• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do we seek?

Grassi21

We're very lucky. We started skiing at the same time and we both fell head over heels for it....um..literally!

Same here. Skiing is one of the loves of my life that my wife has exposed me. She rocks!

thaller1

This thread prompted me to register. So greetings all
Like my handle says, I ski midweek and take a financial hit to do so. I live for winter. My wife tolerates my addiction and has even agreed to take a winter off and head to SLC for big mountain skiing within the next 3 years.
Summers are spent updating the quiver. This years additions are a pair of vintage zebra based Chubbs (basically, they are new) and a spanking new pair of Fischer FX8's I am stoked :spread:

Welcome aboard!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Utah.. :) I'm heading there in January for 2 weeks.. and Fischer's rule!

jack97

I’m not going to work today because I was at a ski related meeting last night, (won’t bore you with details), got home too late, and couldn’t fall asleep because of a change in policy that really ticked me off. We’re constantly looking for a second house in Lake Placid that we can afford.
Sometimes doing all the planning and organization is like “herding cats”. Maybe I ‘m taking the easy way out, I rather spend the bulk of my time on the actual skiing part.

Skibum_dan

Skiing is perhaps the healthiest thing for my mental stability. I don't tend to think about too many other things while I am skiing so it is a good way to let whatever frustrations I may have from work, or anything else, dissipate. Anticipating skiing when I am not able to ski (summer or working) keeps my eye on the prize. There's nothing wrong with looking forward to doing what you love to do. If you can involve your friends/spouse that's cool too. My wife skis and loves it just as much as I do, so I'm lucky there. If your friends don't ski then they are not your friends....ha just kidding. If your friends don't ski but are truly your friends, they will understand that skiing is a huge part of who you are and will respect that.

thaller1

If your friends don't ski but are truly your friends, they will understand that skiing is a huge part of who you are and will respect that.

This hit home for me.. I have some friends who whine that we don't spend enough time with them during the winter.. sorry,ski season is short and I pay a lot of money for gear and tickets... I'm going to get out there and utilize every moment I can.. they'll just have to understand or deal with it!

Zindar

Yea, but what about when the spouse is NOT as psyched about skiing. That makes it tough. The friends and coworkers can get over it, but the wife tends not to.

Sheik Yerbouti

Yea, but what about when the spouse is NOT as psyched about skiing. That makes it tough. The friends and coworkers can get over it, but the wife tends not to.

I live in that house. My wife has zero interest in skiing, and thinks, well, I'm nuts to do it. I knew this going in, but if she'd try it just once, maybe she'd develop the love and passion I have for it. Even though I only go 5, maybe 10 times a year, I look forward to each time like it is my first time. The fresh air, the feel of the wind, the anticipation of a new run on a new slope, everything, even the lazy, long blue runs, I think I like those the best. Get off at the top of the hill, ski all the way down the most winding way you can, enjoy the solitude, the beauty and serenity.
Damn, I have it bad...

thaller1

I live in that house. My wife has zero interest in skiing, and thinks, well, I'm nuts to do it. I knew this going in, but if she'd try it just once, maybe she'd develop the love and passion I have for it. Even though I only go 5, maybe 10 times a year, I look forward to each time like it is my first time. The fresh air, the feel of the wind, the anticipation of a new run on a new slope, everything, even the lazy, long blue runs, I think I like those the best. Get off at the top of the hill, ski all the way down the most winding way you can, enjoy the solitude, the beauty and serenity.
Damn, I have it bad...

I really sympathize with you guys! I personally can't imagine staying home while my husband went off to ski or not being interested in it myself. I'm very grateful that we share the passion and it makes us a much happier couple. I hope for both of you something changes in the wind and gives the wives a spark that will interest them in the fresh air, sense of fulfillment, exciting travel and spiritual enlightenment that goes w/skiing.

ajl50

I might as well not even tried to learn about corporate law today. This thread has me totally on a mental holiday right now as I think about what I seek/why I love skiing.
1. I ski because it is the exact opposite of law school. It's outside, there are no rules, and you are so free to move. In law school I just sit and stare at a computer screen but with skiing I'm staring at mountains and valleys and blazing white snow. Instead analyzing everything when I ski I turn off the analytical part of my brain that runs in overdrive and just feel. Instead of thinking I feel the snow, the wind, the sun, the falling snow, the bumps, the turns, the edges, the pinch of my boots- it' so refreshing.
2. I crave skiing because its just fun. Its the first sport i have ever done that strikes me as just flat out fun. I used to be a highly competitive rower and swimmer, and while I love these sports deeply, they were never 1/2 as much fun as skiing. With all the time i don't have, to get out there for a day or week and have fun is priceless
3. Since my girlfriend got me into skiing I can't agree more with the sentiment expressed that skiing is a great relationship builder. We have shared so much through skiing that we could have never shared through law school and working. It has given us a great opportunity to push each other and challenge each other and have fun together.

