• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

Agreed that they should do more there, but...

..this says you've never been on the antiquated E Lift, which might help clarify some of the reason why nothing's been doing there for a while. It's a clanking, slow old double. For that matter, there's really just two shortish, difficult-for-intermediate-skiers blues there (plus one trail I don't think we'll ever see open again.) I'm guessing there's snowmaking and other infrastructural problem there too.

Assuming B lift gets moved over there as planned, there should be some new life breathed into it in the future.
Lift definitely getting moved, but may take 2 years. New B lift will be in next year, they already marked top terminal.

catskillman

Lift definitely getting moved, but may take 2 years. New B lift will be in next year, they already marked top terminal.
How is the top terminal marked? I have the maps but it is hard to actually determine from it. They say they are beginning construction in March thru November. BUT - the town has only approved it happening IF they figure out drainage issues, correct the maps and a few other things. I hear the DEP and EPA also have a list of IF's but they have agreed to fix those issues, and/or they determined that they were non - issues.

They should just fix the lifts they have now!!

catskillman

Today's adventure - boarded the 6 pack just after 9am. In first wave going up. Just over the parkway, lift stopped. Almost to the infamous Tower 13!! The usual stop go stop go after sitting about 15 minutes. Eventually the lift was put on auxilary and unloaded everyone. The run down was my only run of the day. Skied down, B lift was also stopped. Friend sat on that for a half hour.

Skied over to D as I saw a lift guy standing there. He said it would open as soon as the lifties from the F lift got there. Well guess what, the F lift guys were downloading on the B lift which was also broken.

Meanwhile the lift ticket window was open and still selling tickets. Individuals that complained were given a ticket for another day, no refunds.

While it was windy, only about 15 miles per hour at that time, these lift issues are ongoing and the rumor is that they are sensor and elictrical issues.

Just checked the website and it says it is 52% open - but you cant get to about 35% of the trails. It is something every singe day here. I am sure the new GM wants to head back to Jack Frost......

How is the top terminal marked? I have the maps but it is hard to actually determine from it. They say they are beginning construction in March thru November. BUT - the town has only approved it happening IF they figure out drainage issues, correct the maps and a few other things. I hear the DEP and EPA also have a list of IF's but they have agreed to fix those issues, and/or they determined that they were non - issues.

They should just fix the lifts they have now!!
A few weeks back they drilled test holes for the top terminal footings, there is now a lolly at the bottom of 42nd street marking this. Of course they had to cut down the only tree left on a trail at Hunter, the famous twin oaks.
If you stand at the base of B lift and point to the top of Kennedy, that is the new alignment. It cuts across top of Kennedy and Gun Hill. Gun Hill entrance will be blown open.

catskillman

A few weeks back they drilled test holes for the top terminal footings, there is now a lolly at the bottom of 42nd street marking this. Of course they had to cut down the only tree left on a trail at Hunter, the famous twin oaks.
If you stand at the base of B lift and point to the top of Kennedy, that is the new alignment. It cuts across top of Kennedy and Gun Hill. Gun Hill entrance will be blown open.
saw it today. very different than their original plans and the prints I saw. Definitely not what they originally planned, but this is better than crossing midstation as was the original plan. the offloading bottleneck will be interesting and I guess gun hill will be shorter. Wondering if you will be able to take bleeker to gun hill any more.

catskillman

The flyer was shut down today for "scheduled maintenance", which of course was BS... But when they started it up again, that thing was flying like it hasent's been in years!!!

Lift Opps says the Flyer hopefully is fixed, but won't know till full load Saturday. Going to run full speed till then. Nobody at POMA had any clue how to fix the issue, he had to figure this out on his own.

Creakyknees

saw it today. very different than their original plans and the prints I saw. Definitely not what they originally planned, but this is better than crossing midstation as was the original plan. the offloading bottleneck will be interesting and I guess gun hill will be shorter. Wondering if you will be able to take bleeker to gun hill any more.
Will you be able to go from top of “B” to “F” lift? I went by this today and I did not see the Lolly but I did see a surveyors stake at the right side of Gun Hill at the top.

catskillman

6b pack was 1/2 hour late opening...as you got to the top of D lift the yellow jackets were yelling to everyone to check your speed as it was icy. Never saw that before. They were directing everyone down Huega when you headed that way for about a half hour.

Boy were they right!!! You could nto see the ice, solid white and extended almost all the way to the bottom of midstation. Yard sales everywhere...Never saw anythng like it. And of course the grooming on hellgate was a mess.

WTH happened.

Rest of the mountain was pretty good, but way to crowded.

urungus

6b pack was 1/2 hour late opening...as you got to the top of D lift the yellow jackets were yelling to everyone to check your speed as it was icy. Never saw that before. They were directing everyone down Huega when you headed that way for about a half hour.

Boy were they right!!! You could nto see the ice, solid white and extended almost all the way to the bottom of midstation. Yard sales everywhere...Never saw anythng like it. And of course the grooming on hellgate was a mess.

WTH happened.

Hey @catskillman your unending negativity towards Hunter is quite entertaining, but if it always so awful, I am genuinely curious as to why you keep going back ?

catskillman

Hey @catskillman your unending negativity towards Hunter is quite entertaining, but if it always so awful, I am genuinely curious as to why you keep going back ?
It is always accurate for sure! Happy to entertain...

Stuck here for now. Multiple choice - Kids, family, real estate, fill in the blank

catskillman

It is always accurate for sure! Happy to entertain...

Stuck here for now. Multiple choice - Kids, family, real estate, fill in the blank
BTW it was not always so awful here - actually it was great. I only note about half the craziness here....I have other thing to occupy me. Maybe some day......

zyk

BTW it was not always so awful here - actually it was great. I only note about half the craziness here....I have other thing to occupy me. Maybe some day......
I left about 3 years ago. Had many good years before. Great mountain, great times. Open the west side and lift midweek maybe I'll be back.

So Inclined

Minya to Lower Crossover (in particular) and East Side to Milky Way were just fine, conditions and crowdwise. You could have a very nice morning skiing there in the sun, and I did.