• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012 Skis

gozips

I had the chance to try out a bunch of next year's skis last weekend - found some good stuff. I'm curious...has anyone else tried the new K2 "Impact" ski? I guess it's based on the Rictor, but with a wood core (but still skis as stiff).

wa-loaf

I had the chance to try out a bunch of next year's skis last weekend - found some good stuff. I'm curious...has anyone else tried the new K2 "Impact" ski? I guess it's based on the Rictor, but with a wood core (but still skis as stiff).

The Richtor is a woodcore ski.

Is K2 still using foam in its skis?

I don't know if they've used it since the 80's.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I know that several manufacturers *may* use foam in their entry level skis and that Salomon did as recently as 5 years ago or so.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's the wood that makes it good.

Anyone skied on a ski with bamboo or another non-traditional wood core?

thetrailboss

Staff member
no, but i do have a bamboo softball bat, the thing is awesome. bamboo is some hard freakin' wood!

I know that bamboo grows faster than other kinds of wood, but I was a bit wary when I saw some skis this season with bamboo cores.

gmcunni

I know that bamboo grows faster than other kinds of wood, but I was a bit wary when I saw some skis this season with bamboo cores.

i don't know jack about ski or bat construction but i was really shocked when i got this bat. the ball flies off it and goes 20+ yards further. i had a chart showing the properties of a few woods and metals and the bamboo was up there with metal in terms of "hardness". no idea how that translates to skiing, i'd think it would be a stiff ski.

Puck it

janka_scale.jpg

gmcunni

the info i found was -
A viable replacement for wood. Bamboo is one of the strongest building materials. Bamboo's tensile strength is 28,000 per square inch versus 23,000
for steel.

hammer

no, but i do have a bamboo softball bat, the thing is awesome. bamboo is some hard freakin' wood!
I took an Arnis (Filipino martial art using two bamboo sticks) class a number of years back. Some of the drills we did involved a lot of hard hits between the sticks. I did end up splitting one set of sticks but it took several weeks to do so.

I also have a bamboo floor in one room of my house. It's not bulletproof (it does have a few dents) but I'd say that it's holding up at least as well as the oak floors I have.

BTW, I think bamboo is considered a grass and not a wood...but in any case it's pretty hard.

thetrailboss

Staff member
BTW, I think bamboo is considered a grass and not a wood...but in any case it's pretty hard.

Good catch. I think that is the case.

And IIRC I saw some Black Diamond skis on Steep and Cheap recently that were bamboo.