• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where would you go at the end of March?

Anklebiter

Our family ski trip in February got screwed up, because of my son education. Damn education! Unfortunately, we can't pull him out for a week anymore. He'd fall to far behind. So, we are doing some long weekend trips in January & February. I'd also, like to take just my son up around his birthday to Vermont. His spring break start March 28th. I going to use timeshare, so I'm limited to Killington, Sugarbush & Stowe. Which would normally have the best condition in late March?

Thanks

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I like the Bush for conditions, but Stowe and K are all great, Stowe been getting the most snow so far for the early season, I believe.

bdfreetuna

Every ski area in Vermont should have awesome conditions late march unless something horrible happens.

Which of those areas do you prefer? If I could take my pick, it would be Sugarbush.

Anklebiter

Top pick would probably be Sugarbush. We went to SB last season for two days and l left wanting more. We didn't get a chance to ski over on Castlerock. They didn't have the Castlerock Double running, even though the mountain was 100% open.

That being said, if it's not a good 2nd half of the season. My concern would be do I head to Stowe (Northern location) or to Killington with it's snowmaking.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stowe's snow making is right there with Killington these days. They don't blow a glacier like Superstar on any particular trail, but they make a ton of snow throughout the season even with being blessed with 300+ inches of natural each season.

I like Stowe better than Sugarbush, but I think Sugarbush is a better spring skiing mountain. They seem to get hit with sun for a longer portion of the day.

steamboat1

Sugarbush & Killington may very well be on a 10am-5pm schedule by March 28 (9am-5pm weekends). They usually change their schedule when we set the clocks ahead which will be March 10 next year. I don't believe Stowe changes their schedule. Just something to consider.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
When does Stowe usually shut down the Gondola? I can't remember but I know they shut the gondi down and go to the Four Runner only well before snow meltout happens on the gondi trails.

On the flip side, when does Sugarbush move all operations to South/Lincoln? They do the same... shut down an entire mountain and consolidate operations before melt out has happened.

Killington will shut down Bear with snow still on it, too...

I'd say just go with whichever mountain you enjoy the most. They will all have good spring skiing (assuming we don't get blow torched again like last year).

bdfreetuna

Sugarbush doesn't shut down North until pretty late in the game. Depends how much natural snow is left but I don't remember them closing it until the trails were full of holes.

Actually I got my last day of last season in @ Mt. Ellen and it was fantastic. It was 60 degrees that day, and it stayed super hot right afterwards and the season was pretty much dunzo unless I wanted to go ski just Superstar for another week or two.

steamboat1

I skied Mt. Ellen 2 days before it closed last year. It was toast then, don't know how they made it 2 more days. They had to shut the summit chair for about 45 minutes in the middle of the day. Ski patrol filled up toboggans with snow from the woods to put on the trail to keep it open. Only the summit chair was open to skiing, the lower lift you had to carry your skis. South wasn't much better, I think they closed Snowball that day, Heavens Gate was already closed. South may have made it one more week with only Steins open. It wasn't a typical year however since they had prolonged warm weather for a couple of weeks before closing.

I'm not sure if was the same time period but I think it was. Skied Stowe with only the Forerunner open. There were still quite a number of trails open with good coverage. They closed that weekend anyway. This was probably the first or second week in April.

Killington had only a few trails off the Superstar lift open for quite a few weeks before they closed on April 22. I skied there April 21 & it was still decent with Superstar still having a good amount of snow except for the head wall which was only a rocky narrow path on top to ski over. You had to walk over to Skyelark but it was still pretty good on that Friday. It was still open Saturday but they had lost a lot of snow overnight & you had to walk in a few spots which you didn't have to do the day before. Didn't ski on the last day Sunday the 22 because it went from sunshine & 70 degrees to rain & in the 30's on the last day.

But that's neither here nor there since you'll be up the end of March. Stowe had pretty much everything still going the trip before last I went there (end of March beginning of April). Even Big & Little Spruce were still open as well as the gondola. Killington is holding the Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge in the beginning of April this year (April 6) so Bear should still be going in the time period your planning your trip. Just trying to give you an idea of what happened last spring. Who knows what will be this year.

Last edited:

Anklebiter

I know last season wasn't the best. So, if anyone remembers. How much terrain was still open at those three resorts at the end of March, Particially blacks, moguls & trees? We'll have 6.5-9.5 hour drive for basically an extended weekend, 3 maybe 4 days of skiing. Oh, once we are there. I don't mind driving an hour or so, if condition are better somewhere else. Any chance the Magic would still be open if Vermont got a early spring/late March dump?

ScottySkis

I know last season wasn't the best. So, if anyone remembers. How much terrain was still open at those three resorts at the end of March, Particially blacks, moguls & trees? We'll have 6.5-9.5 hour drive for basically an extended weekend, 3 maybe 4 days of skiing. Oh, once we are there. I don't mind driving an hour or so, if condition are better somewhere else. Any chance the Magic would still be open if Vermont got a early spring/late March dump?

Last year is not a normal winter. Going on average winter I say Jay and Sugarbush seem to want to stay open the latest every year, I haven't been to Magic but once several years ago but from what I see on here yes Magic could be strong or weak by then depends on natural snow fall this winter but for the ones that would be strongest, K SB, Smuggs , and Jay, maybe Burke not sure how Burke is in spring but I need to get up their again.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You guys are talking about last year but last year was abnormal. Both Ellen and the Stowe Gondi get shut down weeks before the mountain usually closes in both cases. I'm sure you can search back and find a post or twenty from trailboss (and to a much lesser extent, deadheadskier) bitching about the early closure. :lol:

Late March I would imagine both would still be going but I can't remember for sure so someone that skis each extensively every season would be great to hear from in this regard.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looking at a calender, if I had to guess, the Gondola will probably close March 31st. Maybe they'll run it one more weekend beyond that, but I assume that will have to do with weather and reservations in the hotel. Unlikely it will spin mid-week that last week though.

and regarding what kind of terrain, they'll have open; usually all of the mountain is still in play at the end of March except Big Spruce and low elevation trees.

Anklebiter

Think I'm going to wait just a bit longer before booking. I also, think that I'm book at the timeshare near Sugarbush, that way I can head either North or South if I have too.