• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Without Looking

BeanoNYC

Jim...I'm sorry if I'm sounding thick on this pole length issue. I just checked my poles, they are 48's. I'm 5'10'. According to you this is way too big but this goes against everything anyone has ever told me regarding poles. What would be the advantage to shortening them a few inches?

Greg

Staff member
Jim...I'm sorry if I'm sounding thick on this pole length issue. I just checked my poles, they are 48's. I'm 5'10'. According to you this is way too big but this goes against everything anyone has ever told me regarding poles. What would be the advantage to shortening them a few inches?

For groomed trail skiing, the "arm at right-angle" approach is appropriate. For bumps, you need to go shorter than that; anywhere from 4-6" shorter. The thinking is that at least part of the time when you're pole planting in the moguls, you're also fully absorbing a bump and therefore your body overall is lower. A longer pole may force your hands up (or you might pole plant too aggressively) and that throws you off balance. I probably spend 50% of my time in the bumps and dropped from 50" to 48" (I'm 6'1") last season. I'm going to cut one set of poles down to 46" and see how that goes. If you stick mostly to groomed terrain, your 48 inchers are probably fine.

JimG.

Staff member

Let me qualify...I think those are too long for you if you're skiing bumps.

48" might be fine when carving groomers, but when you're zipperlining bumps those long poles really get in the way and hinder good absorption/extention.

You want bump poles to be about a full grip's length shorter than what you might normally ski. I've gotten so used to shorter poles that long poles always get in the way now, even on groomers.

For everyone who I've gotten to think about this issue, adjustable poles are a good solution.

BeanoNYC

Let me qualify...I think those are too long for you if you're skiing bumps.

48" might be fine when carving groomers, but when you're zipperlining bumps those long poles really get in the way and hinder good absorption/extention.

You want bump poles to be about a full grip's length shorter than what you might normally ski. I've gotten so used to shorter poles that long poles always get in the way now, even on groomers.

For everyone who I've gotten to think about this issue, adjustable poles are a good solution.

Thanks...I'm really considering shortening with this shoulder injury I have. I really wanted to work on bumps this year but am a bit hesitant with the injury.

DEVO

Different companies make a wide variety of poles. Goode and i know Kerma make their composits SUPER SOFT, you need to be a really small person to use them without having them really bow out. Rossignol i know made a composite pole that the tip and grip ends were standard, but the center was square shaped. This allowed thje vibrations to be dampened in the top and bottom of the pole, where the center was stiffer then most alluminum poles, if you really like the stiff poles but want something a little more forgivingthen somethign like that would be a great idea. When looking at poles compare a few, and you will quickly see how each model differs from the previous.. Everyone likes a different style, for me is a Med. stiff composite.

I used to think composite poles were too noodly until I tried the K2 4/5/6 speed line. I now own a pair of the 4 speeds. They are just about as stiff feeling as aluminum poles and when I bend them too far, they bend right back! I read somewhere that these poles are made by Shakespeare (the fishing pole company) for K2.

Hawkshot99

I used to think composite poles were too noodly until I tried the K2 4/5/6 speed line. I now own a pair of the 4 speeds. They are just about as stiff feeling as aluminum poles and when I bend them too far, they bend right back! I read somewhere that these poles are made by Shakespeare (the fishing pole company) for K2.

K2 and Shakespeare are just 2 of the many compnaies under neithe the one huge company.

eastcoastskiier

yea the speed series is a very nice stifness.. i feel that the 5 and 6 speed have a FAR superior grip though then this years 'plain jane' foam grip on the 4 speed

DEVO

yea the speed series is a very nice stifness.. i feel that the 5 and 6 speed have a FAR superior grip though then this years 'plain jane' foam grip on the 4 speed

I agree and I keep saying that I am going to replace mine with some better grips from an older set of poles. I just keep forgetting.

Hawkshot99

That and the fact that the Speed four with the foam grip is nearly impossible to cut down. The grips are basically imposible to remove without destroying them.

Greg

Staff member
That and the fact that the Speed four with the foam grip is nearly impossible to cut down. The grips are basically imposible to remove without destroying them.

Interesting that you mentioned this as I was coming into this thread to say that I just successfully cut down my 4-speeds. The hair dryer on the grip worked well and I was able to twist the pole out of the grip which was in a bench-top vice with two pieces of wood to protect the grip. I thought the poles were 48" but they were actually 50" so I whacked them down to 47".

tjf67

I have been buying adjustable poles for a couple of years now. When I am in the steeps and being agressive I shorten them up. If I am traversing I pull them out.
The material does not matter they all snap. The composite ones make that distinctive sound when they snap. Kinda sounds like when you thow a hundred bucks out the window.
WHatever is the cheapest when I need a pole is the brand I get.

BeanoNYC

Interesting that you mentioned this as I was coming into this thread to say that I just successfully cut down my 4-speeds. The hair dryer on the grip worked well and I was able to twist the pole out of the grip which was in a bench-top vice with two pieces of wood to protect the grip. I thought the poles were 48" but they were actually 50" so I whacked them down to 47".

The last few times that i have been skiing, I've been quite cognizant of my poles/hand positions/yada-yada. I've come to realize that if I want my pole to be perpendicular to the ground, I have to keep my hands up near my face to prevent them from snagging on anything but groomers. I've been lowering my hands and holding the poles in a more parallel to the ground. I think I'm going to cut down my 4 speeds this weekend. Any other tips, Greg?

Greg

Staff member
The last few times that i have been skiing, I've been quite cognizant of my poles/hand positions/yada-yada. I've come to realize that if I want my pole to be perpendicular to the ground, I have to keep my hands up near my face to prevent them from snagging on anything but groomers. I've been lowering my hands and holding the poles in a more parallel to the ground. I think I'm going to cut down my 4 speeds this weekend. Any other tips, Greg?

Not really. It was pretty easy. Just be sure to heat them up sufficiently. I like my poles at 47".

drjeff

Just received a pair of 52" Swix Mach poles for x-mas. I actually put them next to my tried and true Scott world cup racers and did a little lean on them with my 215lbs to see how the composites flexed vs. the S4 aluminum and the composites were stiffer on visual appearance. Really cool substantial airfloil shape. Looking forward to getting them on the hill this weekend, and hopefully if mother nature ever decides to cooperate with a few storms, into the trees to "de-virginize" the graphics with a little tree sap and pieces of bark!

eastcoastskiier

Just received a pair of 52" Swix Mach poles for x-mas. I actually put them next to my tried and true Scott world cup racers and did a little lean on them with my 215lbs to see how the composites flexed vs. the S4 aluminum and the composites were stiffer on visual appearance. Really cool substantial airfloil shape. Looking forward to getting them on the hill this weekend, and hopefully if mother nature ever decides to cooperate with a few storms, into the trees to "de-virginize" the graphics with a little tree sap and pieces of bark!

you will love the composites.. and that airfoil shape is used not only for "aerodynamics" so they say but for for its structural componets. have fun

drjeff

you will love the composites.. and that airfoil shape is used not only for "aerodynamics" so they say but for for its structural componets. have fun

I know, and from what I've seen looking at other composites (and some aluminum for that matter) the size of the airfoil shape on these swix poles is as substantial as any out there. Plus, theoretically these are the poles that Bode Miller uses, and if he's not breaking them with some of the forces he generates in his recovery moves, I doubt I'll have any issues myself, just lower swing weights!

2knees

I should just say nothing but........JimG is a damn good skier. psia level III if you're into that. I'm not but i'm impressed by his skiing, which i've seen 1st hand multiple times. I wouldnt read much into one still photo, whether you are right or wrong, for any reason.