely and most areas in the trees have great coverage.

If you are debating Smuggs and MRG why not throw Stowe into the mix? I had an amazing day there on Saturday and I plan on going back Friday.

Great to hear. The wife is away for work and I am driving up from NYC thursday after work. Looks like everything should be in real good shape from what I can tell. Plenty of recent snow, decently cold weather during this week with a snow shower or two and a nice forecast for the weekend. Probably be my last hurrah.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Back in 2001 or so, when I was just starting to ski off the groomers, I was riding the Quad at Wildcat and shared a chair with two older dudes. We were chatting it up about how great the day was and how fun Wildcat was. They mentioned that they were Smuggs regulars. One dude got that far away dreamy look in his eye and mentioned how awesome Smuggs is and that I gotta get over there. I went home, looked at the trail map, pulled up the web site, and neither made an impression. Nine years later, I finally got there. Now I get that far away look in my eye, seeing Smuggs in my mind, and mention how Smuggs is awesome just like that dude did that I rode the chair with a dozen years ago.

Viewing Smuggs as an improved version of Wildcat would be doing a disservice to Smuggs. The Kitty is nice, especially spring bumps, but the two areas are not on par. Smuggs leaves a lot more trails ungroomed, has generally narrower trails, some of the best and expansive glade skiing in the northeast (better than Jay, hands down), and back bowls are more expansive than Wildcat's TB. Some might view fixed grip double vs. HSQ and lines (you won't find them now, only during prime season) a draw back. Quite frankly, I appreciate having that time to catch my breath cause I need it. Smuggs is a special place. Go get it. :)