• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whole Foods parking

ctenidae

The Whole Foods in Darien, and I suspect in other places, has "reserved" parking closer to teh doors for "fuel efficient vehicles" and "carpools- 2 or more passengers." When it first opened, I thought the reserved spots were kind of stupid and a little annoying, giving Prius owners one more opportunity to be smug. I aways wanted to borrow a Hummer and park across 3 spots just out of spite.

Now, though, my opinion has changed. As time goes on, I notice more and more often that cars that clearly are not in any way shape or form "fuel efficient" are parked in those spots. Now I'm very annoyed at this abuse of the spot more than I am at the existence of the spot in the first place. For a little while I haven't been able to put my finger on just why it bothered me so much, since I don't like the spots anyway.

Last night I figured it out. As I was walking across the lot, a Touareg pulled in to a fuel efficient spot. A 16 MPG Touareg. Mom gets out, opens the back door, adn son, probably 8-9 years old, hops down. He looked at the sign, and said "Mom- this is for fuel efficient cars- is ours fuel efficient?" Mom said, "Not really, but it doesn't matter- they can't do anything about me parking here." Not sure if I muttered it loud enough for her to actually hear, but I said, "Nice lesson to teach your kid, there."

So I think that's what pisses me off about people who park land yachts in efficient spots- the attitude that the only reason to do the "right thing" is to avoid punishment for not doing it. On the philosophical scale, behavior to avoid punishment is the basest of motivations, with deciding what's right or wrong based on the possibility of punishment is only slightly higher. Ignoring the signs is, in my book, an asshole maneuver, and constitutes rude behaviour which should be punished with public scorn and ridicule.

Who's with me?

/rant off

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Nope, have to agree with mom, there is no law against parking there. This is nothing more than a big PR thing by the store. You have special parking for fuel efficient cars, parking for moms with kids, parking for folks picking up prescriptions at drug stores, parking for take out orders, I'm, sure I'm missing a few. The only one I respect is parking for handicapped. Now, when they come up with parking for folks over 50, I'll respect that one and park there. :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree ctenidae. I see that stuff all the time up here in Vermont and it makes me sick.

dmc

If they own the property - can't they determine who parks where?

i've seen orange stickers on big cars parking in those spots at various corps I visit for work..

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nope, have to agree with mom, there is no law against parking there. This is nothing more than a big PR thing by the store. You have special parking for fuel efficient cars, parking for moms with kids, parking for folks picking up prescriptions at drug stores, parking for take out orders, I'm, sure I'm missing a few. The only one I respect is parking for handicapped. Now, when they come up with parking for folks over 50, I'll respect that one and park there. :)

It's a private business. If they own the parking, yes they can tell you which type of vehicles can park in which spot. No different than a parking garage with signs that say 'compact cars only' or designated bus parking at ski resort even.

Pretty sure a garage can tow oversized vehicles attempting to use compact car spots. I'd imagine whole foods could do the same. If I was a manager of the store, I'd take great pleasure in having asshole mom's Toureg towed. ;)

You can disagree with the principle behind the designated parking, but if they own the lot, they're free to manage their parking how they choose.

bvibert

Staff member
This;

Ignoring the signs is, in my book, an asshole maneuver, and constitutes rude behaviour which should be punished with public scorn and ridicule.

and this;

It's a private business. If they own the parking, yes they can tell you which type of vehicles can park in which spot. No different than a parking garage with signs that say 'compact cars only' or designated bus parking at ski resort even.

Pretty sure a garage can tow oversized vehicles attempting to use compact car spots. I'd imagine whole foods could do the same. If I was a manager of the store, I'd take great pleasure in having asshole mom's Toureg towed. ;)

You can disagree with the principle behind the designated parking, but if they own the lot, they're free to manage their parking how they choose.

I agree with.

drjeff

Private property owner can make the rules as they see fit - not that much different than the "Reserved for Employee of the Month" type signs IMHO.

Mom being lazy/arrogant, especially with kids of that age, and one would asume the ability to actually walk a few extra feet, just another fine example of a parent passing on a chance to teach respect for the rules to their kid. And if you don't teach that respect, and KEEP reinforcing it by example, well then what's the point in the first place/why honor any rule?(whether or not YOU agree with it or not)

Dr Skimeister

I agree that the owner of the property can put up signs. I don't think though that legally they can have the offender towed unless there is proof of a "law" being broken (handicap spot, fire lane).

Just another instance of courtesy being ignored though.

WJenness

I agree that the owner of the property can put up signs. I don't think though that legally they can have the offender towed unless there is proof of a "law" being broken (handicap spot, fire lane).

Not so sure about this.

If I own a store, and the land the store is on...

And I decide that a certain space shouldn't be a space for whatever reason, and I post it as such "Do not park here" "reserved for Dr. Skimeister", whatever... If someone else parks there, why can't I tow them? It's my property, and they didn't comply with my rules for the property...

Granted, it's not the best way to earn loyal customers... but just because something may be a poor decision doesn't mean you're not allowed to do it.

-w

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

Interesting point, who is the property owner? These days very few stores actually own the property, they lease. The lease is for the building, not sure if it extends into the parking lot. That in a lot of cases will be shared by a number of businesses, not sure if that's the case here.

Cannonball

I ask again: Didn't that qualify for carpool?

No. Carpool means taking additional cars off the road by combining multiple potential drivers in one vehicle. The kid wouldn't have been driving a car anyway so he doesn't qualify.

That doesn't mean kids can't qualify. One adult driving a bunch of other people's kids to the soccer game because it eliminates multiple cars driving.

campgottagopee

My only issue would be the fact that some people (due to occupation) need full-size trucks/SUV's, so why should they have to walk farther. Other than that I could care less.

drjeff

Interesting point, who is the property owner? These days very few stores actually own the property, they lease. The lease is for the building, not sure if it extends into the parking lot. That in a lot of cases will be shared by a number of businesses, not sure if that's the case here.

One has to asume that a certain number of parking spaces comes with the lease for the property, since just about every town that has zoning regulations, has a certain formula that says essentially for a building of X square feet that you need to have a minimum of Y parking spaces.

drjeff

My only issue would be the fact that some people (due to occupation) need full-size trucks/SUV's, so why should they have to walk farther. Other than that I could care less.

Then there's the whole health issue when in reality some people SHOULD park as far away from the front door as possible since THEY COULD USE THE EXCERCISE! :lol:

dmc

First they check your receipt... now they tell you where you can park... wtf?!?!?!?