• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RUMOR - Mount Snow not opening on Thanksgiving Weekend...

Highway Star

We're you a top 30 skier there?

Yes.

Oh, and while we're on the topic, personally, I can't see how you guys can stand to have a ski house there. While can be a fun mountain, you run out of stuff pretty quick. Most of my ski days there would consist of skiing groomed steeps on the north face (which just isn't bumped up like the 1980's), then heading over to alternate between bumping on beartrap and the carinthia park. I would get bored there quite fast skiing there every weekend, or even every other.

They just didn't have much natural snow to make the trees consistantly covered or good...I've done much more tree and powder skiing at Stratton, which was a revelation.

jaywbigred

Yes.

Oh, and while we're on the topic, personally, I can't see how you guys can stand to have a ski house there. While can be a fun mountain, you run out of stuff pretty quick. Most of my ski days there would consist of skiing groomed steeps on the north face (which just isn't bumped up like the 1980's), then heading over to alternate between bumping on beartrap and the carinthia park. I would get bored there quite fast skiing there every weekend, or even every other.

They just didn't have much natural snow to make the trees consistantly covered or good...I've done much more tree and powder skiing at Stratton, which was a revelation.

I bought real estate at Mount Snow to avoid people who worship the wreckage that is Kton and to avoid people who call Stratton a "revelation".

Highway Star

I bought real estate at Mount Snow to avoid people who worship the wreckage that is Kton and to avoid people who call Stratton a "revelation".

LOL. Well, I must say that overall, Mt. Snow has better bumps, steeps, and parks than Stratton. Stratton has better lifts, cruisers/groomers with proper pitch, more snow, more vert/elevation, and much better tree skiing.

Killington is Killington. It's not a dull, relaxing place to ski. The people, crowds, etc can be annoying and exciting all at once. It's even more rewarding than normal when you escape the crowds and find your own line. There's plenty of places to ski, it's very easy to tour around the mountain hitting spots and mixing it up. About 50% of my skiing is with experts, other half is social skiing with people of mixed ablity.

Glenn

We're you a top 30 skier there?

Mt. Snow is a bit smaller. He's gotta be in the top 5 there. Maybe top 3.

I too feel sorry we invested in a place up there. We now drive 25 minutes to the mountain vs 2 hours and 15 minutes. I'm sure this season will totally suck.

Oh, another thing. That 3 hours and 20 minutes to CT from Killington would have been a lot easier after skiing all weekend vs the just under 2 hours we drive now.

Cliffs: "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

shpride

This season at Mt. Snow has definitely a potential for suckage. It is because I decided to get a pass there this year which jinx'd the mountain.

Newpylong

Yes.

How would you know about the North Face in the 80's? You were still on plastic skis using the rope tow! Give me a break...

MommaBear

This season at Mt. Snow has definitely a potential for suckage. It is because I decided to get a pass there this year which jinx'd the mountain.

So it was YOUR fault???? Gee thanks. ;-)

I'm believing that this slow fall start, which by the way has allowed for several home improvement projects to get completed, will be followed by a totally awesome spring skiing year. This may be our first spring we don't have to worry about baseball on the weekend so we can go as late as it lasts. I'd much rather have the extra time on the backside then now.

Highway Star

How would you know about the North Face in the 80's? You were still on plastic skis using the rope tow! Give me a break...

I skied mount snow at least once in the 80's and saw huuuge bumps....didn't ski them because I was like.....8.

vlewis

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Well guys the weather is killing us, plain and simple. We are definitely NOT going to be open on Thursday and Friday of this week. We are hoping to get the temps we need to fire up and have something for the weekend but its too soon to know for sure. Once we do know we'll get the word out right away so everyone can make their decisions based on the most accurate info we have. Thanks for your interest in our opening and we hope that once we do get open we'll see you all out there enjoying yourselves.

Oh yeah, and if I may add my opinion to a discussion from before, "skiing" is whatever makes you happy; whether it be trees, steeps, bumps, powder or jibs. Why can't we all just agree that we have our own happy places and they all revolve around having two planks stuck to our feet and a huge smile on our faces.

bvibert

Staff member
Well guys the weather is killing us, plain and simple. We are definitely NOT going to be open on Thursday and Friday of this week. We are hoping to get the temps we need to fire up and have something for the weekend but its too soon to know for sure. Once we do know we'll get the word out right away so everyone can make their decisions based on the most accurate info we have. Thanks for your interest in our opening and we hope that once we do get open we'll see you all out there enjoying yourselves.

Oh yeah, and if I may add my opinion to a discussion from before, "skiing" is whatever makes you happy; whether it be trees, steeps, bumps, powder or jibs. Why can't we all just agree that we have our own happy places and they all revolve around having two planks stuck to our feet and a huge smile on our faces.

Thanks for the official word. I hope the weather changes for the better soon! :fangun:

vlewis

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
My pleasure, I'll keep posting info as soon as I have it. I'm wearing my flip-flops today hoping a little reverse psychology will work on Mother Nature.

By the way I love your fan gun icon!

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks! I wish the snow was easier to see though, it works much better on a darker background..

Flip flops aren't allowed where I work, otherwise I'd be joining you in that reverse psychology thing. 8)

drjeff

My pleasure, I'll keep posting info as soon as I have it. I'm wearing my flip-flops today hoping a little reverse psychology will work on Mother Nature.

By the way I love your fan gun icon!

Thanks! I wish the snow was easier to see though, it works much better on a darker background..

Flip flops aren't allowed where I work, otherwise I'd be joining you in that reverse psychology thing. 8)

I'm wearing one om my tropical fish print scrub tops today in an effort to do my part also in the reverse weather psychology thing :) Any bit helps!

Glenn

Thanks for the update!

I recomend everyone take their snow tires off...or hold off on having them mounted to help with the weather.

drjeff

Thanks for the update!

I recomend everyone take their snow tires off...or hold off on having them mounted to help with the weather.

Purposely kept the snowblower in the shed this weekend and DIDN'T bring it into its winter position in the garage to help things along. Also, haven't put out the driveway marker stakes yet. About the only thing I've yet to do to help things along is go out and put down a fresh dosing of spring fertilizer on the lawn. That may happen next week if things don't change!!