• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why Ski (or snowboard)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Chicks, man. . .

Back in my younger days I came to the realization that as a single guy living in Boston that if you really wanted to close the deal - there's absolutely nothing better than going on a "ski date" with a girl. Day trip from Boston. Even if they didn't ski - do the bunny slope and have them hanging on your arm the whole day. Even better, you can sneak into the date - "hey, going skiing Saturday and my buddy bailed. You wanna go?" Best way to out kick your coverage and "date up" is to have them not realize it's a date until you are about half way thru that date. And it's the gift that keeps on giving: when you really want go to the next level = the overnight ski trip. Ski, apres ski, club it, then back to the hotel room - wow.

All the single guys on this board - you're welcome.

I never really fell out of skiing, but it was in my early 20's living in Boston and "ski dating" a lot that I kind of fell back into it and have been skiing a lot ever since. Since then the love of the sport has taken back over for all of the reasons that others have noted in this thread.

And yes, my 1st real date with my wife of 23 yrs now - was a "ski date". . . And I did definitely out kick my coverage with my wife.

:thumbup:
Can we induct this post to the Alpine Zone Hall of Fame?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Chicks, man. . .

Back in my younger days I came to the realization that as a single guy living in Boston that if you really wanted to close the deal - there's absolutely nothing better than going on a "ski date" with a girl. Day trip from Boston. Even if they didn't ski - do the bunny slope and have them hanging on your arm the whole day. Even better, you can sneak into the date - "hey, going skiing Saturday and my buddy bailed. You wanna go?" Best way to out kick your coverage and "date up" is to have them not realize it's a date until you are about half way thru that date. And it's the gift that keeps on giving: when you really want go to the next level = the overnight ski trip. Ski, apres ski, club it, then back to the hotel room - wow.

All the single guys on this board - you're welcome.

I never really fell out of skiing, but it was in my early 20's living in Boston and "ski dating" a lot that I kind of fell back into it and have been skiing a lot ever since. Since then the love of the sport has taken back over for all of the reasons that others have noted in this thread.

And yes, my 1st real date with my wife of 23 yrs now - was a "ski date". . . And I did definitely out kick my coverage with my wife.

I am married to a ski date ....for 30yrs . She stopped I did'nt. Jokes on me LOL. I had a lot of dates by asking a girl if she was single in the lift line ,kind of like speed dating. Met a really great Chinese girl at Killington in the 80's,she was an awesome skier we spent the weekend skiing together.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
That's what gives me the biggest rush while skiing and it's available every time I go and on every run I take. It doesn't always happen. But, sometimes the satisfaction of skiing crappy conditions really well is as rewarding as skiing perfect snow where the turns are there without effort.

Yeah, that's it. Although, hero snow is so named for a reason and there's lots of types of that.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

ScottySkis

I skied because my dad got me his addiction. I ski for love of being in the Hill's. I Ski for beautiful scenery. I ski to give me something I enjoy being outside when it not hot and humid outside. I ski for because it my favorite healthy addiction.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

wtcobb

I was just pondering this morning why I spend so much on a pretty useless activity. I could be less in debt with nicer furniture that doesn't sink in, nicer vehicles that don't have issues, nicer flooring in my house that don't have scratches and stains and nicer clothing that isn't old and outdated. Even if I didn't ski I would probably still find other things to spend money on besides these things.

There are significantly worse vices to have!

skiNEwhere

Everyone should have something that they are passionate about.

If you're not passionate about a single thing in life then what's the point of even living

jimk

I am married to a ski date ....for 30yrs . She stopped I did'nt. Jokes on me LOL. I had a lot of dates by asking a girl if she was single in the lift line ,kind of like speed dating. Met a really great Chinese girl at Killington in the 80's,she was an awesome skier we spent the weekend skiing together.

I am married to a ski date too....for 36yrs . She stopped, I kept going downhill. But she skied for about 30 of those years and "enabled" the addiction of the other five of us in the family. We still X-C ski and snowshoe together. We got new snowshoe gear this off-season. Gonna ramp up on my snowshoeing this winter.:grin:

Whitey

I skied because my dad got me his addiction. I ski for love of being in the Hill's. I Ski for beautiful scenery. I ski to give me something I enjoy being outside when it not hot and humid outside. I ski for because it my favorite healthy addiction.

Come on Scotty, we all know you are holding back here.

You ski because skiing while stoned is an F'ing blast. . .

Nheigz

There's nothing better than the feeling of taking the boots off after a long day on the mountain, getting some sneaks on and cracking a beer. Feels accomplished and like i lost a few pounds. Even though i add them back by eating well and drinking until i pass out.

