• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your 2021 / 2022 Ski Season Thread

speden

Well after taking last season mostly off for the year that never was, I weighed my options and decided I'm in for this season. May the snow gods of the northeast smile upon us. It rained like hell all summer, so hopefully the precip will continue and temperatures will drop soon.

I'm kind of disenchanted with the mega passes making big crowds, so I'm trying out the White Mountain "Super Pass" this year. It's hardly super in terms of number of resorts, but it gives me Bretton, Cannon, and Waterville Valley, which is a nice mix for me. I'm pretty well versed in BW and Cannon, but haven't been to WV in years. With its southern exposure, it could be a good option on very cold days and when I want a shorter drive up from Boston.

SnowRock

first world problems, but i'm a bit bummed that my season is almost certainly going to have less days than my typical seasons for a few reasons, mainly december-centric ones

- we are moving to a new apartment on Wednesday December 8. this basically means the prior weekend of December 4-5 is for packing and making sure we are ready to move house. we're going to jersey city and i have mixed feelings as a lifelong nyc'er. i work in jersey city so i will be a walk to work and i come out with a de facto raise by no longer paying taxes to NYC and NYS, and the apartment and building are amazing, and i get a parking spot so i am no longer a slave to street parking rules. still a bit of a hard pill to swallow;

- then my sister gets married December 10-11, which takes away that weekend of the move to settle in;

- causing a likely weekend of settling into new house on December 17-18;

- my office usually straight up closes from December 24-Jan 1, but this year we are open Dec 27-30, so my typical large December trip is out, as I'm taking lots of days off already for moving and sister wedding shit; and, finally

- we canceled our trip to Nashville due to girlfriend getting covid. she still hasn't seen her family at all, so there's going to be a winter weekend in fucking tennessee.

kind of really bummed that i don't really see myself skiing much in December this year...
What part of jersey city? As someone who lived in Manhattan for 10 years than the jersey burbs for a quick bit and now JC for the last 7ish years… I think you will like it. The City is so accessible if you are in Downtown and your drive to VT should be smoother. Enough solid restaurants and bars. Easy access to the shore and points north/west to escape for mt biking/hiking

While getting out of JC can still be a bit tricky it’s not like trying to escape manhattan/most of nyc. Lots of routes you can take to eject north to the thruway.

KustyTheKlown

What part of jersey city? As someone who lived in Manhattan for 10 years than the jersey burbs for a quick bit and now JC for the last 7ish years… I think you will like it. The City is so accessible if you are in Downtown and your drive to VT should be smoother. Enough solid restaurants and bars. Easy access to the shore and points north/west to escape for mt biking/hiking

While getting out of JC can still be a bit tricky it’s not like trying to escape manhattan/most of nyc. Lots of routes you can take to eject north to the thruway.

downtown, in the modera lofts building, which is equal distance between exchange place and grove street, right on the edge of where things start to feel 'cool'. my office is at exchange place/harborside and i think it's very sterile over there. but down by grove st and van vorst park and hamilton park it seems very my speed and style being a long time brooklynite.

interested in specifics on the best routes out of there on friday afternoons, because i've def been a little concerned about sitting in that shitshow area where 1/9/78/tunnel all meet

SnowRock

downtown, in the modera lofts building, which is equal distance between exchange place and grove street, right on the edge of where things start to feel 'cool'. my office is at exchange place/harborside and i think it's very sterile over there. but down by grove st and van vorst park and hamilton park it seems very my speed and style being a long time brooklynite.

interested in specifics on the best routes out of there on friday afternoons, because i've def been a little concerned about sitting in that shitshow area where 1/9/78/tunnel all meet
Got it. Modera is a nice building and that area is blowing up. Cool vines right downstairs is a great liquor/beer/wine store. DomoDomo for sushi/hand rolls right there.

And Yes Hamilton Park, Van Vorst, Paulus Hook all have a very Brooklyn feel. I’m not very far just down Warren in Paulus Hook.

Depending on traffic best bet is often turnpike extension/78 to 95 up to 80 to 17. If it’s a super early morning drive I’ll often go tonnele to 3 to 17 which is probably the most direct. And even with those general directions there are a few different variations.

Feel free to DM with any Qs.