• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worth it to get expensive goggles as a begginer? (OTG Goggles)

Peter

So after a 10 year break I went skiing last week at Sunapee and had a complete blast. I really want to start skiing again and figure I need some goggles if I'm gonna go again since my eyes were getting pretty dry by the end of the day (luckily it was overcast all day).

I'm looking at OTG goggles since I wear glasses (don't have contacts). I've tried on 2 different pairs at a local ski shop (Smith Knowledge OTG and Scott Storm OTG, the Scott's fit much better over my glasses) but I feel bad trying on goggles at a shop since I have a $75 gift card to Amazon and will probably be buying them online (my birthday is coming up in 2 weeks as well, which could mean even more $$ to there).

I've also been obsessed with the look of the Smith IO/X (and the interchangeable lens system), however they are $175 (or $100 from Amazon due to my gift card $$) and I don't know if I should be buying goggles so expensive when I've only been skiing once this year and don't know how much I'll actually be skiing in the future.

Any advice?

Thanks a bunch,

-Peter

mriceyman

i bought 55$ smiths and they are great imo... i break and scratch goggles too much to spend more than that on a pair.

Bene288

If you're going cheap I think Smiths are one of the better ones. Cheap Scott goggles are absolute junk. I tend to go through a pair of goggles every season, they get dropped or sat on. This season I may spring for the Smith I/O S. I really would utilize the interchangeable lens option. Whether you're a beginner or expert, you still need to see the topography of the trail. I prefer sunglasses unless its really overcast/windy

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
If you are certain to continue skiing I say go for the I/O... but not at the expense of boots or skis if you need to make concessions to get them I skied with cheaper (under $50) goggles for a long time and despite the fogging and wrong lenses foe the situation I still enjoyed myself.

Get em of you can afford em. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

jaja111

You are absolutely, positively going to break and scratch the sin out of the first 5 pairs of goggles you will own on this journey to the nirvana of snow. YOU decide how you like to spend your money.

Edd

I used to buy a set every year (scratches) but I've got a pair of Dragon DX goggles I bought for $20 on Steep and Cheap 3 seasons ago that are virtually scratch free and perform fine by me.

Cornhead

Never spent a ton of money, at one time, on goggles. My Son dropped $190 on a pair of Spy goggles, I about shit my pants. The best pair of goggles I've had, are the $20 pair I'm now using, third season, picked them up at the Walmart in Santa Fe. They do not fog, and are scratch free so far. IMHO, you should spend your money elsewhere.

BackLoafRiver

FWIW - I think I have a pair of Turbofan OTG's sitting around collecting dust. I used to think they were awesome until I switched to contacts. The fan was gimmicky as I could never get it to work but they fit real well over my glasses. Since going the contact route, I will never go back.

If I had to go with OTG's, I would probably go with the I/OX. I love the interchangeable lens system.

wa-loaf

You can contacts for the price of an expensive pair of goggles. So much better of an investment. I have contacts and I only use the for skiing (or biking) can't stand them the rest of the time, but they are better than dealing with the fogging issues you get wearing your glasses with goggles.

Peter

Thanks everyone.

The only reason I can even consider the I/OX is because my $75 gift card to Amazon, along with the possibility of getting ever more there for my birthday in 2 weeks. Otherwise they would be way too expensive.

I'll probably wait and see how much I'll actually be skiing and decide from there. Maybe try out contacts as well since I did start cycling last year and wearing sunglasses that aren't prescription would be nice.

Thanks again,

-Peter

o3jeff

That's a lot of money to spend on goggles, probably a lot of other cheaper alternatives out there and can pick up a helmet too with the money.

Mullen

I wouldn't spend a whole lot on goggles. Like others have said, they will get scratched, left behind, dropped, sat on etc..... at least mine. Watch steep and cheap and whiskey militia for good cheap ones. I just got a sweet new pair of spys for 30 bucks after shipping. Just make sure you get a good all around lens color.

Hawkshot99

Did you try on the I/O with your glasses? They are a larger frame, but still pretty close to the face leaving not much room for glasses.
They are a sweet goggle and I would consider them if they just fit my face better.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Peter

Did you try on the I/O with your glasses? They are a larger frame, but still pretty close to the face leaving not much room for glasses.
They are a sweet goggle and I would consider them if they just fit my face better.

I haven't tried them yet but I'm talking about the I/OX which are 12% bigger (than the I/O) and OTG compatible.

wa-loaf

I do have a pair of the I/O's and they are a kick-ass goggle. I grabbed mine off of Steep and Cheap for $60-something last winter. As nice as they are I wouldn't spend $175 on them ...

Hawkshot99

I haven't tried them yet but I'm talking about the I/OX which are 12% bigger (than the I/O) and OTG compatible.

Before you spend the money definatly try them on with your glasses. Yes they are bigger but not nearly the amount of room of a Knowledge or storm.

Peter

Thanks Hawkshot, I'll have to find some to try on somewhere.

I'm also still considering going to my eye doctor and seeing if I'm able to get contacts (I have a weird right eye due a medical condition I had when I was 8). Then I wouldn't have to worry about OTG goggles or not.