Dickc

My Dad put me on skis at age 4. I had noted him reading a Skiing magazine and had asked him what those people were doing. He decided the best way for me to know was to put me on them. He had not found the time to ski for a while at that point and it was the perfect time to start back at it. Well, fast forward a few years, and I was no longer skiing as I had back surgery in 1979, and was told then not to endanger my back. In 1987 when having more trouble, medical science had changed its mind and skiing was OK now. Being busy raising a family, I did not go for a few years, but in 1994, my oldest decided he wanted to ski. He went off with a friend and had a ball. Its was not a whole lot longer before I went out with him, then his brother, later, my oldest daughter wanted to go, and finally in 1999, my youngest daughter wanted to go.

Today, I have a ski condo at Sunday River, my oldest skis when he can, but he can only ski with an adaptive group now due to a car accident. I volunteer at adaptive at Sunday River. First clinic is Wednesday. The two middle ones do not ski much now as they are now raising families, but the youngest daughter now works for Sunday River, and skis when she can still. She has to be the most avid of the four kids. My Wife? She went out once and has decided that sitting in the nice warm townhouse is a much better deal!

As I have had further back problems, and surgery this last summer, I am now a little limited on what exercises I can do to keep me moving. Skiing is, happily, something I can still do and keep these aging bones moving. There is nothing else I can do that would get me moving as fast as I go, nor that would have me out in fresh air. I am hoping that by skiing this winter I can revive some muscles and nerve endings that are still problematic from my long time back problems. The one thing I do know since surgery is I am no longer getting more and more crippled up.

Pez

Because I've had it ripped away from me on 3 different occasions and will never let that happen again. I want to keep skiing till I die.

That's no joke.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Whitey

I am married to a ski date too....for 36yrs . She stopped, I kept going downhill. But she skied for about 30 of those years and "enabled" the addiction of the other five of us in the family. We still X-C ski and snowshoe together. We got new snowshoe gear this off-season. Gonna ramp up on my snowshoeing this winter.:grin:

Funny how you, me and Silicone Bob all did ski dates with our future wives but those wives never really became hardcore skiers even after marrying committed skiers like us.

My wife still skis but it is more of a token effort where she'll take a couple of runs with us when we are on vacation. But when I say "I'm gonna get me and the boys up at 5AM tomorrow and daytrip to _______" she usually says "I'll see you when you get home. . ."

dlague

I created my ski wife! It was not a ski date at the start but we ski date all the time now. She did not ski 16 years ago and now she is the trip organizer, will ski almost anything with me and we have fun hanging in the lodge apres ski as well. However, it does take her about 4-5 days into the season before she pushes her self more. She is also part of the reason for the move and encouraged me to work in Colorado. We will target 50 days this year and hope to hit 60.

bdfreetuna

I created my ski wife! It was not a ski date at the start but we ski date all the time now. She did not ski 16 years ago and now she is the trip organizer, will ski almost anything with me and we have fun hanging in the lodge apres ski as well. However, it does take her about 4-5 days into the season before she pushes her self more. She is also part of the reason for the move and encouraged me to work in Colorado. We will target 50 days this year and hope to hit 60.

My first date with my wife was an attempt at XC skiing. Showed up at Mt Northfield and turned out they closed for the day due to melting. Whoops!

Either the 2nd or 3rd date was a ski lesson for her at Jiminy Peak. My 1998 Subaru Forester blew it's head gaskets about 2 miles from the parking lot. I managed to get the car into the parking lot after stopping to let the car cool down a few times on the way. Made it in time for the 11:00AM lesson, got my car towed out of there and she ended up meeting my Dad who I called to give us a ride home (he ended up skiing for the afternoon with me too, and my wife who I decided was ready to ski from the top of the mountain after he 1st lesson... she did okay).

Now it's 4 years after that, we're married and we ski together, she prefers to ski woods and bump trails. How about that :)

4aprice

Funny how you, me and Silicone Bob all did ski dates with our future wives but those wives never really became hardcore skiers even after marrying committed skiers like us.

My wife still skis but it is more of a token effort where she'll take a couple of runs with us when we are on vacation. But when I say "I'm gonna get me and the boys up at 5AM tomorrow and daytrip to _______" she usually says "I'll see you when you get home. . ."

I'm the lucky one then. 1st date with my now wife was to Hunter Mountain in New York, and she's still pretty hard core for the most part. She's the reason we keep our pass at Camelback. I was ready to give it up but she insisted that on those weekends where travel was not an option, she still wanted her mornings on the slopes. We had a great time bringing up the kids and now am looking forward to those empty nest weekends in New England and trips out west.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

DSCF4618_1_.jpg

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

I think she quit once she set the hook. She hates the cold now ,it's 50 outside and her fingers are like ice. She's rather petite so not much mass from which to loose heat ? She enjoys a good hike but hibernates when it's below 60f. It would be nice if she did but I kind of enjoy the me time.