• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter storm Landon has shifted favorably incoming to VT and NY with Major foot plus snow totals and a small mixed in little sleet/Ice line possible.

snoseek

This one came in perfect imo. Right side up, no wind and fairly dense. Blower pow is fun and all but this stuff is a great balance of good skiable snow and base builder. It's powbump nirvana tomorrow.

skithetrees

Magic updated their predicted trail report for today (just about all SoVT resorts on hold due to lift ice removal) and it looks like they got ~2 inches of ice with ~2 inches of snow, all ungroomed marked closed for the time being.
Bromley isn’t reporting any trail closures, but I don’t believe they’ve gotten anyone up top yet. They might be the better move this weekend just since they have far more groomed runs than Magic.
It’ll probably be a good weekend if you’re into groomers, and this storm likely provided a decent base for those. If you’re looking for good skiing sans-corduroy you’ll likely need to keep going further north and out of the “ice zone”
Edit: this is as of early morning
Trees and all trails off green were fantastic today. Honestly far exceeded expectations. Red never loaded passengers (as of when I went in at 3:45). Rumor I am hearing is Bromley opened then closed and Stratton and okemo only opened lower mountains.

KustyTheKlown

Trees and all trails off green were fantastic today. Honestly far exceeded expectations. Red never loaded passengers (as of when I went in at 3:45). Rumor I am hearing is Bromley opened then closed and Stratton and okemo only opened lower mountains.

now that is some interesting intel...

drjeff

Easy ride up to Mount Snow. 91 was just wet from the Mass Pike up to Brattleboro this afternoon with the temp 32 +/- a degree or 2 the entire way. 9 over to Wilmington just had some light slush with the tire lanes mainly clear. 25 currently across the street from Mount Snow as of 5:30, with light snow just starting in the last 20 min or so. Got a DENSE 2" of snow appearing substance on the ground and about a 1/2" or so of ice on the trees.

Ride up took me an extra 10 minutes, and that's more because I willingly chose to keep the speed below 70 on the highways.

So far, and likely it will end up this way, thus storm has been a bust here in terms of what many forecasters were calling for

NYDB

Let us know how it is. Heading there tomorrow.
It was great. 15+ supportive inches. Snowing on and off all day. Great vibe. All trees and off piste good. everything bumped up by the end of the day. roads were surprisingly not too bad. Have Fun.

Love the terrain off of LPT and Outpost.

Last edited:

Zermatt

Fyi. Winter storms don't have names.

Also, Stratton is not selling tickets for Saturday. That's code for they made no progress clearing ice on the upper mountain.

ThatGuy

Shit its so deep you lost your skis!
I actually did lose a ski in Nosedive woods. Took a turn and it popped off in the snow, spent 15 mins diggingm until I found it.

@KustyTheKlown If you didn’t leave already I’d wait until tomorrow, plows still have some catching up to do on less traveled roads. Saw a few cars in ditches on 22a.

parahelia

Well. That was the sketchiest trip we’ve had to Sunday River from Boston in a long time. 4:45 (usually ~3:15 w/o traffic). The roads were terrible on 1/95 in MA - inches of sleet just piled up, like a plow hadn’t been through. Better in NH/ME but still snow and sleet covered. Got stuck behind a nervous driver on ME-26 who was going 15-25mph with a mile of cars behind. Glad for the snow tires.

But. Judging by what we could see in the dark, it’ll be more than worth it. They reported 16” at 4pm and it was still snowing when we pulled in around 10. Everything is open - can’t wait.

drjeff

Tomorrow is going to have alot of lift line pictures, especially because SoVT got skunked.
Honestly, anyone going to VT tomorrow South of say Okemo and expecting soft and fluffy, will only have themselves and mother nature to blame if they're honest

Mainer

22 inches at wildcat. Quad down for icing. I bet that line is epic. Skiing was good yesterday, thought about going back today. Then I sobered up.

Reactions: Edd

Jersey Skier

The crowds were heading north last night. I was heading back to NJ after skiing Gore. Amazing day. I couldn't believe how much traffic was heading up on NYS Thruway.

KustyTheKlown

@ThatGuy and @drjeff thsnks so much for the road intel. I left jersey city at 3 and got to k at 730. 87 was a breeze, 7 a lil hairy, decided to not push to sugarbush. It’s skiing great and no real lines yet except at K1. I’ve already got 10k of bumps and trees logged

snoseek

22 inches at wildcat. Quad down for icing. I bet that line is epic. Skiing was good yesterday, thought about going back today. Then I sobered up.
Just took.a look at the Webcam. They got the quad going now and are spinning the tomcat as well. Looks like a complete cluster fuck tbh. I was tempted to ski today as well but glad I didn't. I'll clean up leftovers tomorrow I bet it's just normal weekend busy

Kingslug20

Spent the day repairing the snowblower..then blowing the additional 3 inches that fell overnight
I had some F35s watching over me20220205_113625.jpg20220205_092502.jpg

cdskier

Brandon Gap was absolutely packed with cars when I drove by on my way up to SB today. The parking areas were all full and cars were parking along 73 in spots.

Kingslug20

Im waiting till monday to venture out again..i think the snow will still be there..and warmer temps all week.

Reactions: Edd