• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's Open 2015-2016

KustyTheKlown

Loon went from 9 open to 16 open today. That's something I guess. Maybe I go there Saturday instead of K, for some variety and to save my max pass K days for late season

deadheadskier

Staff member
speaking of wildcat... I have the day off tomorrow - anyone know whether it's worth the 2+ hr drive and $49 ticket to ski at wildcat tomorrow??

Skiing was great on the limited open terrain on Saturday. Heard Sunday sucked. Not sure how much rain they got today. $49 is overpriced IMO for 1 & 1/2 trails plus a beginner area.

Quietman

Just checked the Wildcat snow report and this kind of says it all about this season. This is Wildcat, 2,000 base elevation, way up north, on Dec 17th and:

SNOWFALL TOTAL THIS SEASON 7" and I can add No significant really cold weather in sight!

Here we are all hoping for a short 2 day window of snowmaking to allow some more openings for the holidays. With all of our technology, it really sucks that we need to rely on cold weather to make snow. I was really hoping that someone would have fixed this minor issue before now. :evil::evil:

Sad thing is that I'm now glad that I have pass protection insurance on the Crotched pass that I bought in April. If this *$^#*%^ El Nino crap continues, I may be happy to get my $420 back and pay day rates for the few days that are worth skiing(the glades). I'm usually a glass half full kind of guy but 60 degrees on Christmas eve is just insane after the December that we've experienced so far.

Last edited:

prsboogie

Just checked the Wildcat snow report and this kind of says it all about this season. This is Wildcat, 2,000 base elevation, way up north, on Dec 17th and:

SNOWFALL TOTAL THIS SEASON 7" and I can add No significant really cold weather in sight!

Here we are all hoping for a short 2 day window of snowmaking to allow some more openings for the holidays. With all of our technology, it really sucks that we need to rely on cold weather to make snow. I was really hoping that someone would have fixed this minor issue before now. :evil::evil:

Sad thing is that I'm now glad that I have pass protection insurance on the Crotched pass that I bought in April. If this *$^#*%^ El Nino crap continues, I may be happy to get my $420 back and pay day rates for the few days that are worth skiing(the glades). I'm usually a glass half full kind of guy but 60 degrees on Christmas eve is just insane after the December that we've experienced so far.

I had my passes refunded on monday. Between this weather and the Ridenski card, Vt ski 3 and CSC card I'd never get there. Well not enough to justify a season pass, i do have (2) 3 packs so i will get there, eventually, I hope😡

drjeff

attachment.php

Mount Snow just lit up the system up top within the last 30 minutes (Summit Webcam pic captured from about noontime)

Attachments

• gunsbackon.jpg
    gunsbackon.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 211

Warp Daddy

The Lake Effect machine is cranking up later todaySnow Ridge targeted doe 24- 36 inches but its a short window since temps rise monday to 54degrees by Christmas .

Smellytele

Pats peak has tossed in the towel:

With Mother Nature throwing us curveball after curveball she is still, for sure, the “Bosslady”! Although she is giving us a glimmer of hope with some snowmaking temperatures returning around midnight and throughout the weekend.
With that said, we’ll be closed for skiing/riding until Saturday, December 26th in order for us to maximize this important snowmaking window, preserve the snowpack for the two warm days coming up and restore good skiing/riding for the Christmas holiday week.

drjeff

Pats peak has tossed in the towel:

With Mother Nature throwing us curveball after curveball she is still, for sure, the “Bosslady”! Although she is giving us a glimmer of hope with some snowmaking temperatures returning around midnight and throughout the weekend.
With that said, we’ll be closed for skiing/riding until Saturday, December 26th in order for us to maximize this important snowmaking window, preserve the snowpack for the two warm days coming up and restore good skiing/riding for the Christmas holiday week.

Kind of makes sense, especially for the smaller areas, to leave the whales from the production run intact until Christmas night and then push out whatever remains for the 26th. The thinner those whales get spread before next weeks next round of the blowtorch arrives, the less that will be left for the post Christmas crowds

SnowRock

Really itching to get out... Set aside money and what normal people would consider crazy in terms of driving. Who has the best offering right now from just outside New York with the option to leave this evening around 5-6 or just get up and be on the road 4ish tomorrow morning .. Okemo, K or f it and drive all the way up to Stowe? Im leaning okemo.

KustyTheKlown

I'm doing the same and am weighing options between killington, Stratton, loon and gore. All are max pass except gore. Gore has the most snow in forecast. Killington best bet for ungroomed stuff.

steamboat1

Really itching to get out... Set aside money and what normal people would consider crazy in terms of driving. Who has the best offering right now from just outside New York with the option to leave this evening around 5-6 or just get up and be on the road 4ish tomorrow morning .. Okemo, K or f it and drive all the way up to Stowe? Im leaning okemo.

If you can I'd wait for Sun. Gives the areas at least a 24 hr. + snowmaking window not to mention the probability of less bodies on the hill.

KustyTheKlown

Think I'm gonna hit Stratton tomorrow. Loon isn't worth the drive and gore isn't worth spending money, and I'll be thanking myself come May when I have killington days remaining on the pass

oldtimer

STAY HOME: save your money. Saturday- going from gush to rock hard in the places that have any snow left. Sunday: hard as a rock with all available guns roaring.

March 28th: snow everywhere, long days, bright sunshine and no one will buy a ticket.

dlague

Well based on what K has open right now (that will change this weekend) it is broken up into pods North Ridge (~500 vert), Super Star (~1300 Vert), and Snowdon (~1050 vert). There are great options with Upper Eastfall and Skylark for bumps and ungroomed. Yes you can ski T2B but the trail for that sucks IMO - heavy beginner traffic. I do feel that Killington because of those pods skis small. North Ridge not too much vert, Snowdon Quad is slow and stops frequently making the trip back down seem fast. So the best skiing is off SS and Skylark at least when I was there was fun but still seems quick. However, skiing bumps all day beats me up right now. Probably need to get better.

Okemo, from my perspective based on current opened (that too will change) is providing 4-5 options of 1600' vert with great cruising if that is what you want. I like to mix it up. They like to groom there so any bumps that do form typically show up in the afternoon and late morning. Nor'Easter part of Countdown and Upper WC have the best opportunity for bumps. Okemo also has the most terrain open at this time.

I think both will be mobbed, then again possibly not. Dollar for Dollar I would go to Okemo. But I am not. I am going to Cannon Saturday where I will ski runs that provide ~ 2000 vert. and possibly Sunday River on Sunday.

KustyTheKlown

The only expense is gas, which is marginal. I'm not gonna get to Stratton 5x this year and won't finish the max pass days. Just wanna be outside and keep the legs moving so I'm ready for my Utah trip next week