• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Woodbury, CT ski area to open again?

Killingtime

Two years after the death of its longtime owner Rod Taylor, Woodbury ceased operations in 2016. Though were efforts made to continue operations, the plug was pulled in 2019. Tapawingo Tubing, LLC foreclosed on the property on October 8, 2021. Stevens Engineering has been hired as the new ownership looks to reopen the tubing park as soon as the 2022-23 ski season. Ownership hopes to reopen the ski area after the tubing operation is restored.

I've been to three of the other CT places. They are small but good for families. Southington does decent night ski business. It was packed when I went last year. I wish them luck

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Two years after the death of its longtime owner Rod Taylor, Woodbury ceased operations in 2016. Though were efforts made to continue operations, the plug was pulled in 2019. Tapawingo Tubing, LLC foreclosed on the property on October 8, 2021. Stevens Engineering has been hired as the new ownership looks to reopen the tubing park as soon as the 2022-23 ski season. Ownership hopes to reopen the ski area after the tubing operation is restored.

I've been to three of the other CT places. They are small but good for families. Southington does decent night ski business. It was packed when I went last year. I wish them luck

Woodbury needs a lot of work. It's too small (even by CT standards) and too remote, in my opinion. It was really Rod's pet project. It also had a horrible reputation as being totally unsafe.

Doubt we see it return.

RH29

The main thing Woodbury had going for it was the early opens. Other than that...everything SS20 said. It's small and needs work. It's hard to have small community areas like that in CT, where natural snow is relatively weak and winter warmups are frequent.

Mainer

First place I ever snowboarded was Woodbury. Prolly 7th grade. Rented sorel boots and an old barfoot board. Maybe 50’ of blown snow( couple turns). My life was forever changed after that day. Crazy how great it feels to slide on snow. Happy thanksgiving

ss20

First place I ever snowboarded was Woodbury. Prolly 7th grade. Rented sorel boots and an old barfoot board. Maybe 50’ of blown snow( couple turns). My life was forever changed after that day. Crazy how great it feels to slide on snow. Happy thanksgiving

I too started at Woodbury.

Despite that I never ever heard of anyone going there to ski. The tubing most people in this area did try...and for most people it was one and done. Incredibly fun but super sketchy. Rather than it being a straight run like literally every tubing operation I've seen it was lots of banked turns made of earth/snow. At the bottom they had the typical slide-into-a-counter slope that was woefully inadequate. On the other side was a road or stream of cliff...something like that.

Abominable

Spent a few days and nights there in the early 90s. Totally unsafe but the parties were legendary!

If we're talking about the same thing, that tubing setup was possibly the remnants of an earlier attempt at a half-pipe? Definitely remember snowboarding it like one.

ss20

Not looking good... https://www.drakeley.com/pages/listing-details-r.php?listing=homes&category=Commercial&1256

While the main slopes look alright the chair, ropes, and infrastructure all look like they're being allowed to grow in.
getmedia-39_061.jpg

CrazyFingers

I’d call it a major stretch for a reopening for skiing anytime soon. Place needs a TON of work. Went to school close by but never skied there. Saw Phish there in 90

Last edited:

skimagic

The owner of Quassy amusement park bought it last year but it looks like it needs too much work so now he's selling ithttps://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/08/01/defunct-conneticut-ski-area/