• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Largest resort in the East?

jimk

Looking at that list I was surprised to learn Le Massif is #4 on the east coast. I need to get there one of these years.
Le Massif isn't as expansive as some others mentioned in this thread, but IIRC there are three high speed lifts that each have a vertical in the 2000-2200 foot range, so it's among the best in the East if your intention was to make repeat laps of big vert. Although I think I heard operation of one of the HSQs was curtailed last season due to budget issues??

skiNEwhere

Although I think I heard operation of one of the HSQs was curtailed last season due to budget issues??

That is correct. I don't remember the name of it, but it's the lift all the way to the lookers left of the Mtn

steamboat1

Le Massif isn't as expansive as some others mentioned in this thread, but IIRC there are three high speed lifts that each have a vertical in the 2000-2200 foot range, so it's among the best in the East if your intention was to make repeat laps of big vert. Although I think I heard operation of one of the HSQs was curtailed last season due to budget issues??
Both quads serve the same terrain. No great loss not running one.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
With Mt. Ellen, the Lynx, Castlerock, Heaven's Gate and the Valley area; I think that Sugarbush skis larger than Killington. That being said, Killington is an easy day-trip for me. The extra hour to Sugarbush is "killer" for me.

Killington wins as my favorite area because of early/late season skiing, as well as its proximity to me (i.e. major metropolitan areas).

With regard to Sugarloaf, if the snowfields aren't open, I prefer the laid back feel of Saddleback to Sugarloaf, but neither holds a candle to Killington on the early/late season product.

abc

I have a love/hate relationship with Killington.

Yes, I agree with many it skis large. Why? Because it has MANY trails, of different aspect and different character. So in a weekend, I typically don't get to hit all the trails I want to try. (partly because I would repeat a trail if condition is good. And with so many different faces of K, some trails will bound to have decent condition)

The same thing that makes K "skis large" is also the same thing that makes it skis short. Shorter than many mountain that has less overall elevation. So when I hit a trail in good condition, it almost ALWAYS end far too soon!

The annoying traverse and merges are just side effect of the layout of the mountain.

But I'm also not a huge fan of single lift serving a huge vertical either. More than 1000', the condition on top is quite often very different than the condition at the bottom. Do I really want to deal with the slush every run in order to ski the perfect powder/corn at the upper mountain? Or do I care to deal with the 35mph wind at the top station in order not to miss the perfectly groomed surfaces at the bottom half?

To me, there's a perfect middle ground of size/length/vertical. I love Platty, just wish it gets more snow. I love Sugarbush, just wish it's less crowded on weekends. Stowe is great too when I can afford it. Killington? It's not my favorite. Too big for my need, too "chopped up" for my liking. Still, I find it enjoyable enough when I do go there for a day or two.

goldsbar

I finally made it back to Killington last year after a ~20 year hiatus. The width was impressive, with lots of mountains to choose from. None of them felt long. All of the trails felt crowded even when the lifts were ski on/off. Clearly a lot of people like the place and there are a lot of good skiers (and a lot of not so good sitting in the middle of every trail), but I don't see going back. Hunter Mountain vibe and the trails at Hunter actually feel longer.

I see why a lot of people buy/rent houses nearby. They clearly put a lot into snow blowing and are always open early and late. I just didn't find the trails interesting - or maybe it was the fact that there were always people next to me or splayed out on every good bump run line. The painful extra hour to SB/MRG/etc. is worth it from my perspective.

Handbanana

I finally made it back to Killington last year after a ~20 year hiatus. The width was impressive, with lots of mountains to choose from. None of them felt long. All of the trails felt crowded even when the lifts were ski on/off. Clearly a lot of people like the place and there are a lot of good skiers (and a lot of not so good sitting in the middle of every trail), but I don't see going back. Hunter Mountain vibe and the trails at Hunter actually feel longer.

I see why a lot of people buy/rent houses nearby. They clearly put a lot into snow blowing and are always open early and late. I just didn't find the trails interesting - or maybe it was the fact that there were always people next to me or splayed out on every good bump run line. The painful extra hour to SB/MRG/etc. is worth it from my perspective.

