• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Cars

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com

LOL

Unfortunately $60-$90K is out of my budget guidelines.

You think they really got it out of there without a helicopter?

06_4x4_bmtn-187_72dpi.jpg

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
We have a 08 Subie Tribeca. Even with the Goodyear LS2's on it, it still was a goat in the snow last winter. I just ordered 4 Michelin Latitude Aplin's for snows. Cant wait. It gets 22 mpg on the highway, and about 20 with the Thule evolution 1800 on top. We also have a 06 Honda CRV that gets 26mpg even with the thule on it, though it is smaller on the inside. Besides the city gas mileage with the Tribeca (16mpg) and the 18inch tires, we absolutlely love it!

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
I have the FJ. Great vehicle. Go for it.

the only thing that puts me off is how tiny the vertical is on the winsheild. i kinda feel like im driving a tank. which isnt really a good thing for driving around the city. the nitro has plenty of visability. i ahve been stuck for like 3 months on this. i think my blazer will do one more winter but i would rather have something new.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Only one Rav 4 minor mention? How about Honda Element or CR-V?

Subaru Legacy and Forrester look great - but I can't fit my 15 y.o. kid in there for long. We are too spoiled by those captain's chairs in the Town & Country.

snoseek

An AWD toyota Matrix with a roof rack would comfortably fit four and get milage in the low 30's and be thousands less than a Suburu. Overall cost of Toyotas seem enticing too. If I had more $$$$ that would probably be my next car.

snoseek

Only one Rav 4 minor mention? How about Honda Element or CR-V?

Subaru Legacy and Forrester look great - but I can't fit my 15 y.o. kid in there for long. We are too spoiled by those captain's chairs in the Town & Country.

Yeah rav 4 would be a great vehicle if you need a bit more room, as would a Honda element.

another vote for the subys...we've got 2 in the garage; a 1998 outback with 135k and a 07 tribeca with 30k. Wife used to drive a 97 outback, now she's got the tribeca. my 98 gets 28mpg on the hwy doing 75ish...I run studded snows in the winter, some might call it overkill, but IMO tires are like footbeds and I don't ski on stock beds. the tribeca gets 22mpg on avg running around town and we can get over 24 on trips if we're not stomping on the acc...still cruising at 75. the tribeca has plenty of room, ours is a 7 seater...crowded with 7, but with 4 adults and ski gear in the back its plenty comfy...back seats recline. personally I prefer the outback but the wife wanted something bigger otherwise we'd have bought a new outback...but i do enjoy driving the tribeca. I've driven the outback through waist deep plow banks at the end of the driveway while my neighbor nearly got stuck in his tundra.

ccskier

Going to look at Volvo XC 90's this weekend. Not bad on mpg, wife had a major accident this week in her lincoln aviator, the fact that my wife and son are safe is way more important to me than gas mileage, if it costs me an extra $20 each way up to vt, then so be it. All of the side curtains, dash bags, etc... went off. Some lowlife pos kid in a little Hyundai hit her so hard that her big ass car got spun around. People can knock gas guzzlers, but to me safety comes first. We used to have a Volvo xc70, one of the best cars I have ever owned. Tha A4 avant is way too small, No way 4 adults can ride comfortably especially after a long day of skiing, the Volvo xc70 is a much better car.

vcunning

LOL

Unfortunately $60-$90K is out of my budget guidelines.

06_4x4_bmtn-187_72dpi.jpg

But the article referenced some key financial benefits:

• [*] All interest charges may be deductible from your Federal Income Tax returns as a second home (motorhome). Consult with your accountant.
    [*] RV insurance is less than a car.
    [*] There is no luxury tax on motorhomes.

campgottagopee

An AWD toyota Matrix with a roof rack would comfortably fit four and get milage in the low 30's and be thousands less than a Suburu. Overall cost of Toyotas seem enticing too. If I had more $$$$ that would probably be my next car.

Really???? The Matrix would be a compete with the Impreza line-up not the Forester and Outback that we have been speaking of.....just sayin'

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..

A Matrix fitting 4 comfortably! Have you ever been in one. Maybe 4 midgets (small people).:blink:

WJenness

A Matrix fitting 4 comfortably! Have you ever been in one. Maybe 4 midgets (small people).:blink:

+1!

I'm 6'4" I do not fit in the backseat of a matrix (or a bunch of other cars for that matter).

One of my fiends has one.

We've used it when we all go somewhere a few times. I have to get shotgun or drive, it's the only way it works.

The AC outlet in the dash is pretty cool though.

-w

SKIQUATTRO

i have an 02 A4 Avant (5spd) and an 08 Volvo XC70, both with Thule bars for cargo box/bikes/surfboards...I have a family of 4 (3yrs and 6yrs)

We had a Nissan Armada and sold it right before Xmas and got the Volvo...wife just asked when the lease on the Volvo is up so she can get the new VW Routan...way more room than the wagons and my kids are still small...we haul alot of gear (skiing, beach, sailing, biking etc)

get yourself a nice Toyota/Honda/Nissan minivan with a bulletproof engine and plenty of cargo room,,,