• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wind holds on Friday

Vaughn

Looking at Friday's forecast and there might be a bit of fresh snow out there but there might also be a lot of wind. BW promotes itself as being a place with few wind holds - anything similar in VT? I think NH is going to be a mess due to the coastal nature of the storm in terms of winds which is why I'm looking at VT. I was originally hoping to get up to Magic but they just don't have many trails open.

Jcb890

If winds are really going to be approaching 50-60 MPH, pretty much everywhere is going to have issues with wind holds I'm guessing.

I'm wondering if this storm is going to be rain or snow... still doesn't seem to be a consensus.

KustyTheKlown

Friday rain. Saturday snow. GFS.

march 7-11 and march 14 look good, but that's pretty far off

KustyTheKlown

Is that depending on location or for all of New England basically?

pretty much all. its very easy to just check the GFS yourself - https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

midnight Friday (Thursday night) - rain moves into New England from the southwest
6 AM Friday - rain from western ny to the maine coast
12 PM Friday - snow begins to creep into western ny, everywhere else rain
6 PM Friday - most of NY is snow, most of NE is rain
midnight Saturday (Friday night) - snow everywhere but champlain and Hudson valleys, which are still rain
6 AM Saturday - snow from western ny to coastal maine
12 PM Saturday - precipitation dissipates but isolated snow showers remain across the region
6 PM Saturday - rain in southern NH
Sunday is clear.

drjeff

Just not much cold air across the Northeast and Quebec at the start for this one to get the snow machine going from the onset as it appears now.....

Jcb890

pretty much all. its very easy to just check the GFS yourself - https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

midnight Friday (Thursday night) - rain moves into New England from the southwest
6 AM Friday - rain from western ny to the maine coast
12 PM Friday - snow begins to creep into western ny, everywhere else rain
6 PM Friday - most of NY is snow, most of NE is rain
midnight Saturday (Friday night) - snow everywhere but champlain and Hudson valleys, which are still rain
6 AM Saturday - snow from western ny to coastal maine
12 PM Saturday - precipitation dissipates but isolated snow showers remain across the region
6 PM Saturday - rain in southern NH
Sunday is clear.
That looks like hot f'ing garbage. Damnit.

Jcb890

Although not far off from being pretty great for most of northern ski country. Looks like Maine, the Whites and the ADKs will do nicely either way.
It looks like Sunday River will be quite a bit of rain too at the base from what I have been seeing.

We've got both the MAX and Peak, so have some flexibility.

bdfreetuna

With how vastly different the GFS and NAM are even the latest 18z I'm not ready to make any predictions yet.

Night and day really

KustyTheKlown

I'm glad to be getting the hell out of dodge. kicking horse Friday-Tuesday, fernie Wednesday - Friday. may go to fernie a day early if they are getting more snow than KH. a part of me wants to go to revelstoke but skiing off the pass is verboten for my financial planning. and ikon will have rev/Banff next year anyway.

kicking horse scares me in a good way. one lift. 4000 feet. tons of chutes and hike to terrain. mmmm

fernie also isn't that far from whitefish MT, which I hear the best things about. would feel kinda weird crossing back to the USA tho...

bdfreetuna

^ do us a favor take some good pics. That's real bucket list stuff for a lotta folks, myself included. At least I've been to Sunshine + Lake Louise. Sunshine has some incredible stuff -- check out the "Wild West" for sure.

If I went to Kicking Horse I'd have a fresh roll of toilet paper in the backpack...

Jcb890

I'm glad to be getting the hell out of dodge. kicking horse Friday-Tuesday, fernie Wednesday - Friday. may go to fernie a day early if they are getting more snow than KH. a part of me wants to go to revelstoke but skiing off the pass is verboten for my financial planning. and ikon will have rev/Banff next year anyway.

kicking horse scares me in a good way. one lift. 4000 feet. tons of chutes and hike to terrain. mmmm

fernie also isn't that far from whitefish MT, which I hear the best things about. would feel kinda weird crossing back to the USA tho...
If you're not Jewish... :lol:

Smellytele

The weather models are still all over the place. Some say nothing some say mix some say snow for some and rain for others. We still need to wait and see. Even tomorrow is all over the place.

abc

If I went to Kicking Horse I'd have a fresh roll of toilet paper in the backpack...
Nah

It's steeper than average. But that doesn't mean it has no "normal" runs. There're sufficient terrain (maybe 50%?) in the typical black to double black steepness for those who're not into triple black super-steep runs (like yours truly).

puckoach

Keep an eye on your favorites. Bretton Woods getting over 3 inches of rain with winds over 30mph, Friday into Saturday.

For my winter seasonal business, we use Weather Underground.

There is a storm next week, lets hope it's snow.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
On the wind hold front, what do people think would be the "least wind affected" mountains in VT?

Magic.

I'm debating between VT and the Catskills for Friday. Looks like the Catskills get a little more snow and less wind maybe???

Still no consensus between the weather models less than 36 hours from the beginning of the event. This is a crazy storm!

GregoryIsaacs

Magic.

I'm debating between VT and the Catskills for Friday. Looks like the Catskills get a little more snow and less wind maybe???

Still no consensus between the weather models less than 36 hours from the beginning of the event. This is a crazy storm!

Agreed.. The Magic Double may be the wonder of the northeast Skiing world. Protected by tall trees the whole way up meaning it very rarely if ever gets put on wind hold.