• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your 2021 / 2022 Ski Season Thread

slatham

Given a general cycle of warmer than normal for 4-6 weeks followed by colder than normal for a similar time, having October above normal is fine with me, as long as its followed by below normal in November. Not much production in October anyhow ("normal" is still pretty warm when it comes to snowmaking). November is the key month with normal temps dropping sharply, so below normal temps are highly productive, mid-winter like temps, and benefit just about all ski areas vs a very few.

That is the forecast from several long range mets.

boston_e

Yeah, outside of the pandemic affected last year, getting north ridge open first is pretty much standard operating procedure.

XTski

With no world cup last year they got to Snowdon sooner and spread out quicker then normal and Superstar suffered cutting the season short, I understand they have capacity etc as they are the Beast, but the year before they barely got Superstar ready for the world cup because of temps etc, so they could try and hit that earlier the usual

ss20

With no world cup last year they got to Snowdon sooner and spread out quicker then normal and Superstar suffered cutting the season short, I understand they have capacity etc as they are the Beast, but the year before they barely got Superstar ready for the world cup because of temps etc, so they could try and hit that earlier the usual

They already blow Superstar anytime it is at all possible October 1-World Cup. They are even more liberal about it than making snow up in North Ridge.

KustyTheKlown

i saw something that was reposted by skiology facebook but which came from an actual weather source, but i am not sure what it was, and i don't really have a go to source for my own info on long term. but there's a big old ridge driving high temps up into Canada - it hit 100 in Montana or some shit this week - the jet is gonna push that warmth into our neck of the woods thru oct

machski

No WC also meant no extra portable air compressors rented and added into the mix to increase air (kind of important for early season makes when air needs are large for marginal temps). This should happen again this year and while that is to back SS make, it helps post WC too.

Newpylong

They still lease diesels but they don't fill out both pads if there is no World Cup. Usually 24 for WC years, 12 or less if not.

XTski

No WC also meant no extra portable air compressors rented and added into the mix to increase air (kind of important for early season makes when air needs are large for marginal temps). This should happen again this year and while that is to back SS make, it helps post WC too.
Cool, good point, they did blow some of the best powder on Super Star last season that led to early melting vs the normal early season boiler plate stuff that ends up looking like it ice cubes but lasts longer

slatham

Where do you guys get long term forecast?
I use two paid sites: weatherbell.com and weathermadness.com. I previously used Accuweather but don’t any longer (and their winter forecast is freely available). pivotalweather.com and tropicaltidbits.com are good sites with some free access to weather models, but you have to know a bit about weather etc to get good use out of them. I also follow Ben Noll and several others on Twitter. In fact Ben just posted a map of average Nov and December’s that followed a very warm October. It would be nice! I want a warm October.

abc

thanks all for the long range forecast web sites.

I'm not looking that far forward. I'm still in summer mood. So the warm October is music to my ears. ;)

But of course, it's followed by cold November and December will just be perfect for the switching of activities. As far as I'm concern, November is a waste of time. It's never good for much of anything except Thanksgiving time off and eating my heart out. Never skied Thanksgiving and have no plan to start. So it might as well be as cold as possible and set us up for a decent early season.

Not putting any cold water on the simmering kettle. But I'm not the jonesing type. I always enjoy what I have rather than waiting for what comes next. Right now down here in the flat land, we're still in the best part of cycling season. Just warm enough to ride hard without getting overheat. And the leaves are going to change soon (probably already changing up north?) which will make the rides most spectacular!

Although I've technically "skied" as early as first week of December. But I only did that once, in training session as instructor. Sure, ,it's skiing alright. But I'm not driving more than 30 minutes to do that kind of "ski".

Wait, I take it back. I did "skied" in October once! A few years back that Halloween "Frankenstorm" dump over a foot of wet snow on my backyard. I took out my cross country skis and did a couple loops on the golf course! The picture of me standing with skis on snow (and tracks behind me), and the still green and color leaves on the background, was good for a laugh at the Thanksgiving family gathering.

ERJ-145CA

Hopefully Big Snow if they can get there fire mess cleaned up quickly. Was supposed to go this week, doh!

For the real stuff I'd be surprised if it wasn't Killington.
I was planning to go to Big Snow also. It was a bummer. Hopefully it's up and running again soon.

ThatGuy

Not putting any cold water on the simmering kettle. But I'm not the jonesing type. I always enjoy what I have rather than waiting for what comes next. Right now down here in the flat land, we're still in the best part of cycling season. Just warm enough to ride hard without getting overheat. And the leaves are going to change soon (probably already changing up north?) which will make the rides most spectacular
Surprised the leaves haven’t changed at all downstate. This is what it looks like around me.
6AA96266-A51A-41B5-866D-891A72949BC2.jpeg
2C5F4AA0-C429-48C1-9FE1-57745AD898B6.jpeg