• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whiteface-April 6, 7, 08'

Dave L

Website
newbski.blogspot.com
First off cheers to madskier6 for a great report and sweet pics!!
I originally had plans to be up just Monday, but the wife and I decided to get away for bit and came up Saturday night.

Sunday morning found us bathed in beautiful sunshine and warm temps...I couldn't throw down breakfast fast enough!

The wife now 5 months pregnant with our first, relaxed on the deck with a good book while I struck off solo amidst a "bustling" Sunday crowd-jk.
nastar.jpg

I made my way to the mid for a quick warm up run down the face lift and then headed back up to the summit lift.

madskier6 had sick pictures so I'll only put up a few along the way.

This was my first trip to the summit and I was in awe. One look out over the head wall of Skyward got me a tad dizzy...
skyward.jpg

I told myself, you know your limits and today is not the day. Little did I know that through some gentle coaxing, Monday would be the day!

I took Riva Ridge to the Follies, Excelsior and variations there of with an occasional run to the base. Resting my burning quads I took the gondola back up to Little and eventually the summit for several more runs and called it quits around 3:00.

Monday morning was setting up to be an even nicer day than Sunday. I met up with two friends from work who would later continue to push me to new heights.
blaine.jpg

mark.jpg

After a few warm up runs with them they had me on Mountain Run which was fantastic, then Skyward, Cloudspin and a bunch of variations that only my poor legs will remember.
mountain_run.jpg

The gondola wasn't running due to the scarce population at the mountain so I got to ride the little whiteface chair for the first time which was quite nice.
lilwhitefacelift.jpg

It was so warm the thought of being in the gondola would have made me over heat anyway.

While my compadres hit the slides, I downed Skyward again and met up for lunch at the base. The afternoon brought softer conditions and more aggressive runs down the steeps until my legs were jello.

I won't run on anymore, only say that for my last ski weekend of the season, it was one of the best weekends I have had any time of the year, and that Whiteface is and will continue to be my favorite along with the charm and comfort we find in Lake Placid.

tjf67

Are you from texas or do you have a southern draw. I rode up the summit quad that looks like you

lerops

Looks great.

I love this mountain! I was planning a spring trip after my terrific MLK weekend trip, but instead I have to rehab the knee. Well, there is always next year. I will be definitely be back.

Dave L

Website
newbski.blogspot.com
Are you from texas or do you have a southern draw. I rode up the summit quad that looks like you

The two gents pictured are guys from work. Which did you ride with?

This is me...all serious and everything:
100_3943.jpg

tjf67

The guy with the mustach and the stuff under his lip. Was a fun guy to speak with