• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Vertical Challenge

Edd

How are base depths holding up? Any news on the condition of Lynx?

I mean, it looks pretty decent, but with the temps next week I don't know. I hope it holds out, because I love it here. And, I won't be able to ski again until the 25th of March. I'm worried.

yeggous

I mean, it looks pretty decent, but with the temps next week I don't know. I hope it holds out, because I love it here. And, I won't be able to ski again until the 25th of March. I'm worried.

They absolutely buried that trail a few weeks ago. Seriously have never seen so much depth. But it has been warm, and Lynx was the first trail to melt out last year due to exposure in the S turns and below the pump house.

yeggous

Usually they cap participants at 50 about a week after registration opens. This year they've only 36 participants. Last year's accident must have scared people away. I know my wife is not happy that I am participating.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Madroch

I'll be back next year...did it a couple of years and have now missed the last 2..

yeggous

Everyone survived. 38 registered, 36 participated. 33 finished the 48 run goal. I was one of 8 to make it to 50 runs.

The S-turns turned into a luge track. The only play was to ride the loose granular pile along the snow fence. Fortunately it started to snow around 1:45. The snow made a big difference and salvaged the end of the day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Congrats! That's awesome. I'm not in horrible shape, but I sure as shit couldn't ski Lynx 48 times, never mind 50. Hell, I bet 30 would be my limit. Impressive

yeggous

The first few runs you are being cautious and getting the lay of the trail that day. By the twelfth run you are settling into the zone and unloading on the trail. By run 30 there is blue ice all over the place. You have to adapt your strategy to either rip down the ice, or surf the loose granular.

The hardest part about getting to 50 runs is that you need to maintain pace. It's easy to get cautious and slow down as you get tired. If you fall behind a 10 minute per run pace then all is lost. By the end I was clocking just over 10 minutes per run and it was making me nervous. I started up the chair on my last run at 4:05, and the lift ran until 4:30.

yeggous

It's back to work for me tomorrow so I won't be there.

If anyone needs a new helmet, we got a special promo code from Bern. Buy a new helmet and get a free goggle plus they'll donate another $5 to Make-A-Wish. Promo code WILDCAT16 valid through April 1.