• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Goggle lens for the East

levy1

Being older I wanted the best flat light lens I could get and I wanted to be able to change them so I will end up buying the Oakley and it came with the prism lens and high yellow. The prism lenses are black for high sunlight and then there's a rose one and another one both of them for less sunlight and I'm thinking if I'm skiing in the East I don't want the black one because he's just not that sunny like it is out west what's your openion? These are Oakley airbrake.

BenedictGomez

[h=2]Goggle lens Pricing - any basis in reality? [/h]
Seriously, the margins on these things must be off the hook.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The lens price isn't what shocks me, its the frames. I had no idea until recently how much you could spend on goggles. Figured $250 was the top end and I was WAY off.

bigbog

The lens price isn't what shocks me, its the frames. I had no idea until recently how much you could spend on goggles. Figured $250 was the top end and I was WAY off.

Fashion isn't just for adult work/leisure clothes...
When teens will spend over $1k for a sports jacket(I think I recall in M.Jordan era).....performance equipment will be off the cliff...
When a major sector of the population of cities has no idea of what priorities should look like....advertising is what it's all about = sucker kids, visiting Western resorts as well as coming from the large urban centers of the East..that want to have a "look", are born every minute.

Last edited:

Breakout12

Being older I wanted the best flat light lens I could get and I wanted to be able to change them so I will end up buying the Oakley and it came with the prism lens and high yellow. The prism lenses are black for high sunlight and then there's a rose one and another one both of them for less sunlight and I'm thinking if I'm skiing in the East I don't want the black one because he's just not that sunny like it is out west what's your openion? These are Oakley airbrake.

I'm pretty sure all brands have interchangeable lenses.

jimmywilson69

I have a Smith model that has interchangeable lenses. It is an older one, the Fuse I believe. I'm sure there is a newer version. I love it. I have a full sun, a low light, and a clear for night skiing (I ski a lot at night here in Central PA). Easy to change, although not as easier as some of the new systems I'm sure.

C-Rex

I have Smith I/O's and use the Yellow Sensor lens (at least I think that's what it's called) for low light. It's great. Boosts the contrast with minimal tint. I'm sure Oakley has something similar. Or you could always just get a clear lens.

BenedictGomez

Fashion isn't just for adult work/leisure clothes...
When teens will spend over $1k for a sports jacket(I think I recall in M.Jordan era).....performance equipment will be off the cliff...
When a major sector of the population of cities has no idea of what priorities should look like....advertising is what it's all about = sucker kids, visiting Western resorts as well as coming from the large urban centers of the East..that want to have a "look", are born every minute.

Those stupid Beats by Dre headphones are a great example of this. Ludicrous pricing.

mister moose

My solution is to buy goggles on ebay for way less than the price of a lens. The way this stuff is distributed, you can't buy a replacement lens for cheap. So I have spare frames all set to go on my spare lenses. You also have none of the hassle of changing lenses in a frame. Or expense and limited lens choice of fancy IO lenses.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

Puck it

C-Rex

My solution is to buy goggles on ebay for way less than the price of a lens. The way this stuff is distributed, you can't buy a replacement lens for cheap. So I have spare frames all set to go on my spare lenses. You also have none of the hassle of changing lenses in a frame. Or expense and limited lens choice of fancy IO lenses.

It takes me about 15 seconds to change lenses and my goggles came with both of them. I'd rather have a good set of goggles that are optically correct, comfortable, and never fog than a cheap set. If they happen to look cool as well, even better. I paid around $160 a couple years ago when they had just come out, which I agree isn't cheap, but it's not the top of the range by any means either. I ride around 25-30 times a year and I'll have them for at least 4-5 years. Totally worth the money, IMO.

C-Rex

levy1

I guess I didn't explain myself very well I bought the Oakley airbrake for $188 it came with a black prism Lens and a high yellow I wanted for flat light now the prison lens is black they also have the Jade and they have a rose I'm thinking the Black is going to be too dark for Eastern skiing and I should get a jade or a rose does anybody have an opinion on this

Rutecki

I have the same goggles. Yellow lens, a medium one (can't remember which, but i think it's Amber?), and then one for full on sun (reflective coating). I love them. Super easy to change, and I've had days where I've used all three lenses. I don't know the difference between the Jade and Rose that you are talking about, but if you go to the Oakley website, you can chose different lenses, and it shows your the affect, as well as telling you what light they are good for.

steamboat1

Just wore out my $25 Oakleys that I wore for years. The foam on top dried out allowing snow to get inside the lens. Broke out my new $25 Smith goggles I picked up on sale a year or two ago. Both have yellow lenses that I've never had issues with, no fogging. Can't see spending a ton of money on goggles. To each his own I guess.