• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fun With Google Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMadWorld

I've been working on participating a little more... But apparently not hard enough.

Consider that the limited time I have to write about my thoughts/ideas on the bc I put mostly toward the blog. I suppose I could then cut and paste that stuff into the forums to make it look more original but what's the point?

So I link and look forward to the discussion it generates. And by discussion I don't (just) mean compliments. I honestly enjoy being told when I'm full of it... when I'm mistaken... or when there's something that I didn't consider.

I admit I'm guilty lurking on other's posts rather than offering my thoughts. But like I said above... working on that.

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like he is trying to profit from his posts. If it's against AZ rules to promote other blogs/forums that's a different story. I really appreciate the posts. Helps me check out new lines, conditions, etc.

kingdom-tele

truth be told, I don't read blogs, well one, andreas fransson's, but it's not even for the skiing as much as it is for what skiing is in his life. this is a waste of time riv. apologies andy, I think my issue with the google earth post has little to do with you and more with me, thanks, a little clarity is always appreciated. be safe out there. enjoy the turns.

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
No worries kingdom. Your comments pushed for some introspection which is always good.

truth be told, I don't read blogs, well one, andreas fransson's, but it's not even for the skiing as much as it is for what skiing is in his life.

Also, thanks for bringing his blog to my attention. I heard of his steep skiing exploits, but didn't know he was in the blogosphere. One post and I'm hooked.

gereddunne

Off-topic question. Supertroopers. Loosely based on Newport Center, correct? That tractor thing with the cop cars last fall got me thinking.

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
As described above, we write articles, we post to forums, we enter into discussion. It is certainly self-promotion, but spam? Spam is dump & run in my book, which I feel like I've been conscious to avoid. Am I wrong?

GD made a poor choice on MTBR, to which he admitted his mistake.. lesson learned.

Qualitatively, the post on TGR was no different than any number that appear there. The objection as I understand it had to do with the fact that we hadn't posted long enough, and that there were not more of the seven pictures from that piece in the OP. Seemed kinda petty. And sure enough, the two folks who objected later admitted that they had another axe to grind. Specifically they take issue with our policy of freely discussing backcountry locations. Fine. A difference of opinion.

I take it the two folks who feel the need to bring in the other sites to this discussion have no other agenda than to stoke up the same bloodsport here that commonly occurs on the TGR forums.

I could be mistaken. Maybe they want to talk about what constitutes spam and what doesn't and what is acceptable self-promotion and what isn't.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between posting a thought here and inviting discussion as opposed to posting on a blog, then linking to it here, and engaging in discussion? One appears to be acceptable self promotion... the other is somehow "shameless self promotion".

AdironRider

You see it would be one thing if you left it to this thread, considering its a northeast ski forum.

But seriously, you need to take a long hard look in the mirror and read those threads and see that you bring this on yourselves. THe mtbr thread is pretty self explanatory, but you guys posted a thread looking for trip reports then magically find one of your own?

The TGR thread you were immediately called out by myself and numerous others (much more than the two you say), then call in your enforcer in GD again and go on a douche parade. You even got called out by Kingdom here as well.

There is no agenda here other than you being exposed for what your truely are, which has been confirmed by your posts and three separate instances of just trying to drive traffic to your blog (loaded with ads by the way...convenient) and they cry foul.

Get overyourself and quit toeing the line that your trying to do something other than shameless self promotion. Its been proven three times now. I hope you enjoyed your brief uptick in traffic, because on three of the most popular outdoor recreation boards going out there you've shown your true colors, and noone is going to take you seriously any longer, which probably wouldnt have taken long considering to begin with given the misinformation and overall lack of quality of the blog to begin with.

AdironRider

Again, you and GD need to look in the mirror.

YOu have a grand total of like 225 total posts across all three boards. When called on your BS, you complain about how people just need to understand your just trying to have a discussion. If you really cared about that, you would have been having discussion for years. You havent, and have proven that isnt your intent otherwise.

Call it insults if you want, but you keep toeing the line about the issue across several media forms. YOu think getting the same reaction all across the internet is everyone elses fault?

snoseek

There's a fine line between giving and taking in online communities.

Your soul purpose of joining any of these communities is simply to take in the form of creating blog traffic. That doesn't sit well with a lot of people as you can see.

As much as you want to defend yourself for these actions the fact of the matter is the majority (by far) of the people don't agree with your actions. Could everyone else be out of touch and you correct? Answer:no. The sooner you realize this and the sooner you change your methods the better IMO.

Lot's of people post blogs AND provide constant stoke directly to the board and noone cares about that. Lots of people get involved in these communities to exchange thoughts and ideas within. When people with low post counts start showing up and directly linking to whatever it is SPAM imo, no way around it....it's self serving. Do what you want but don't expect to not be called out. This is how it works dude and of those three boards consider this one to be the most forgiving easily.

