• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whole Foods parking

deadheadskier

Staff member
My only issue would be the fact that some people (due to occupation) need full-size trucks/SUV's, so why should they have to walk farther. Other than that I could care less.

Why should people riding a bus to a ski area / sporting event, etc have to walk further if that's where their designated parking is?

What if the bus parking is actually closer and someone in a Prius decides, hey, I'd like to park up close and parks in the bus spot.

I guess I just subscribe to it being a private business and they can run it how they choose. If I don't like the rules, no one is forcing me to do business there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually, come to think if it, there's a similar, but not identical situation going on in Portland, ME right now, which answers the 'law' question as to whether or not Whole Foods could tow a vehicle deemed parked in the wrong spot.

Trader Joe's recently opened in a plaza with another business. There is often not enough parking for the two businesses. The two owners agreed to set aside certain spaces for the smaller business (think it's a climbing gym). Signs are posted, parking for such and such only, violaters will be towed. The owner of the small business is having Trader Joe's customers towed left and right for using 'his' parking spots.

WoodCore

i wonder if the sign was made from recycled materials??

HD333

She sounds like self absorbed POS. I picture her with her cellphone in hand, big sunglasses, sweatpants, the latest must have NothFace jacket that will never see the slopes, Uggs, and a to put it nicely not in the best physical shape.

Wait until that kid hits High School and her attitude backfires on her.

I feel bad for her husband...

Maybe I am just pissed off about being surronded by this crap and the fact that it will only be exagerrated this week at the mountian. "why can't I park my Land Cruiser in the adaptive skier spots, I am only dropping off" Yeah that is what the line of cars waiting to get into the "drop off zone" are doing too.

end rant

Hawkshot99

I have a reserved parking spot at my job. If someone parks in it,there is nothing that security can do by law. The only cars they can have towed or booted are ones parked in fire/handicapped spots. This is a entirely private property.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
My opinion and I'll leave it at this, you park in a handicap spot and you're not handicapped, I'll be happy to key your car. You park in any nonsense spots defined by a private business, I'll give you a thumbs up. Just my opinion.

drjeff

She sounds like self absorbed POS. I picture her with her cellphone in hand, big sunglasses, sweatpants, the latest must have NothFace jacket that will never see the slopes, Uggs, and a to put it nicely not in the best physical shape.

Wait until that kid hits High School and her attitude backfires on her.

I feel bad for her husband...

Maybe I am just pissed off about being surronded by this crap and the fact that it will only be exagerrated this week at the mountian. "why can't I park my Land Cruiser in the adaptive skier spots, I am only dropping off" Yeah that is what the line of cars waiting to get into the "drop off zone" are doing too.

end rant

You forgot the requiste mega grande cup of Starbucks 1/2 cap 1/4 soy mocha mint-o-chino double foam expresso in your description there HD! :lol:

wa-loaf

I have a reserved parking spot at my job. If someone parks in it,there is nothing that security can do by law. The only cars they can have towed or booted are ones parked in fire/handicapped spots. This is a entirely private property.

Sounds like they just won't do it. Not that they can't. If Jimminy owns the property they can have the car towed. Same as if someone parked in my driveway without my permission. I can call a tow company and have the car hauled off.

HD333

You forgot the requiste mega grande cup of Starbucks 1/2 cap 1/4 soy mocha mint-o-chino double foam expresso in your description there HD! :lol:

My bad, and you know it was ordered while talking on the phone and she requested non fat milk but got the whipped cream on top.

Dr Skimeister

Not so sure about this.

If I own a store, and the land the store is on...

And I decide that a certain space shouldn't be a space for whatever reason, and I post it as such "Do not park here" "reserved for Dr. Skimeister", whatever... If someone else parks there, why can't I tow them? It's my property, and they didn't comply with my rules for the property...

Granted, it's not the best way to earn loyal customers... but just because something may be a poor decision doesn't mean you're not allowed to do it.

-w

I'm not disputing ownership of the property/parking spot, but wondering if putting up a sign that's not under provision of a law entitles one to take possession of the rude parker's property. I'm sure people with more knowledge of the law than I have can comment better.

ctenidae

I ask again: Didn't that qualify for carpool?

Two different sets of spaces. Interestingly, the efficient ones were originally against the building with carpool "across the street," but they recently swapped them.

