• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

tnt1234

Was thinking about Hunter for sat. but sounds like the 6-pack has had serious issues?

Sounds risky to be the Guinea pigs on a crowded Saturday!

catskillman

Was thinking about Hunter for sat. but sounds like the 6-pack has had serious issues?

Sounds risky to be the Guinea pigs on a crowded Saturday!
Rode it today - it stopped 4 of the 7 times I rode it. very cold and fortunatly I wasnt't stopped in the path of the snow guns!

Very nice conditions..

catskillman

rode 10 x yesterday and it never stopped.
lucky guy. today it stopped twice, under 5 minutes each time. lucky me

blowing snow everywhere. very decent conditions for sure, a bit on the chilly/freezing side ....

catskillman

agreed. dangerous actually ... lack of visibility made it worse. A bluebird day would not have helped with the grooming issues

Creakyknees

It’s a miracle; this past weekend Hunter is now finally posting what trails they are blowing snow on. The weekend was very cold and on the snow report for Saturday it indicated to be mindful about the possibility of frostbite and if you need to warm up you can come inside and sit by one of the many warm fireplaces. Are they clueless Hunter has not used those fireplaces for a few years.

I did get to ski from Thursday to Sunday with Thursday being the best out of the four days. The snowmaking was fantastic especially on mainline. The snowmaking was very consistent (no wet guns) and the best part was midstation down into Kennedy and no lift lines on Thursday.

catskillman

They didn't lie, you can sit by one of the fireplaces, they didn't say there would be a fire burning in it!
You are so right - Vail is green so they ae not buring wood in the base lodge or at the hotel. They may still burn it at the summit..have not been in there this season, and there was not any heat in there. Since they threw out Scotties there is no heat from their ovens etc.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Was sad to observe this weekend that what was once Empire Glade is now an intermediate trail called "Empire Trail". What a dumb idea for a mountain with plenty of blue runs and now zero glades on the lower main face (and few anywhere).

Had a couple real nice days at the Mt. though. Soft moguls on Racer's Edge Sunday afternoon were so nice my daughter insisted we ski them twice in a row for our last two runs.

JimG.

Staff member
Was sad to observe this weekend that what was once Empire Glade is now an intermediate trail called "Empire Trail". What a dumb idea for a mountain with plenty of blue runs and now zero glades on the lower main face (and few anywhere).

Had a couple real nice days at the Mt. though. Soft moguls on Racer's Edge Sunday afternoon were so nice my daughter insisted we ski them twice in a row for our last two runs.
Trees next to Madison Ave are plenty fun.

Today, so nice to have some powder. Bumps on Cliff, Upper Cross and Racers. Overlook not bad. Typical snot snow guns, they had to close Ike. Ski patrol says they are tired of complaining to snowmaking so they just close the trails.

kingslug

This seems to be a new thing..closing the trails for snowmaking. Stowe and sb do it now more often. I used to like skiing under the guns...not so much anymore.
Hunter used to blow so much it would be a powder day!

danimals

Today, so nice to have some powder. Bumps on Cliff, Upper Cross and Racers. Overlook not bad. Typical snot snow guns, they had to close Ike. Ski patrol says they are tired of complaining to snowmaking so they just close the trails.
So that is confirmation that they are pumping out a crap product from the guns? I have never ridden worse snow after a week of snowmaking than at hunter this year.