• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Ravine

dmc

Has anyone hiked this in snowboard boots? I was thinking about going soon and wondering if this would be a wise choice for hiking.

You can do it... But it's 2 hours to the bowl. I've gone down the trail in my snowboard boots. But not hiking up.

I use my hiking boots and put the snowboard boots in the binding on the board while it's on my back..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Do you normally need snowshoes? Around when is the snow melted off enough you can hike to the basin?
Snowshoes are not needed for hiking to the Bowl. If you are hiking and not skinning, traction devices like YakTrax can be helpful.

Regarding crampons (from a skier's perspective), my thought is that if crampons are needed then I probably shouldn't be hiking up any ways. I have a pair but never use them, might just sell them. Ax and having practice with self arrest should go along with crampons.

Right Gully is the easiest ascent. If you are not bent on the bowl, Hillman's is similar pitch to Right Gully, is a longer run, and is much less crowded.

Just throwing this out there... but it is still full on winter in Tuckerman right now. For example, today the Avi Bulletin is Considerable (Natural avalanches are possible and human triggered avalanches are likely). And Low Danger does not mean no danger. I like to look for at least a few days corn cycle minimum before looking at it as a reasonably safe option without avi gear:
http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/

Just be aware that if you pick a day and are committed to a hotel, you might only be able to hike up and ski the Sherbie, even in April, if there is Avi danger.

STREETSKIER

Do you normally need snowshoes? Around when is the snow melted off enough you can hike to the basin?

CrAmpons aretheway to go on steeps you won't needthe hiking boots keep it light r

Snowshoes dontwork up there bootpack w/crampons remove them and shred the gnar. Good luck. Wolf

dmc

You don't really need them and they can actually be dangerous if you try going up somethng steep.. Not the right tool for the job...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
CrAmpons aretheway to go on steeps you won't needthe hiking boots keep it light r

Snowshoes dontwork up there bootpack w/crampons remove them and shred the gnar. Good luck. Wolf

As stated by others, crampons are very dangerous if you don't know how to self arrest if you fall. This involves the use of an ice axe.
During a fall and slide if you are wearing crampons, they can catch/dig into in the snow, and abruptly stop your leg. This can shatter bones and tear apart knees.

If you are a first timer in the bowl it is better to just follow the established boot ladders. Then you can work your way up to the accents that require mountaineering equipment for future visits.

Cannonball

As stated by others, crampons are very dangerous if you don't know how to self arrest if you fall. This involves the use of an ice axe.
During a fall and slide if you are wearing crampons, they can catch/dig into in the snow, and abruptly stop your leg. This can shatter bones and tear apart knees.

If you are a first timer in the bowl it is better to just follow the established boot ladders. Then you can work your way up to the accents that require mountaineering equipment for future visits.

Also (and maybe more importantly) crampons are dangerous to those around you. Starting around now, there are more and more people up in the bowl. Very often you are booting up the bowl with a line of people above and below you. One falling person can take out the whole line. Seen it happen several times. That's bad enough in and of itself....but add crampons into the tumbling pile and someone is going to get seriously hurt. Leave em at home.

dmc

Also (and maybe more importantly) crampons are dangerous to those around you. Starting around now, there are more and more people up in the bowl. Very often you are booting up the bowl with a line of people above and below you. One falling person can take out the whole line. Seen it happen several times. That's bad enough in and of itself....but add crampons into the tumbling pile and someone is going to get seriously hurt. Leave em at home.

Indeed - sharp metal things are bad in climbing lines..

If I have crampons - I climb where i want... Don't need a line... :)

Black Phantom

Exactly. Thank you for explaining this so clearly. :daffy::beer:

Cannonball

Indeed - sharp metal things are bad in climbing lines..

If I have crampons - I climb where i want... Don't need a line... :)

Climbing lines are only partly about 'need' and mostly about etiquette. Having people spread out across the bowl climbing wherever they want simply because they can, F's up the skiing. Climbing lines minimize the impact that uphill traffic has on downhill enjoyment.

dmc

Climbing lines are only partly about 'need' and mostly about etiquette. Having people spread out across the bowl climbing wherever they want simply because they can, F's up the skiing. Climbing lines minimize the impact that uphill traffic has on downhill enjoyment.

Of course..

But theres more then one place to climb..

I'm down with etiquette..

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Thanks guys lots of good info. I've never used snowshoes or crampons :lol:

Last time I went to Tuck's I think it was in May and I just went up the main bowl, the top parts were already pretty much fully melted.

snowmonster

If you need floatation devices, I think snowshoes are less efficient than skins. More to carry. You won't need snowshoes in Tux in late April.

The answer to the second question depends on the snowpack. For me, the best time to hit Tux is when the Sherb is still in and before the Inferno. The Inferno brings out the yahoos and you're better off being somewhere else. Plus, if the Sherb is not melted, it'll be so bumped up, you'd think you were at a resort. Late May to early June brings out only the die-hards so you have the place all to yourself.

Snowshoes are not needed for hiking to the Bowl. If you are hiking and not skinning, traction devices like YakTrax can be helpful.
I tried yaktrax once. Problem with them is that they tend to slide around your boot. I had to keep stopping on the TRT to adjust them. Katoohla microspikes may be a better and more rugged option.

Regarding crampons (from a skier's perspective), my thought is that if crampons are needed then I probably shouldn't be hiking up any ways. I have a pair but never use them, might just sell them. Ax and having practice with self arrest should go along with crampons.
I hear ya! Only time I did this was in the Great Gulf and the only way out was to climb in the shade and the run was in the sun.

It's also a safety issue. I see people on a warm day climbing right under the ice on the the Lip. Unless you really know what you're doing the established bootpack is probably the safest -- and easiest way up. I agree with Riv that the best way out of the Bowl is RG.

twinplanx

Tux has been on my checklist for over 5yrs. Assuming the Sherbie is still in play, is possible to hike up to HoJos in simple hiking boots?

snowmonster

When I was in HS that HDT quote was one of my favorites. Love it.

Never forget what it's all about :beer:
The DPS gave it a new lease on life.;)

Tux has been on my checklist for over 5yrs. Assuming the Sherbie is still in play, is possible to hike up to HoJos in simple hiking boots?
Yes. TRT should be packed down. Microspikes will help with traction.

Bumpsis

where to find current Sherby conditions? The avalanche report in previous years used to have it at the end of the report. Can't find it now. I just love to be able to ski out.