• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does Mad River Scare You a Little? NO!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Because I disagree with snowboard bans wherever they happen to be. Did Taos implode when they started allowing snowboarders five years ago? Of course not.

I have a fundamental issue with a place and people that for some reason wish to restrict that large of a population of people in our sport. Skiers and Snowboarders should be viewed as one in the same by everyone. Snowboarders do so because they find it more fun than skiing. Let them ride then.

MRG is a classic for it's terrain and facilities, not because it's skier only.

I haven't riden a board in almost 20 years and have no desire to. Most of my skiers are friends. That said, I think allowing snowboarders at MRG is the right thing to do and whenever it comes up, I'll state that opinion.

Savemeasammy

I skied MRG a few times in the late 80's in high school. I don't recall thinking "hmm... the moguls here suck".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scruffy

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by AdironRider
These threads sure are predictable.

Um, just figuring this out?

Naw, he's just taking his usual crap in this forum. He sits fat, dumb, and happy in Jackson, skiing 100+ days a year, and yet he feels compelled to drop in and drop a turd on us poor east coasters every now and a gain. Guess he has no one to talk to out there about riding the gnar. :lol:

Scruffy

A lot of skiers like to blame a lot of things for ruining their moguls ( boarders, tele skiers, beginners, mommy nature and her freeze thaw cycles,...) just means they can't, or are too fussy to, ski whatever is in front of them.

The really good skiers at MRG, the local faithful, the one's everyone else is in awe of, work on skiing that mountain in whatever condition it presents itself. They relish the challenge of the variety of conditions, they don't back down from a crappy day.

Last edited:

dlague

Well the last couple pages of posts were interesting! I have not skied MRG yet and honestly I do not feel like I am missing out on anything. While I think there are interesting lines that I would love to try based on discussions here and videos on youtube, I do find plenty to ski most anywhere outside of MRG. Then again, I do not need to be super challenged everywhere I go. Plain and simple, I just love being out there. I do not have any interests in bushwhacking, launching off cliffs, tight huge bumps, etc. If I have to stop in the woods to figure out where I need to go next - then I am not having fun. I do like skiing glades, catching air where landings are preditable, and spaced out bumps and steeps. Do I want to ski MRG - yes - but not a must for me.

I think the OP was posting that video to discuss how MRG is trying to market to the inferior skiers rather than the chest pounding - I can do this crowd. Or.... were they trying to poke fun like Cannon has done recently with their videos.

BTW - this day and age I do think snowboarders should be allowed - there are boarders that can shred it better than most skiers. We have all seen the side slipping skier or someone snowplowing down a steep. Shit happens!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bad analogy. The skier and the snowboarder want the same kind of food. The fact that it's 2015 and people STILL consider the two activities so different is bothersome to me.

gmcunni

Bad analogy. The skier and the snowboarder want the same kind of food. The fact that it's 2015 and people STILL consider the two activities so different is bothersome to me.

i disagree with you on the analogy.. .skiing is on the menu, snowboarding is not.

i agree with the 2nd part tho

VTKilarney

i disagree with you on the analogy.. .skiing is on the menu, snowboarding is not.

The product is a mountain with snow on it and lifts to get you to the top. Snowboarder like that "dish"
just as much as skiers.

gmcunni

The product is a mountain with snow on it and lifts to get you to the top. Snowboarder like that "dish"
just as much as skiers.

that is certainly a valid opinion, one not shared by MRG's mgt. they see skiing and riding as two different activities

certainly "food" is common between Italian and french restaurants yet what they offer is very different.

VTKilarney

that is certainly a valid opinion, one not shared by MRG's mgt. they see skiing and riding as two different activities
Is that the case or do they see the personality of the rider as being different and exclude based on that? I honestly don't know.

To be frank, it's not something that I get wound up about. While I don't see the merit in the policy, it's not as if snowboarders don't have plenty of other excellent options.

deadheadskier

Staff member

No.

The snow, the lifts, lodges, every single ingredient is the same. The menu is the same.

An appropriate analogy would be the restaurant only allows you to use a fork to eat the food when you prefer using chopsticks.

But for six years that restaurant did allow you to use either a fork or chopsticks. Then the owner gets in an argument with someone using chopsticks and says, no one can use chopsticks anymore.

It's the owners choice, but it's still a petty and lame decision IMO. If two snowboarders are a jerk to me, I'll say those two are jerks. I wouldn't cast off all boarders like she did. Totally lame of her to do that and equally lame of the co-op members to maintain that position.

gmcunni

No.

The snow, the lifts, lodges, every single ingredient is the same. The menu is the same.

An appropriate analogy would be the restaurant only allows you to use a fork to eat the food when you prefer using chopsticks.

we'll have to agree to disagree then.. you see it different than i do (in terms of the "menu"). i haven't been to MRG in years, not because they don't allow snowboarders, other reasons.

i don't see a difference in the two styles of riding. other than my daughter the person i've skied with the most this year is a snowboarder. we ski the same trails and ride the lifts together.

life is full of choices, they've made theirs

snowboarding_history.jpg

nkLottery

Are any of you at MRG today? Curious to hear a live opinion on the conditions. Wondering if it's worth the trip for tomorrow over Cannon or Wildcat?

Brad J

Did you ski MRG from 86 - 92? Was it awful for you because snowboarders were allowed?

I did ski there often in that time period and snowboarders were a non issue, also I did't realize that other guy from Jackson hole was a boarder only , I went to jackson hole this year and although a great place did not have the vibe of MRG IMHO. MRG is unique to it self with or without snowboarders. I just get a little ( a lot ) defensive of MRG from some guy that's in Jackson hole that did one run down poaching. I was very impressed at Jackson Hole on the tram standing beside a guy with a Jackson Hole Air Force patch on his back.

Breakout12

With all this debate about banning boarders, what would people think about a private ski area that was 21+?