• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Largest resort in the East?

Domeskier

attachment.php

:grin: I hope Sundown hasn't spent all it's marketing budget yet!

steamboat1

I think the North Ridge chair at MT. Ellen would give others a run for their money for continuous vertical off of one lift. Anyone happen to know it's vertical rise?

BenedictGomez

I think the North Ridge chair at MT. Ellen would give others a run for their money for continuous vertical off of one lift. Anyone happen to know it's vertical rise?

It's 2,552 vertical according to Mountain Vertical, second place in the east to Whiteface.

Killington is the biggest offender lmao

I guess they figured going the honest route with:

"Killington, the 22nd biggest vertical in the East"

Wasn't very appealing.

skiNEwhere

Does anyone here actually lap the skyeship gondola from the bottom?

I'd venture to guess no

BenedictGomez

Anecdotally, I also believe:

"Killington, we have almost as much vertical as Attitash"

Was rejected by marketing.

mbedle

Believe it or not, we use to back in the late 80's or early 90's. Was just learning how to ski and board. It was fun from a beginners point of view. So I would say that a lot of people do, just not more experienced people. Maybe some parents with kid learning how to ski.

VTKilarney

Does anyone here actually lap the skyeship gondola from the bottom?

I'd venture to guess no
Like the earlier poster, I can remember doing it when I was much newer to skiing. There was a novelty to the length of the run. But of course this dates back to when the gondola went all they way to Killington Peak. I also remember being on the "10 mile" Juggernaut trail. I bailed out as soon as possible after realizing what a joke the trail was.

mbedle

Like the earlier poster, I can remember doing it when I was much newer to skiing. There was a novelty to the length of the run. But of course this dates back to when the gondola went all they way to Killington Peak. I also remember being on the "10 mile" Juggernaut trail. I bailed out as soon as possible after realizing what a joke the trail was.

My friends use to drag me on Juggernaut, when I was learning how to board. Holy shit, talk about a painful experience. But I did have some kick ass calf muscles after the season!!!!

BenedictGomez

Looking at that list I was surprised to learn Le Massif is #4 on the east coast. I need to get there one of these years.

skiNEwhere

My friends use to drag me on Juggernaut, when I was learning how to board. Holy shit, talk about a painful experience. But I did have some kick ass calf muscles after the season!!!!

You need better friends :)

Let me guess, they were skiers?

mbedle

You got it.... I don't ski with them anymore. Now days, I actually twitch a little when I get to a run out or traverse. LOL

steamboat1

Looking at that list I was surprised to learn Le Massif is #4 on the east coast. I need to get there one of these years.
Base of the mountain is just about at sea level though. You now park at the top of the mountain. Wasn't always that way but parking on top saves about a 1/2 hour drive time from QC. It can get a little icy at the bottom sometimes with the humid air blowing in off the St. Lawrence. I'd highly recommend it though if you've never been.

Cornhead

The lack of terrain for beginners and lower intermediates is a problem. Not only that, but several "Blue squares" at Whiteface would be Black Diamonds anywhere in New England, or at very least they have some legitimate diamond sections to them.
This is true, dependent on conditions, the new Willmington Trail is long and mellow, save for two drops that can be very intimidating for less skilled skiers when icy or bumped up. Skiing from the summit often involves negotiating a steep sheet of ice for a hundred yards or so until turnable snow is reached, no biggie, but it can also be intimidating.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

jimk

I haven't been to Killington in 13 years, but I have a lot of great memories from skiing there about 10 different trips between approximately '76-'01. It was the first big New England ski area I got somewhat familiar with. A couple of times I was up there when my kids were young and lapping Skyeship and Sunrise was something they really enjoyed. I skied both Whiteface and Sugarloaf last winter and in my memories Killington still looms larger. I guess I need to get back to Killington sometime soon to see how I still feel? There's a lot of quality black diamond terrain from Canyon/K-1 to Needles Eye to Bear Mtn.