• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot problem or my feet?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Boot problem or my feet? UPDATE

Foot cramping, that is. Early season it's the worst, but then if I've been away for a while or if I buckle down too fast, I get foot cramps that hurt soooo badly. I have flexible flat feet (small arch when unweighted and pretty much no arch when weighted). I did pay for the $150 custom footbeds this time with my new boots that were done unweighted as they're supposed to offer more support. Been out in the boots twice now and I'm still getting foot cramps initially. It does seem to get better as the day wears on, though it sucks toughing it out for those first few runs. (Or in the case of yesterday, pretty much all my runs.)

So is this a boot problem? Or is it my feet? Are there stretches I could maybe do or strengthening? It's likely that part of my problem was being off skis for so long in the middle of the season. But this is something I really need to tweak out.

UPDATED in post 36.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Foot cramping, that is. Early season it's the worst, but then if I've been away for a while or if I buckle down too fast, I get foot cramps that hurt soooo badly. I have flexible flat feet (small arch when unweighted and pretty much no arch when weighted). I did pay for the $150 custom footbeds this time with my new boots that were done unweighted as they're supposed to offer more support. Been out in the boots twice now and I'm still getting foot cramps initially. It does seem to get better as the day wears on, though it sucks toughing it out for those first few runs. (Or in the case of yesterday, pretty much all my runs.)

So is this a boot problem? Or is it my feet? Are there stretches I could maybe do or strengthening? It's likely that part of my problem was being off skis for so long in the middle of the season. But this is something I really need to tweak out.

It's not a boot issue or a foot issue. It's a skiing issue. For me, early foot cramp is a normal part of most ski days. It's worse early in the year. Usually after a few runs, it goes away. Normally this is around the time I settle into my ski day and start skiing well. It usually takes me 4 or 5 runs to get everything dialed in.

Your issue is probably two-fold, (1) only getting out briefly (by the time the cramping subsides you're almost done for the day) and (2) you're breaking in new boots. Try skiing your first few runs with your boots only loosely buckled. This should not only relieve some of the initial cramping, but also forces you to ski more balanced. Once you're fully warmed up (might take an hour or two), then lock them down.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
What Greg says.....First few runs go REAL loose with your boots. If you go to tight from the get go, its hard to get your feet right again. They should get better once they pack-out.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Well at least it's not just me. And that's exactly it... if I try to buckle them down early, it's never right after that. I've also found that taking a few really easy runs (like bunny hill runs) helps warm my feet up. But in the company of some skiers, I get teased for such lengths so I don't always take that warm up time.

wa-loaf

Well at least it's not just me. And that's exactly it... if I try to buckle them down early, it's never right after that. I've also found that taking a few really easy runs (like bunny hill runs) helps warm my feet up. But in the company of some skiers, I get teased for such lengths so I don't always take that warm up time.

I always unbuckle for the lift ride up early in the day. Helps keep the blood flowing until you warm up. Gotta say my new boots are the first where I really haven't gotten any kind of cramping. Being too narrow can do it, have you had them stretched at all?

Anyway, what the others said. It tales a few days for you to break in the new boots. See how they feel then and go back to the boot guy.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I haven't had any boot work done other than the footbeds. I'm in a difficult situation in that I can't really try them out after any work right now, KWIM? But they have to work for me in a month when I go to Abasin. The shop where I bought them is about 1 hr away so it's not that easy for me to just run over and have them tweaked (especially with 2 kids in tow). And I was kind of waiting to see if some of my issues would resolve on their own as I used the boots more. But again, I ran out of season. :eek:

ed-drum

When I get new boots I always wear them while watching tv on the couch before skiing in them. Even with tried and true boots I do the same before the season. It really helps. I never unbuckle my boots after getting on the snow, for if the snow gets inside, they get wet and then cold. I always, every time I come home, pull the liners and dry them with a hair drier. If not, they will be damp in the morning. Ed.

bigbog

Severine...I'll throw out a little(to what's been said),
Until the daily confidence gets going, it can often be a case of doing the tiger-claws toe curling/clawing when you do encounter steep terrain right off the bat....terrain that's somewhat near that "concerned" zone early in the day, before you/we get our balance over our edges..as well as fore/aft...on track(so to speak). Also, remember that your liners may be packing out a little...and any space in the lower cuff, in addition to the boot tongue's padding, that isn't packed in tight to your legs/ankles....your feet will slip forward just enough to plow into either the front of the liner or any area where the liner, shell, and your foot fit....is a little close...to begin with.
*Add some foam/C-shaped...whatever...over, in front of, under(lesser amount)..your ankles...will help stop the forward sliding...and the foam shin wedges are terrific as well. Really pack em' in...around the sides & front....to keep your feet stationary...(the key).
*Have to try them on for a little while to make sure you haven't over-packed them, but when in the booting-up room @lodge, it's easier to take out...than it is to put in & make it fit without shutting off circulation...
$.01

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I wore my boots around the house for many hours when I got them (and periodically since) because I wasn't sure I'd get to ski in them this season. I don't get the foot cramps when wearing them around the house.