Well I rambled and it made no sense. I'm sure when my GF reads this she'll laugh because I ramble all the time and can't write a good post to save my life. Whatever. I'm paying for dinner tonight, I can ramble.

Kerovick

I tried to get my wife into it. I got her on the slopes, she was doing great and having fun till she hit some crud on the side of the trail and sprained her ACL. That was 2 years ago and I think I have her talked in to trying it again at Whiteface in December. The only reason I think she's going then is cause some of her familly will be there (they live up there),

Kero

JimG.

Staff member
I might as well not even tried to learn about corporate law today. This thread has me totally on a mental holiday right now as I think about what I seek/why I love skiing.
1. I ski because it is the exact opposite of law school. It's outside, there are no rules, and you are so free to move. In law school I just sit and stare at a computer screen but with skiing I'm staring at mountains and valleys and blazing white snow. Instead analyzing everything when I ski I turn off the analytical part of my brain that runs in overdrive and just feel. Instead of thinking I feel the snow, the wind, the sun, the falling snow, the bumps, the turns, the edges, the pinch of my boots- it' so refreshing.
2. I crave skiing because its just fun. Its the first sport i have ever done that strikes me as just flat out fun. I used to be a highly competitive rower and swimmer, and while I love these sports deeply, they were never 1/2 as much fun as skiing. With all the time i don't have, to get out there for a day or week and have fun is priceless
3. Since my girlfriend got me into skiing I can't agree more with the sentiment expressed that skiing is a great relationship builder. We have shared so much through skiing that we could have never shared through law school and working. It has given us a great opportunity to push each other and challenge each other and have fun together.

Well I rambled and it made no sense. I'm sure when my GF reads this she'll laugh because I ramble all the time and can't write a good post to save my life. Whatever. I'm paying for dinner tonight, I can ramble.

Another extremely well patient...congrats on your sound thinking.

JimG.

Staff member
Damn, I have it bad...

Gentlemen, this is what shopping is for. Bring your wives to a fancy resort, get her a nice spa treatment, give her the credit card, and say goodbye to the budget!

She will thank you and you will ski.

Skibum_dan

Responding to Sheik Yerbouti on this one (and others who might be in the same boat)…I can understand where it might be difficult if your significant other didn't ski or didn't like to ski as much as you. Part of it is that that they might not be able to relate to the sensation you get when out on the hill. Hitting an awesome powder day, enjoying some fast GS turns, learning a new trick or simply enjoying a beautiful day on a mountain is something that we all know to be awesome and we have a lot of enthusiasm for that. It’s an enthusiasm you only really know if you’ve been there. You can’t describe it well enough. You have to do it. That said, you definitely don’t want to force your interests down your SO’s throat. Just because you love something doesn’t mean someone else is going to share the enthusiasm to the extent you do….especially if they are new to the activity, whatever it may be…in this case, skiing. If you get a chance to get out on the slopes with your SO, don’t be too overbearing with your enthusiasm, let them discover what you already have.

SKIQUATTRO

my wife shares my passion for skiing equally, and now my 4yr old is jonesing too!!! Wife came in from Pilates last night and said "my legs are ready for the bumps"!!!!!!! thats my girl!!! no better lifestyle.....

Skibum_dan

Yeah, it certainly helps when your SO has just as much enthusiasm. My wife started with snowboarding growing up. I got her into skiing. Now she is getting me into tele. We are both suffering from some bad ski fever right now. Thank goodness for ski movies and these forums....

jack97

Gentlemen, this is what shopping is for. Bring your wives to a fancy resort, get her a nice spa treatment, give her the credit card, and say goodbye to the budget!

She will thank you and you will ski.

I heard/read a short clip about married couples who have stayed together for a very long time. Their secret was to have seperate interest, time away from each other could be a good thing. :confused:

Sheik Yerbouti

I heard/read a short clip about married couples who have stayed together for a very long time. Their secret was to have seperate interest, time away from each other could be a good thing. :confused:

We each have our interests, but skiing takes the whole day away, between travel there and back, ski time and when you get home you're (I'm) usually pooped, take a shower and vegitate. However, she has mentioned that she'd go, spend some time at the lodge while I skied.
BUT, what if she wants to leave early, gets bored, etc, you're out a day of skiing and if you ever go again together, knowing there's a chance she'll want to leave early will always be in the back of your head.
If she'd be ok with hanging out at the lodge, shopping, etc, that would be fantastic, we'd eat lunch/dinner together, but I usually ski from first chair to about 4 - 6pm, and that's a long time for someone to wait.

Skibum_dan

jak97, very good point. I think it's key that couples never feel forced into activities . We both happen to love skiing which works out but in the summer she enjoys running where I view it as more of a means to an end. I'll do it to stay in shape, but I'd much rather go out for a mtn bike ride. Respecting eachother's space and differneces is equally as important as having activities that you both enjoy. How to strike a balance? I'm sure it's a case by case thing.

Skibum_dan

Sheik, that's a thoughy. If she isn't into skiing what about snowshoes or some other activity for the day while you are off skking?...