• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

Gosh, I thought they were all in great shape. Maybe an occasional tree root to go over, but I thought coverage was fine. Perhaps I hit it during close to the best conditions of the season.

Also, the n.VT people I brought had never skied Sugarbush and loved it. They live about 50mins to Smuggs and 1 hour to Jay Peak and always ski those two places. I made it to Sugarbush from their place in less than 1h and 10 mins, whereas GOOG says it's 1h 25 minutes and has scared them away. They're definitely going to occasionally throw it into their winter rotation now.

I can't speak to those woods in particular because they are lower elevation and I haven't been in them, but prior to this most recent thaw, the upper and mid elevations woods were in great shape, except for the usual headwall steep spots that get skied off.

BenedictGomez

I can't speak to those woods in particular because they are lower elevation and I haven't been in them, but prior to this most recent thaw, the upper and mid elevations woods were in great shape, except for the usual headwall steep spots that get skied off.

Looking at the Sugarbush trail map, the only on map "upper elevation" woods at Sugarbush appear to be at Mount Ellen, and we spent the entire day at the big side.

Will definitely hit Mount Ellen the next time I ski Sugarbush and likely spend the entire day there to see that side as well. I have skied there once before, but it was 14 years ago an I dont remember anything other than the length of the Slide Brook chair.

HowieT2

Looking at the Sugarbush trail map, the only on map "upper elevation" woods at Sugarbush appear to be at Mount Ellen, and we spent the entire day at the big side.

Will definitely hit Mount Ellen the next time I ski Sugarbush and likely spend the entire day there to see that side as well. I have skied there once before, but it was 14 years ago an I dont remember anything other than the length of the Slide Brook chair.

Map shmap. upper elevation woods off lincoln peak, castlerock and north lynx are littered with trails. Pm me next time you are headed up.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Big bump.

I read that the Valley Double is NOT going to be replaced this year because of upgrades to other lifts (see below). That's a bummer. I also got an update Email from Win in which he outlined some other work:

As was the case last season, we plan to run the Slide Brook Express every day whenever temperatures are above 5 degrees and when there is sufficient snowpack to allow our lift mechanics to get to the towers quickly and safely.

This summer we have invested nearly $5 million in capital improvements and most of that has gone into making your mountain experience even better. Over the past five years we have been working on a plan to improve both the capacity and efficiency of our snowmaking system. This summer we are completing the final leg of that plan with the purchase of 351 new low-energy snow guns for both Lincoln Peak and Mt. Ellen, replacing almost all of our older, less efficient snow guns. This will allow us significantly greater snowmaking capacity, especially early season when snowmaking temperatures can be marginal. With low-energy equipment that will be installed almost everywhere, we will use less energy while maximizing the water that can be converted into snow. Not only does this save us money, but it is good for the environment and will improve your experience. We have also completed a number of less visible snowmaking projects over the summer to ensure that our snowmaking system is reliable for years to come. Some of these improvements include: installation of a new and larger-diameter snowmaking pipe on Snowball and Spring Fling; the rebuilding of motors on targeted pumps; the installation of a new flume in the Mad River; and numerous valve repairs. In total, since 2009, we have invested over $5 million in snowmaking improvements at both mountains. This summer, we have invested approximately $1 million over and above normal summer maintenance to upgrade electrical and mechanical systems on the following lifts: Super Bravo, Heaven’s Gate, Gate House, North Ridge and Sunshine Double. Additionally, we are finalizing our permits for expanded parking at Lincoln Peak which will greatly improve our guest experience on the busiest days. We plan to have this new parking lot--located across the Access Road from Lot E--open for the winter season. Our shuttles will carry guests from the new lot to the base area. We have also purchased a new winch groomer in addition to the two new groomers we added to the fleet last winter. I am also pleased to say that the town of Warren will be repaving the upper part of the Access Road as well as West Hill Road, so your entry to and departure from the mountain will be a lot smoother.

Season Passes are now available at early season rates through September 10th. Despite some significant increases in our costs, we have only increased our prices modestly. We will also be offering two new passes.

So the Slide Brook now runs 7 days a week weather and conditions permitting?

And though I like the Heaven's Gate earlier opening idea, the upcharge is just dumb IMHO:

This season we’re also introducing the Early-Ups Add-On. Fully-paid All Mountain 7 passholders can add this feature to their pass for an additional $500 and be able to load Super Bravo thirty minutes before the public on weekends and holidays. The add-on is limited to the first 500 purchasers and is only valid on Adult, Youth, Child, Senior, Silver Senior, and 90+ All Mountain 7 season passes. We will also plan to open Heaven’s Gate at 8:00 AM for everyone on weekends and holidays, allowing greater early access to the upper mountain and better skier distribution on the busiest days. In past years, Heaven’s Gate has opened at 9:00 AM.

I'd rather pay a bit more on a season pass to get that then to be nickel and dimed personally....

MadMadWorld

I'm stoked.....I heard they going to open the church this year as a triple diamond. Transceiver, probe, shovel, and parachute required

WWF-VT

Big bump.

And though I like the Heaven's Gate earlier opening idea, the upcharge is just dumb IMHO:

I'd rather pay a bit more on a season pass to get that then to be nickel and dimed personally....

I paid $1049 in the spring for my All Mountain 7 pass. It's crazy to think someone would pay an extra $500 to load the Super Bravo chair 30 minutes early on weekends and holidays!

benski

I paid $1049 in the spring for my All Mountain 7 pass. It's crazy to think someone would pay an extra $500 to load the Super Bravo chair 30 minutes early on weekends and holidays!

not such a crazy idea. Especial with all the people pissed about having to buy an overpriced condo to get that privilege. Also without this pass you will not be able to get to heavens gate till about 10 minuets after it opens.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm stoked.....I heard they going to open the church this year as a triple diamond. Transceiver, probe, shovel, and parachute required

There will be a special RFID gate on the LT. Passholders can pay an additional $700 to have an RFID pass to access this area. ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member

$500 is a lot for an extra half-hour of skiing. Personally I don't think I would...but then again I did most of my skiing (by choice) over at North.

Not to play a broken record, but I know that a lot of locals were pissed about "special" people getting to ski before the 8:00 opening. Now I bet they are going to be even more pissed. Bravo gets skied out so fast as it is.

thetrailboss

Staff member
not such a crazy idea. Especial with all the people pissed about having to buy an overpriced condo to get that privilege. Also without this pass you will not be able to get to heavens gate till about 10 minuets after it opens.

That's an interesting point. Now that I think of it, if Bravo and HG open to the public at 8:00am then technically the first ones to get to HG will pretty much always be those who skied from 7:30 on. So the $500 is really an early pass for both lifts.

dlague

$500 is a lot for an extra half-hour of skiing. Personally I don't think I would...but then again I did most of my skiing (by choice) over at North.

Not to play a broken record, but I know that a lot of locals were pissed about "special" people getting to ski before the 8:00 opening. Now I bet they are going to be even more pissed. Bravo gets skied out so fast as it is.

I would never consider paying 50% more to get the extra 30 minutes. I feel they are holding pass holders ransom!

MadMadWorld

Why do you say that. The Forerunner opens at 7:30 we/hol to everyone. They don't nickel & dime. You do have to pay to play though. What Sugarbush & others are doing is nickel & diming. Stowe don't plat that.

That's true. They just build it into the price so everyone pays and no one gets special privileges lol

HowieT2

Haven't completely thought this through, but not feeling that $500 is worth it. I am in the target audience for this as I'm booting up for a powder day before 7:30 anyway. But how many powder days are there on weekends/holidays? From my experience, around 5 a season. So that's $100 a day. For $75 I can do the cat at 6:30. That's worth it.
more thoughts later, but gotta run