It's quite possible that they are a bit narrow in one place. The fit was definitely different after they put in the custom footbeds (definitely more uncomfortable across the instep, for example). But I was waiting to see if it would improve with use instead of running back right away begging for work to be done.

I guess since I do have a couple days out on them, and quite a few evenings putzing around the house with them on, that perhaps it wouldn't hurt to go back to the shop where I bought them and see what they have to say. They did guarantee the fit, after all.

mondeo

I have the same problem, where I'm fine walking around, but once I start skiing it starts hurting. Loosening up the buckles definitely helps, and it gets better as the day goes on. Also, I've come to notice that it seems as if my right foot is larger (not longer, just larger,) and it's also my right foot that tends to hurt more, so the boot volume is probably the main contributor. I'm just lucky that Alpine Haus is basically on my way home from work (according to Google, it adds a whopping 4 minutes just because I have to get off 91,) and 10 minutes away from home.

Complicating the matter for me is that the shell is a very good fit, when I'm buckled down well. Which means that if I have the buckles loose, the shell is doing all the work and putting way too much pressure on my ankle bone and heel.

ed-drum

I forgot to mention that sometimes I warm up my boots before I leave the house in the morning, especially if it's really cold outside. Then I put them on the floor of the front seat with the heat blowing on them. ( In my boot bag, of course.) I see a lot of people who drive farther than I do put their boots in the trunk of the car. There's no heat in the trunk. DOH! Then they sit around in the lodge waiting them to warm up. Cold boots in the morning will cause foot cramps. Ed.

Greg

Staff member
I just want to mention to be careful blowing heat, say from a hair dryer, on moldable liners or footbeds. You run the risk of them distorting.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Okay now start wearing your boots and skis around the house.
I'm sure the landlord would love what that would do to the wood floors! :lol:

Greg is right. Never blow hot air on boots. I don't. I've always had sufficient time for my boots to dry on their own.

The 2 times I've skied with these boots, temps were warm. 40+. I seem to have more problems with warm feet than with cold.

ed-drum

Thanks Greg. I forgot to say to put the heat on medium. I see people put their boots near the fireplace in the lodges. YIPES! People don't want to pull their liners out. I guess that's a lazy thing. My Dalbello boots are clear, and you can see the condensation forming between the shell and the liner by the end of the day. My boots don't leak. However, I read that feet can produce up to a 1/4 cup of perspiration a day. I also tweak my own boots. I sometimes grind out tight stops with my Dremel tool the same way pro boot fitters do. But, be careful as not to go through the shell by over doing it. The ski magazines used to have tips on tuning skis and boots, but not anymore! I also make my own custom foot boards, but I won't post how to do it for fear of the pro boot fitters getting mad at me. It's easy and really inexpensive to do. PM me and I'll tell you how though! Ed.

hammer

I also make my own custom foot boards, but I won't post how to do it for fear of the pro boot fitters getting mad at me. It's easy and really inexpensive to do. PM me and I'll tell you how though! Ed.
I'm sure that actually making the footbed isn't too difficult with the right tools, but knowing what adjustments to make is another thing entirely...

I paid between $100 - $150 for my footbeds, and the bootfitter who did them (Jeff Bokum) has spent a lot of time working with me to get things right...in addition, he has made adjustments that would seem counterintutive to the casual user but make sense if you know the anatomy of the foot and what is needed for skiing. Same goes for the boot grinding he has done.

If you can grind your own boots and do your own footbeds, great...I just wouldn't recommend it in general to anyone else.

hammer

Where is the cramping? If it's in the arches you may want to consider doing some stretches...

I can get considerable cramping in my arches during the first few runs of the day, but once things get loosened up my foot is well set in the boot...Jeff is still helping out on this but to make sure that the footbeds do their job properly I know I need to work on increasing my flexibility.

awf170

The 2 times I've skied with these boots, temps were warm. 40+. I seem to have more problems with warm feet than with cold.

The warmer your feet get the more they expand. You might think it can't make a big difference, but it can be huge. On a cold day I can wear my boots buckled up all day long and be pretty comfortable. On a really warm day (especially if I'm skinning) I can get to a point were I can barely ski because the pain is so unbearable.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Once again, thank you! I don't feel like so much of a wuss after the personal experience you guys have shared! I figured that the warm weather problem was definitely related to the fact that your feet would be wider/larger overall. I far prefer cold days for skiing just because of that.

I think I'm going to take my boots in though and see if they have any recommendations. The fit was guaranteed and they know more about boot fitting than I do. If there's anything they can do that will help, it's worth a shot.

hammer - what kind of stretches? It certainly couldn't hurt!