That's all I got, I should probably go out and ski the three inches of dust on crust last night. Man I'm jealous of you east coasters right now....doesn't happen too often if February

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like he is trying to profit from his posts. If it's against AZ rules to promote other blogs/forums that's a different story. I really appreciate the posts. Helps me check out new lines, conditions, etc.

Not to open a can of worms here but here's my .02 on the thing. I have zero issue with promoting your own blogs....we have a lot of bloggers here .... skiing in maine, harvey road, snowway, etc etc etc. They are awesome sites with really compelling enjoyable content that is fun to read. NEBK makes some great posts too (IMO) and there is no doubt the blog content is certainly compelling to the AZ crowd.

That said, I also draw a line.... most posters on this site with their own blogs also are active members on AZ, a real part of the community. It does appear in the past that NEBK and Gerred Dunne both jump in here, make a post with three sentances and a link, and bail. Inside info; I have talked with NEBK about this before, and he agreed to participate more actively on the forum, and in fact I have seen some more representation from him.

I think the more info and stuff we have to discuss, the better; but I also don't want AZ to become a link directory to skiing blogs. That's why there is some reciprocity expected. It's courteous (IMO).

"a rising tide lifts all boats" I think applies to the ski blog / forum / internet community.

gereddunne

fair enough, and thanks for the reasonable reply Nick.

look, it's a lot of work to put those stories together. i don't have much time for floating around the forums on top of that, and then you've got guys like kingdomtele just making everyone feel real good to be a part of the AZ community. if you've got any real problem it's that your membership is edging closer and closer to tgr, and you're spending your time writing friendly reminders to people who are creating positive content for you and your readership. i mean, look at the recent jay post. one ahole and 4 overwhelmingly positive responses. no one thought twice about having to go off-site to read for a moment. and they didn't leave a comment on our blog. they left it on your forum, as intended.

you better watch out though. that one aholee is going to pollute and ruin a brand you've been building for a long time now. it won't be the spamming bloggers who kill forums for good. it will be letting one or two people suck all the air good vibes out of your virtual community.

frankly, this it's just not my thing. i think what we produce is good content, and I always try to leave a conversation starter back on the forum so people can go at it there. if that's not enough I'll lay off it. i enjoy the skiing, and the writing. the insulting hooligan insider ski culture, that's the real problem and it's your problem now.

BeefyBoy50

Not to open a can of worms here but here's my .02 on the thing. I have zero issue with promoting your own blogs....we have a lot of bloggers here .... skiing in maine, harvey road, snowway, etc etc etc. They are awesome sites with really compelling enjoyable content that is fun to read. NEBK makes some great posts too (IMO) and there is no doubt the blog content is certainly compelling to the AZ crowd.

That said, I also draw a line.... most posters on this site with their own blogs also are active members on AZ, a real part of the community. It does appear in the past that NEBK and Gerred Dunne both jump in here, make a post with three sentances and a link, and bail. Inside info; I have talked with NEBK about this before, and he agreed to participate more actively on the forum, and in fact I have seen some more representation from him.

I think the more info and stuff we have to discuss, the better; but I also don't want AZ to become a link directory to skiing blogs. That's why there is some reciprocity expected. It's courteous (IMO).

"a rising tide lifts all boats" I think applies to the ski blog / forum / internet community.

+1 I like how you handled that.
In essence a lot more than just blogs can be considered self promoting- a youtube video posted on here will draw more viewers than if it wasn't posted on here. But having looked around at postings on other forums by NEBC and GD it seems there have been times that they have certainly gone over the line with the links and such.

kingdom-tele

look, it's a lot of work to put those stories together. i don't have much time for floating around the forums on top of that, and then you've got guys like kingdomtele just making everyone feel real good to be a part of the AZ community. if you've got any real problem it's that your membership is edging closer and closer to tgr, and you're spending your time writing friendly reminders to people who are creating positive content for you and your readership. i mean, look at the recent jay post. one ahole and 4 overwhelmingly positive responses. no one thought twice about having to go off-site to read for a moment. and they didn't leave a comment on our blog. they left it on your forum, as intended.

you better watch out though. that one aholee is going to pollute and ruin a brand you've been building for a long time now. it won't be the spamming bloggers who kill forums for good. it will be letting one or two people suck all the air good vibes out of your virtual community.

frankly, this it's just not my thing. i think what we produce is good content, and I always try to leave a conversation starter back on the forum so people can go at it there. if that's not enough I'll lay off it. i enjoy the skiing, and the writing. the insulting hooligan insider ski culture, that's the real problem and it's your problem now.

I deleted the post. My issue with you didn't need to be read by anyone in retrospect and I should have kept it to myself. you think I'm an asshole, no worries, I'll take it as a compliment coming from someone who appears to have their head shoved up their own ass. congrats on first tracks ger, your really sticking it to the NE ski community with your incredible effort, good luck down in black falls

feel free to ban me AZ mods

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

I've sent you a PM for further discussion. No need to cover it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.