• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which Western ski area(s) have the best conditions for Christmas?

Hi all,
Had a friend come up to me at work the other day anxious to book a family Christmas ski vacation out West and asked where might I go? I replied Utah, stay in Salt Lake city and follow the snow to BCC, LCC, Park City areas, Powder and Snowbasin. But what I don't know is who has the best early snow and snow making capabilities. So I"ll pass this question to all of you to discuss: Which Western ski area(s) would have the best conditions for Christmas? (Assume that skiing ability would be at the intermediate level). Thanks in advance.

ScottySkis

That time if year you never know this far in advance. Slc for sure is probably great suggestions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

drjeff

Snowbasin, and Deer Valley have sizeable snowmaking systems in the UT market. Vail and Copper in CO also have sizeable systems. Sun Valley, ID has a decent one as well - so much of the West though is all about natural snowfall which can be an early season crap shoot!!

Edd

I wouldn't want to ski man made after trekking west. I'd look into the British Columbia ski areas for the most likely natural coverage that early in the season.

Last edited:

Razor

How about Lake Louise/Banff? There's a reason that the World Cup has its early season races there around Thanksgiving. Plus the favorable exchange rate gives you a big discount.

dlague

I happened to be looking at different reports for ski areas here in CO and notice that unlike NE, most seem to stop snowmaking by December if they make snow at all. I would image the same applies across western resorts.

snoseek

Honestly to me it doesn't really make a lot of sense to travel west that time of year. Yeah it can be fantastic but I've experienced terrible conditions in Colorado, Utah and Tahoe for Christmas week. At least back east the snowmaking tends to keep things consistent. 3 out of the past five years I would have traded Tahoe for New England in a second, December 09 in Colorado was WROD (at least at Loveland) and I can remember one year way back it poured rain straight to the top of Alta just before xmas week.

I tend to agree about going to LL/Banff. Maybe an area out west with snowmaking firepower like Keystone, Heavenly/Northstar, Vail or Copper if you must.

Normally I urge people to book last minute and use sites like hotwire, but I guess that's not really possible on xmas week.

SIKSKIER

How about Lake Louise/Banff? There's a reason that the World Cup has its early season races there around Thanksgiving. Plus the favorable exchange rate gives you a big discount.

The reason they have it because of their snowmaking.LL has less snowfall than most Vt,NH,NY, and Me mountains.It only averages avout 150 inches a year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hi all,
Had a friend come up to me at work the other day anxious to book a family Christmas ski vacation out West and asked where might I go? I replied Utah, stay in Salt Lake city and follow the snow to BCC, LCC, Park City areas, Powder and Snowbasin. But what I don't know is who has the best early snow and snow making capabilities. So I"ll pass this question to all of you to discuss: Which Western ski area(s) would have the best conditions for Christmas? (Assume that skiing ability would be at the intermediate level). Thanks in advance.

Well......do you want to ski cruisers or do you want a place that will have some natural stuff open and in good shape?

Of course it is hard to predict, but for the holidays, Snowbasin will have a lot of snowmaking done (and less crowded), Park City will be mobbed and have a lot open, Deer Valley will have a lot going (but it is expensive and may even sell out due to the crowds), and Brighton will have a lot going (they blow snow early).

Solitude--don't really know because I haven't been since Deer Valley took over.

Alta/Snowbird: best bet for natural, but we just may not have enough to get the good stuff open and decent.

KustyTheKlown

i pulled the trigger on the seattle area for xmas when i found too good to pass up flights. i'll be at crystal and alpental on the max pass. fingers crossed that the PacNW has the big early season being predicted

fbrissette

Revelstoke today. It's a safe bet there will be snow around Christmas.
attachment.php

Attachments

• revel.JPG
    revel.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 171

darent

nobody has mentioned Snowbird, I have done 3 early December trips there and have had great conditions each time.

farlep99

Instead of Jackson, check out nearby Grand Targhee. I was there the week before Xmas a couple of years ago & they were 100% open. At the time Jackson Hole was only about 50-75% open. Targhee is almost always 100% open by Xmas every year

*edited to add that it wasn't just that they were 100% open. Conditions were excellent as well. Had plenty of un-tracked stuff to ski!

jimk

Hi all,

There are a number of ways to answer. The best regarding early/late season is always wait until last minute, then go to the snow. But that can be risky/expensive at Xmas time. But I think your knee jerk answer was pretty good. If they need to buy airfare in advance to get a deal then get it for SLC and reserve motel last minute to stay with modest budget in the SLC suburbs if local conditions are good and ski the LCC/BCC areas and maybe others like PC and Snowbasin if they are also having good early season. The Wasatch (LCC and BCC) has as good or better chance than almost anywhere in the lower 48 to have good conditions at that time. And if it's not so great there, but better up north they could rent a car and drive up to Targhee/Jackson Hole 4hrs, or even Big Sky 5.5 hrs while still using SLC airport as gateway.
PS: Just saw JH or WB as most likely. I'd pick WB of those two if committing sooner rather than later.

Last edited: