• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat and Attitash

SkiingInABlueDream

I'm confused. Why are people lamenting the loss of the gondola cabins? I took my dad up there for a summer ride a bunch of years ago (long pre-Vail) and thought it would have been a lot more enjoyable as a chair ride.🤷‍♂️
I mean, maybe not if you're wearing a bridal dress but... well do any of us actually GAF about that?😅

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think non-skiers feel safer in an enclosed lift than on a chair with their feet dangling.

I'm surprised Wildcat does anything at all for summer activities. If they do continue to offer lift rides after the gondola cars are sold, why not offer downhill mountain biking? It would be the best setting for it on the East Coast being in the shadow of Mt Washington.

2Planker

I think non-skiers feel safer in an enclosed lift than on a chair with their feet dangling.

I'm surprised Wildcat does anything at all for summer activities. If they do continue to offer lift rides after the gondola cars are sold, why not offer downhill mountain biking? It would be the best setting for it on the East Coast being in the shadow of Mt Washington.
Because maintaining a DH MT Bike park is A LOT of work. I rode rescue for SR when they had it in the 90's into 2000's. Fun YES but we had a ton of trail work and NORBA races back then... Needed 10-20 staff everyday. Major carnage, Bikes in pieces, people in pieces...

Vail collects $$ for the lift ride, that's it. Minimal expenses for them

SkiingInABlueDream

Because maintaining a DH MT Bike park is A LOT of work. I rode rescue for SR when they had it in the 90's into 2000's. Fun YES but we had a ton of trail work and NORBA races back then... Needed 10-20 staff everyday. Major carnage, Bikes in pieces, people in pieces...

I imagine maintaining today's DH trails is even more work than 90s-00s era trails. I'm always amazed at how well trails at places like Highland and Thunder will be put back together after big rains.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I get that, but plenty of places seem to be turning a profit doing it. I would think offering 2k vertical of downhill MTB across the street from Mt Washington would be a major competitive advantage and draw significant attendance.

SkiingInABlueDream

I've been seeing blips on FB about the lift running during the summer. 🤷‍♂️

I do agree that gondolas are easier for ppl ego aren't used to riding lifts. And plenty of those ppl def visit the White Mtns region summer and fall.

Bike-parking at wildcat would be an amazing setting, aesthetically at least.

2Planker

I get that, but plenty of places seem to be turning a profit doing it. I would think offering 2k vertical of downhill MTB across the street from Mt Washington would be a major competitive advantage and draw significant attendance.
Possibly BUT Vail has absolutely No interest in building anything at this point. Nothing....

snoseek

Just a long flowy trail with lots of berms following polecat would be amazing...then again attitash already had an established park located more centrally and that was scrapped.

2Planker

Just a long flowy trail with lots of berms following polecat would be amazing...then again attitash already had an established park located more centrally and that was scrapped.
For many of the same reasons.... They couldn't staff it or maintain it...
Attitash barely get the off season maintenance done. No way they're taking on more.

VAIL SUCKS, But they're good at taking our $$, and doing very little in the WMV

deadheadskier

Staff member

Taking Vail out of the equation as they don't do summer, didn't the Attitash MTB park mainly close because it was too steep and technical for the typical rider? I had heard that from someone.

Wildcat is a less steep mountain than Attitash, so perhaps more suitable for MTB