I did ask a cashier about people parking in the spots, and she said they're constantly ignored. The store's not going to do anything about people who park there, so it's really a question of their moral high ground and getting the points for their LEEDS certification.

Regardless of your stance on the existance of the spots, the fact is they are clearly labeled. So, the only reason to park there inappropriately is to either make a political statement, or out of a combination of laziness and disinterest- why should I care if I'm doing something wrong if there's no corporeal punishment? Parking in those spots contravene's Whole Foods' mission statement, which would imply that you disagree with their desire to be more environmentally responsible. And if you disagree with it to the point of aggressively subverting their desires, then why shop there in the first place? You clearly don't care about being helathier, and so you're just paying extra for something you don't desire anyway. So now you're really an underdeveloped wasteful Neanderthal with more money than sense. Maybe public ridicule isn't sufficinet.

Last edited:

WakeboardMom

So I think that's what pisses me off about people who park land yachts in efficient spots- the attitude that the only reason to do the "right thing" is to avoid punishment for not doing it. On the philosophical scale, behavior to avoid punishment is the basest of motivations, with deciding what's right or wrong based on the possibility of punishment is only slightly higher. Ignoring the signs is, in my book, an asshole maneuver, and constitutes rude behaviour which should be punished with public scorn and ridicule.

Who's with me?

/rant off

I'm totally with you. It sucks that people have to be rude. I just don't get it; never have, never will.

As for towing the car...it would give me great pleasure to see it towed, but as a business owner, sometimes you just gotta suck it up when customers feel like they don't have to follow the same rules as everyone else.

SkiDork

Personally, I have a big yacht (Suburban) and I prefer parking farther away. Less of a chance of getting hit by someone else's door opening. Plus easier to find a spot.

deadheadskier

Staff member
. So, the only reason to park there inappropriately is to either make a political statement, or out of a combination of laziness and disinterest- why should I care if I'm doing something wrong if there's no corporeal punishment? .

So which is it for you AndyZ? :lol:

Glenn

I was going to say in jest that I avoid this issue entirely by shopping at Wal-Mart. Then a remembered the summer of 09 when my wife had ACL surgery. And we couldn't get her an electric cart...because some inconsiderate fatties had taken all of them. Same problem, different girth.

bvibert

Staff member
I was going to say in jest that I avoid this issue entirely by shopping at Wal-Mart. Then a remembered the summer of 09 when my wife had ACL surgery. And we couldn't get her an electric cart...because some inconsiderate fatties had taken all of them. Same problem, different girth.

No problems or issues are solved by shopping at Wal-Mart. Ever.

mondeo

Two different sets of spaces. Interestingly, the efficient ones were originally against the building with carpool "across the street," but they recently swapped them.

I did ask a cashier about people parking in the spots, and she said they're constantly ignored. The store's not going to do anything about people who park there, so it's really a question of their moral high ground and getting the points for their LEEDS certification.

Regardless of your stance on the existance of the spots, the fact is they are clearly labeled. So, the only reason to park there inappropriately is to either make a political statement, or out of a combination of laziness and disinterest- why should I care if I'm doing something wrong if there's no corporeal punishment? Parking in those spots contravene's Whole Foods' mission statement, which would imply that you disagree with their desire to be more environmentally responsible. And if you disagree with it to the point of aggressively subverting their desires, then why shop there in the first place? You clearly don't care about being helathier, and so you're just paying extra for something you don't desire anyway. So now you're really an underdeveloped wasteful Neanderthal with more money than sense. Maybe public ridicule isn't sufficinet.
I park in the fuel efficient vehicle space in West Hartford then walk across the street to the McDonalds.

My problem with "fuel efficient vehicles" is they often aren't. I live 5 miles from work. My STI is more efficient than any of the Prii with 15 mile drives. Maybe if they cared about the environment they would by mass produced food, that's grown much more efficiently.

south-park-smug-313.gif

dmc

i was in Disney a few years ago... Went to go see one of the shows and some fat ass was on an electric cart thingy... Trying to get it "parked" up in the front.. She went forward and backwards to position... And ran over some poor guys foot in the process... Unbelievable.. The poor dude had to go get medical attention.. the Country Bear Jamboree started late..

I hate to be like this.. But I don't think 75% of the people on those carts need to be on those carts...