• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why Don't More Mountains Do This?

MadMadWorld

Never been to Plattekill but just checked out there site and I think it's nice to see a mountain give the conditions of each individual trail. I like the idea of knowing what the conditions are like on each trail. Most mountains will only specify whether it has had snowmaking/groomed/ungroomed. What do you think?

dmc

Why risk it?
All it will do is cause threads on AZ about Ski Areas lying about conditions...

FRITOLAYGUY

It's a lot easier to do when you have 3 lifts, 1100' vertical and 38 trails

While i agree with your point its easier on a small mtn to do then why dont places with similar vertical like catamount, butternut, jiminy peak etc do it is what i think MMW was referring too. I think thats pretty cool too i never noticed they have the snow conditions for every trail not just an overall view of all trails

drjeff

An accurate report for most ski areas then would require them to hold 1st chair back until say 10AM - no deal in my book.

drjeff

While i agree with your point its easier on a small mtn to do then why dont places with similar vertical like catamount, butternut, jiminy peak etc do it is what i think MMW was referring too. I think thats pretty cool too i never noticed they have the snow conditions for every trail not just an overall view of all trails

Jiminy for example, would be pretty easy to do. The mountain ops folks know what trails they covered in cord the night before, and then patrol could likely tell them from the day before what trails are bumped.

Heck, Mount Snow essentially does this with the icons they use next to their open trails - green for open and then some squigglies next to it for groomed last night, some bumps if its bumped, and some flags if its got a race on it. Just green, no other icons, is open and not groomed last night and not primarily bumped

steamboat1

Heck, Mount Snow essentially does this with the icons they use next to their open trails - green for open and then some squigglies next to it for groomed last night, some bumps if its bumped, and some flags if its got a race on it. Just green, no other icons, is open and not groomed last night and not primarily bumped

Killington does the same except they don't indicate bump trails. You can tell if snow making is currently going on or if snow making was done within the past 24hrs. They also indicate which trails were groomed overnight or if a trail is closed due to racing. I think most mountains trail reports do pretty much the same.

bdfreetuna

Berkshire East does it. Just not to the extent that Plattekill does.

Yup. And with a relatively small amount of trails to account for it's very easy for them to keep tabs on conditions throughout the mountain.

I do like knowing if there will be ungroomed / bump / natural terrain trails in advance. But to go so far to say if one trail is icy and another is packed pow, etc... seems to be a lot to keep track of and impossible to be accurate about anyway.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's a lot easier to do when you have 3 lifts, 1100' vertical and 38 trails

Exactly. A place like Sugarbush with 110 trails or so would be a lot of work. Then folks would complain when the conditions change, etc. A happy medium is a ski patrol blog where they talk about generally what things are like.

ScottySkis

@slow chairs 2 crowded yes happy happy money for Lasszo today not a day at all, nice to mete A C A AFTERNOON ABC :):thumbup::thumbup::beer::cool::cool::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

MadMadWorld

Exactly. A place like Sugarbush with 110 trails or so would be a lot of work. Then folks would complain when the conditions change, etc. A happy medium is a ski patrol blog where they talk about generally what things are like.

I like that idea a lot. Updates throughout thr day would be nice

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I agree that in depth trail by trail reporting is of little benefit to most skiers. However, it wouldn't hurt most areas to give skiers some general idea (e.g. groomed, bumps, groomed right/bumps left, thin cover natural, etc.). These types of things wouldn't need to be checked daily as they are already known to operations. Some areas do this, not enough though.