• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windy days

skifree

Which mountain is best on windy days?
Less wind holds

wakenbacon

Bretton woods claims 10 of 5146 days have been affected by wind on their snow reports.

Edd

Cranmore and Gunstock rarely hold for wind.

I think Bretton Woods is the anti-wind hold king. We actually witnessed a wind hold day there maybe 5 years ago. We drove into the lot hoping for the best. An employee came out and I hadn't even gotten out of my car. He let us know they were shut down which I appreciated because it saved me from lugging our gear for no reason.

St. Jerry

Whiteface always seems to have everything opened even on the most windy of days.

C-Rex

Mount Snow is actually pretty good. I very rarely see wind holds there and with the new bubble lift it's a good place to go on a cold, windy day.

slatham

Magic is the clear winner. They have a lower summit elevation, two low profile and slower lifts, and both lifts are low to the ground at the summit - lower than the surrounding forest. So what to some people and at some times are liabilities become assets when the high speed lifts at the higher summits sit idle. Best place to literally ride out the storm.....

Wish I could be there for this one as I suspect they will be 90% open by Friday morning.