• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Sochi Olympics be a disaster?

Warp Daddy

Really love the Winter Olympics , been watching them on Tv since 1960 at Squaw and before they were on TV used to tune in whenever they showed replays on the news . For my $$$ the best sports spectacle on the box .

"Always look forward to them , now at 70. I sure hope i.m around in 4 more yrs :flag:

Skier4life

Having watched the closing ceremony this afternoon, I can confidently say NO! Sochi was definitely not a disaster - a fabulous 17 days of winter sports! Bring on RIO...

BenedictGomez

The term "disaster" is perhaps too harsh, but these were certainly the worst winter Olympics of my lifetime. And frankly, they're LUCKY it wasnt a disaster. Some of the alpine events were borderline dangerous and someone could have been seriously hurt. Same with the halfpipe for that matter.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Why were they the worst?

No terrorism.
No Munich. 1972, 11 athletes slaughtered.
No boycott by the US. 1980.
No boycott by other countries. 1984.
No fascist showcase. 1936
Infrastructure worked.
No more soviet teams doped with drugs and women sporting facial hair.

Granted, I only watch the alpine events.
After the going nearly 30 years in an alpine medal drought, I'm thrilled with our results.

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

After the going nearly 30 years in an alpine medal drought, I'm thrilled with our results.

Yes the USA did pretty good on the results. However the courses were horrible. In the Pipe you had a very slushy bottom, all of the alpine races the courses were falling apart way worse than any other world class event I have seen. Its the Olympics it should have exceptional conditikns. Running a SL course at 50 degrees and haveing a slush course is not acceptable.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
I think they were excellent. As someone said, no massive disasters or tragedies. All the competition looked great.

Were some of the snow conditions sub-par? Yes. These people are professionals and they are battling the conditions and their fellow competitors. I think they all did excellent with what they were given! Is a rutted up Super G and slalom course more exciting to watch? Hell yea it is! Give them a course where they need to work for the gold! And plenty of our Americans did just that!

The winter Olympics are held outside and subject to the weather. While that area may be on the warm side and not the best for "good snow" is there anywhere on earth where you can expect perfect snow conditions for over two whole weeks at a time? Nope! Not happening, someone will always complain its too soft or too icy. They worked their a$$es off to make it as good as possible and my hat is off to them.

Disaster? Far from it. Congrats to Russia as hosts and their 33 medals. We came in second at 28, well done to our athletes!

BenedictGomez

Were some of the snow conditions sub-par? Yes.

All.

Is a rutted up Super G and slalom course more exciting to watch? Hell yea it is!
Give them a course where they need to work for the gold!

117 of the best skiers on the planet went down the slalom course, and only 45 were capable of finishing. That's not "exciting", it's pathetic. Poor conditions combined with a poor course set.

The downhill was borderline dangerous. And the early cross country skiing events were reduced from a high level athletic event to, "who's wax tech can figure out the salt/slush combo" first.

You can go on and on..... those are just a few examples. It may not have been a disaster, but it was close.

legalskier

Well this is embarrassing.

Dominica's Fake Ski Team Scammed The Olympics And The Press
http://deadspin.com/dominicas-fake-ski-team-scammed-the-olympics-and-the-p-1529973935

ku-xlarge.jpg

Cannonball

I'll admit that I don't follow ski racing or the Olympics all that closely, but is this really true? Is it even close to true? I thought I remembered 2010 was a great medal year for USA. I feel like Bode (x3?), Vonn, Mancuso, others(?) all medaled. No? Plus Bode, Ligety, Picabo from other recent years? Is there a technicality that I'm missing?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'll admit that I don't follow ski racing or the Olympics all that closely, but is this really true? Is it even close to true? I thought I remembered 2010 was a great medal year for USA. I feel like Bode (x3?), Vonn, Mancuso, others(?) all medaled. No? Plus Bode, Ligety, Picabo from other recent years? Is there a technicality that I'm missing?

Maybe just a drought in women's slalom?

wa-loaf

I think he's just talking about Slalom. We haven't gotten a medal there since the Mahre brothers.