• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WTF with all the back packs

thetrailboss

Staff member

TheArchitect

It's like this thread willed those two incidents to happen just to prove a point :-? If you hear of some old guy hanging off the lift by his backpack this Saturday you can be sure it's me ;-)

skifree

my son got hung up on sunnyside lift at waterville not wearing a pack.
bungee cords that hold the seat pads snagged him. complained to mtn ops but fell on deaf ears.
I always check for snags before offloading now.

cdskier

Anyone see/hear any ski areas instituting new policies for packs on lifts? On Sunday Sugarbush was asking people to sit with their bags in their laps and specifically mentioned it was as a result of the incident at A-Basin (although this message didn't seem to be consistent from all lifties...but that could just be some staff being lazy or not caring). I'll have to admit, riding the lift with my pack in my lap was refreshingly comfortable.

TheArchitect

Well, it appears I cursed myself up-thread talking about how my Camelbak never freezes. It did on Saturday and while I was thirsty I didn't die of dehydration. I may try skiing without it next time out, especially if Sugarbush is now asking people to take them off. I STILL don't care what I look like if I AM wearing it :-D

cdskier

To be fair...this weekend was exceptionally cold (although with no wind it was very pleasant and didn't "feel" that cold). Interestingly enough, I didn't see that many people with back packs. I was expecting a lot more. (I also still don't care what I look like either!)