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. Went for the 1st time at the end of March, felt the exact same way, minus Hunter cuz I'm only heading north. Of the 10+ mountains I hit last year, I never noticed such a messed up relation of too much uphill capacity to not enough downhill space.

xlr8r

With Mt. Ellen, the Lynx, Castlerock, Heaven's Gate and the Valley area; I think that Sugarbush skis larger than Killington. That being said, Killington is an easy day-trip for me. The extra hour to Sugarbush is "killer" for me.

Killington wins as my favorite area because of early/late season skiing, as well as its proximity to me (i.e. major metropolitan areas).

With regard to Sugarloaf, if the snowfields aren't open, I prefer the laid back feel of Saddleback to Sugarloaf, but neither holds a candle to Killington on the early/late season product.

I agree with this. While Sugarbush might not have all the trails of Killington, the pods at Sugarbush all have big vert and are well segregated making the place feel huge. Also riding the Slidebrook express from one side to the the other feels like traveling to another area entirely as you cannot really see Mount Ellen's trails from Lincoln Peak, and vice versa. Sugarbush, Killington, and Sunday River all feel equally large for the most part.

I have not been to Sugarloaf, but I agree with those that say the hike to terrain should not count. Terrain should only count towards the areas total acreage if it is entirely lift served. That means you don't have to hike to ski it, or hike out after skiing it.

Another comparison is the battle for size in NH. While Bretton Woods claims to be the largest in the state, but to me at least Loon and Cannon (when Mittersil chair is open) feel much larger.

BenedictGomez

Killington? It's not my favorite.

Hmm...this has bumper sticker potential.

I agree; it's pretty dang good. I feel like it's missing a little something though........

I finally made it back to Killington last year after a ~20 year hiatus.... All of the trails felt crowded even when the lifts were ski on/off. Clearly a lot of people like the place and there are a lot of good skiers (and a lot of not so good sitting in the middle of every trail), but I don't see going back. Hunter Mountain vibe and the trails at Hunter actually feel longer.The painful extra hour to SB/MRG/etc. is worth it from my perspective.

I've GOT it!

"Killington; it's not your favorite, but who wants to drive another 45 minutes?"

ScottySkis

Killington is huge just a lot several 1600 vertical hills. It still one of the best to me because it gets natural snow a lot of the time. Do I like the mountains to north vermont and Cannon better yes but i need 3 day weekend for those. K I can do drive 3.5 hours ski sleep ski go home. That the plan this year when they get snow a few times.

steamboat1

Killington is huge just a lot several 1600 vertical hills. It still one of the best to me because it gets natural snow a lot of the time. Do I like the mountains to north vermont and Cannon better yes but i need 3 day weekend for those. K I can do drive 3.5 hours ski sleep ski go home. That the plan this year when they get snow a few times.
If you're ever at K during the week let me know. I'd love to make some turns with you. I'd even have a relatively inexpensive ($36) place for you to stay nearby so you don't have to sleep in the car. I know you're working now so weekdays are probably tough but that's the only time I'm around.

Cornhead

but neither holds a candle to Killington on the early/late season product.
Depends on the year, I skied Sugarloaf in late April a few yrs ago, the back side of the mountain was open, it was surreal. I am happy Killington has a renewed commitment to early/late season, it's half the distance of Sugarloaf for me, and a lot closer than Jay too.

I've been skiing K late season the last 3 yrs. I hadn't been to K in 10 yrs prior. The first time I skied there I was amazed, and turned off, by the number of people on the cross trails. If you wanted to continue on a trail beyond the cross trail, you'd have to stop and wait for a break in the traffic jam to carry on. Luckily I knew my K pass would let me ski Pico, so I spent the afternoon there. I'd like to ski K mid-season again sometime...on a weekday.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

snoseek

As much as I really like the in your face heaving mountain that is Sugarloaf Killington skis way bigger IMO....hell it skis bigger than a lot of western resorts.