• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RUMOR - Mount Snow not opening on Thanksgiving Weekend...

sLoPeS

come on now; joke of a hill? That's a bit pretentious.

Do you say this because you're a Killington skier? If you were a Jackson Hole skier or even Stowe for that matter, would you call Killington a joke of a hill?

Such thinking, goes against the spirit of the sport in my opinion. I see it on the music message board I frequent. My favorite band is the best, your favorite band sucks. Pretty stupid if you ask me. My preference in the east is Stowe, that said, there really isn't a single area I'd call a 'joke' if there are people out there enjoying themselves there. Hell, Tenney was my 'home' mountain last winter. Had a blast there. It's not Stowe, but almost every time I headed home for the day, I was psyched to have spent the day out playing on the snow.

fine, i was a little harsh there, but i really do find the place boring. if u ski/ride park then yea, i probably wouldnt go anywhere else in the east, but for terrain it seems like all the runs are the same. just my opinion.

stowe has skiing, and stowe has mansfield. totally different ball game compared to K. and yea, pretty much everywhere in the east is a joke compared to out west. not saying there isnt terrain out there (ie. high peaks, whites, chic chocs, etc.) but resort wise, its night and day.

dont get me wrong, i absolutely love skiing and will go ski one trail for 8 hours and have fun. i just have to call bullshit on that being "opening day".

deadheadskier

Staff member
People have many different reasons for enjoying their home mountain no? You recently relocated to Killington and admitted that the social component was a big draw.

Mt. Snow must be doing something right as I'd guess that their skier visits are probably fairly close to that of Killington these days.

whether jibbing, trees, powder, bumps, whatever is your thing; the more people out there spending money at the mountain and having fun, the better for our sport. Even if that is Mt. Snow providing a jib park. All those jibbers are the next generation. Eventually they'll get older like 'us' and probably be interested in other aspects of sliding on snow.

The whole attitude in this thread Killington vs Mt. Snow; both sides of the argument, is a little juvenile if you ask me.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
fine, i was a little harsh there, but i really do find the place boring. if u ski/ride park then yea, i probably wouldnt go anywhere else in the east, but for terrain it seems like all the runs are the same. just my opinion.

stowe has skiing, and stowe has mansfield. totally different ball game compared to K. and yea, pretty much everywhere in the east is a joke compared to out west. not saying there isnt terrain out there (ie. high peaks, whites, chic chocs, etc.) but resort wise, its night and day.

dont get me wrong, i absolutely love skiing and will go ski one trail for 8 hours and have fun. i just have to call bullshit on that being "opening day".

Slopes,
I agree about the resorts, per-se. You've been around here long enough to know that the majority of active AZ forum members value the skiing/boarding over the "resort experience." That's where I find the value systems get conflicted and the message gets lost.

Glenn

skiing bumps is skiing. sliding on some piece of metal is not. its jibbing.

That's certainly something that's been debated before. When you say "Mt. Snow is a joke of a hill" I tend to read that as the mountain as a whole. If your talking about that picture of the slope they had open in October, that's an entirely different direction...IMHO. Maybe it's semantics here; something got lost in translation....

drjeff

What's going to happen to DEMO Days?
Mount Snow has one on 12/5 and Gore Mountain has one on 12/4.

I just hope that the morning of demo days at Mount Snow this year doesn't dawn as a regional catastrophe like it did last year :eek: Last year demo day was the day after the big ice storm that ravaged parts of Northern CT, Lots of Mass, SW VT and parts of Central + Southern NH :eek:

jaywbigred

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

This thread continues to be one big pile of troll, unless I magically lost the ability to read english and thus the definition of trolling.

Riverskier

To each their own, but I think this thread is great! Chock full of discussion, speculation, and debate. In my mind, that is what a message board is all about!

UVSHTSTRM

Well I think Sugarloaf is Better then Killington! So take that! :uzi:THE BEAST

Highway Star

This thread continues to be one big pile of troll, unless I magically lost the ability to read english and thus the definition of trolling.

You're just cranky that you bought a condo at Mount Snow and not Killington. Oops.

It's really not a bad day trip from MS up to Killington. They're going to be open this weekend you know.

This is not trolling, it's just a more exciting topic than some of the bland stuff on here.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
You're just cranky that you bought a condo at Mount Snow and not Killington. Oops.

It's really not a bad day trip from MS up to Killington. They're going to be open this weekend you know.

This is not trolling, it's just a more exciting topic than some of the bland stuff on here.

it really isnt that far at all....

and like you say, what the hell else are we going to do... boo! accuweather!

deadheadskier

Staff member

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]"

trying to insult JW for his choice in real estate purchase is either A. trolling or B. being a dick. Take your pick HWS, but avoid it.

Glenn

They're going to be open this weekend you know.

Good to know! How do you think the crowds will be? Will you be one of the top 10 skiers on the mountain or will it be a light weekend and you'll be in the top three?