• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

You might want to skip Cannon late this week.

SIKSKIER

Looks like a shit show for the Mountain Dew finals.

We are expecting a larger crowd than usual during this event and are increasing our shuttle & parking capacities to get you where you need to go. However, we highly encourage carpooling to the mountain this day and encourage our Cannon patrons to utilize the Tramside if possible. Please look for signs and parking staff directing you where to park. We appreciate your cooperation! The upstairs level of the Notchview Lodge will be closed to public seating & gear storage from Thursday 3/26 - Saturday 3/28. Please plan accordingly

MikeTrainor

Looks like a shit show for the Mountain Dew finals.

We are expecting a larger crowd than usual during this event and are increasing our shuttle & parking capacities to get you where you need to go. However, we highly encourage carpooling to the mountain this day and encourage our Cannon patrons to utilize the Tramside if possible. Please look for signs and parking staff directing you where to park. We appreciate your cooperation! The upstairs level of the Notchview Lodge will be closed to public seating & gear storage from Thursday 3/26 - Saturday 3/28. Please plan accordingly

Typical weekend at Loon..

JDMRoma

Sikskier trying to keep the competition away so he can win the MD Challenge :razz:

Seriously, good advice on staying away. Wildcat anyone?

Yes ! Or Burke or Jay
Cannon and BW will be a cluster Fu&$
25 dollar tickets for their beach party.
I can only ski Saturday.... Want to make it a good one !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Back a few years ago when Mount Snow hosted the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge finals, it added about 600 racers and associated family members to the hill that weekend.

Noticeable, but not a mega amount by any means - The good people that put on the Vertical Challenge also bring a bunch of fun for all events and schwag outside of the actual race.

xwhaler

Yes ! Or Burke or Jay
Cannon and BW will be a cluster Fu&$
25 dollar tickets for their beach party.
I can only ski Saturday.... Want to make it a good one !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Do you think BW will be crazy busy on Saturday with the $25 tix? I was thinking of maybe going there.

Puck it

Back a few years ago when Mount Snow hosted the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge finals, it added about 600 racers and associated family members to the hill that weekend.

Noticeable, but not a mega amount by any means - The good people that put on the Vertical Challenge also bring a bunch of fun for all events and schwag outside of the actual race.

Get offmy mountain and go back to Loon! No you made me say it!

JDMRoma

Do you think BW will be crazy busy on Saturday with the $25 tix? I was thinking of maybe going there.

I haven't been to BW on a weekend in a while........the horror of the last time is still burned into my mind !

Im only Assuming the worst.......given the cheep ticket prices and the impression Cannon will be a Zoo too may drive people to BW.

Brad J

600 racers and associated people may not be a significant amount of people to Mt Snow , but at Wildcat it would be OMG , what the hell, please go home.

drjeff

Get offmy mountain and go back to Loon! No you made me say it!

Or you can do what Mount Snow and Killington did to "get rid" of the Vertical Challenge in all of its forms (qualifiers and finals), switch from Pepsi products (of which Mountain Dew is) to Coke products resort wide! If a resort doesn't sell the Dew, apparently the Vertical Challenge can't go there! ;)

Given the completely worthy charity, Make a wish, that the vertical challenge supports, I was sorry to see it go from my home hill!

Brad J

umm Wildcat? - Cannon is the place

what I meant was drjeff said that 600 racers plus support would not be significant crowd at Mt Snow and I was pointing out how my home mountain would react to that influx of people, not that it was Wildcat that was hosting

SIKSKIER

Yes,600+ racers and support is waaaaaay more noticable at Cannon than Snow.Snow is usually pretty crowded weekends anyway.Puck it puts it in perspective as to how spoiled we are.He claims Cannon was crowded Saturday by normal standards and I agree but I didn't wait more than 5 minutes in a line.Looks like I may be spending a lot of time tailgating or hanging at the rock.

drjeff

Yes,600+ racers and support is waaaaaay more noticable at Cannon than Snow.Snow is usually pretty crowded weekends anyway.Puck it puts it in perspective as to how spoiled we are.He claims Cannon was crowded Saturday by normal standards and I agree but I didn't wait more than 5 minutes in a line.Looks like I may be spending a lot of time tailgating or hanging at the rock.

The other variable that you have to take into account, is how many racers who qualified for the finals will actually show up? Just looking at the list of qualifier races, sure you've got the bulk of them across central New England, but there's a bunch of resort qualifiers that were held in Pennsylvania and Western MA and CT. And compared to when the finals were at Mount Snow, the extra drive time to Cannon from the people who qualified at those areas and likely live somewhere around those areas might be enough of a deterrent to keep them from going to the finals at Cannon and keep the overall numbers down. Who knows???

Cannonball

Interpretation:

Look, if you're a Cannon regular you're going to hate this. We just want to give you fair warning so we don't have to listen to you bitch about it. You already have your season pass so we really aren't making any money from you at this point. Why don't you do us (and yourself) a favor by staying away so we that can make the most of this opportunity to get some new paying customers. You can have it back on Sunday. Cool?

skiur

I was so happy when Killington got rid of the dew tour. It averted way to much snowmaking early season and ruined bear as it funneled way to much traffic onto lower wildfire. Bear is way to crowded on a weekend without closing down main trails. Good riddance!