• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whitney Houston

JimG.

Staff member
Addiction is not a choice...it will get you one way or another, and it does not have to be because of alcohol or drugs.

Such a beautiful and talented woman. what is so sad to me is that she was so famous, had so much press, was so well known, and yet she died alone, in a hotel bathtub. For all her talent and fame, in the end she had nobody to even talk to. That's what addiction really does to you.

That sucks and almost makes me want to cry.

o3jeff

Not to be the jerk, but essentially we all have the choice to use it or not. Interesting clip from an interview.

Hawkshot99

Addiction is not a choice...it will get you one way or another, and it does not have to be because of alcohol or drugs.

Addiction may not be a choice, but choosing to use the drugs in the first place to become addicted is a choice. I have never heard of a person accidently falling on a heroin needle, or accidently snorting a line of coke, or any other semerio.
The only addiction that is not a choice is a baby that the mother was using heavy drugs during the pregnancy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tell that to all of the people the drug cartels have gunned down....

Scotty is referring to the legalization of marijuana, a non-addictive far safer substance than pretty much any other drug, including alcohol.

How much violent crime is there in Amsterdam where MJ is legal? None. When a substance is legalized and controlled by the government, the cartels go away. How many alcohol "cartels" exist in the US today? None. How many did during prohibition? Many.

Your comment is extremely naive.

Hawkshot99

Your comment is extremely naive.

You can call me ignorant and naive all you want, it really has no effect on me.

But all of the drugs mentioned are not legal, and lots of people have died either directly from them, or indirectly. Breathing any burning smoke is going to be bad for your lungs.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You can call me ignorant and naive all you want, it really has no effect on me.

But all of the drugs mentioned are not legal, and lots of people have died either directly from them, or indirectly. Breathing any burning smoke is going to be bad for your lungs.

Ever have a beer Hawkshot? Ever get drunk?

Hawkshot99

Ever have a beer Hawkshot? Ever get drunk?

Yes I have, and I am not addicted to alchol. But I am not going to go back and forth with you. I still feel addiction is entirely from personal choices, and there is ntothing that you are going to say to make me feel differently, and I am guessing I will not be changing your opinion either.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes I have, and I am not addicted to alchol. But I am not going to go back and forth with you. I still feel addiction is entirely from personal choices, and there is ntothing that you are going to say to make me feel differently, and I am guessing I will not be changing your opinion either.

So I imagine that you feel that homosexuality is also a choice?

In some cases, maybe things look like a choice, but there is a dependency problem that is more than just a choice. If you are saying that people say that they have a problem to dodge personal responsibility, then I see your point. But everyone has their own natural predispositions, good and bad.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So I imagine that you feel that homosexuality is also a choice?

In some cases, maybe things look like a choice, but there is a dependency problem that is more than just a choice. If you are saying that people say that they have a problem to dodge personal responsibility, then I see your point. But everyone has their own natural predispositions, good and bad.

bingo

hammer

Yes I have, and I am not addicted to alcohol. But I am not going to go back and forth with you. I still feel addiction is entirely from personal choices, and there is nothing that you are going to say to make me feel differently, and I am guessing I will not be changing your opinion either.
I'd actually have to say that this opinion has some merit. While an addict didn't make a conscious decision to become addicted, the addict certainly made the decision to initially ingest the addictive substance.

That said, prescription meds may be one case where the decision to initially ingest may not have been actively made by the patient.

The decision to initially take an addictive substance, or to continue taking it to the point of addiction, may be considered just a high-risk bad decision and not some basic character flaw.

Is there anything else we all do that may be considered a bit risky but we feel the risk is managed enough?

Rare is the individual who has not made a risky decision in his/her life that, in retrospect, was a bad one. Most of us are usually lucky enough that those decisions didn't have bad consequences.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So now homosexuality is a disease, or a addiction? I am not seeing how that has anything to do with this.

Some think that it is, actually. And it is relevant because it is an example of how some use your logic (i.e. everything comes down to choice).

But regardless, sad story.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So now homosexuality is a disease, or a addiction? I am not seeing how that has anything to do with this.

What he's saying is some people are born worth certain traits and an addictive personality is one of those traits, just like homosexuality is one of those traits.

Your comment earlier in thread said you were not stupid and would never take drugs. Yet, you admit to having consumed and gotten drunk on alcohol. There are more alcoholics in this country than drug addicts, yet somehow it's not stupid that you tried alcohol?

For some addicts, their addiction begins with that first experience. They want to repeat the "high" again and as often as possible. I've got a couple of friends from high school who are sober these days because the are alcoholics. We used to drink on the weekends as many high school kids do. All the way back then, they wanted to get plastered every single weekend. Now, you couldn't tell at the time that they had a problem, but looking back, it's pretty easy for me to see now and why they made the choice to get sober. Addicts have a saying, either sober up, get locked up or get covered up. Unfortunately for Whitney, she got covered up.

witch hobble

the best rendition of the National Anthem ever

What about the Dixie Chicks' super bowl version, just two months before they became every jingoist's most despised country group, for saying something that half the country was feeling??? It's better, IMHO.

RIP Whitney

gmcunni

What about the Dixie Chicks' super bowl version, just two months before they became every jingoist's most despised country group, for saying something that half the country was feeling??? It's better, IMHO.

i don't recall their version, got a link?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
She was found by her aides with her head below water level in her bath tub. I am guessing OD on something an passed out having the head fall below water and drowned.

If she OD, I do not see her death as tragic. Drugs are a choice. If she had kids that are now motherless then that is a tragedy.

I thought maybe she's fallen off a chair lift. :dontknow: