Home Improvement Hell - Ice Dam Recovery...

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home Improvement Hell - Ice Dam Recovery...

So this thread is going to serve as a record for my home improvement woes as a result of the ice and snow this past winter.

With the lack of skiing this past month due to the home issues, I figured I would share with you guys the journey I have undertaken in getting my home fixed. This all started on February 10th, and here we are March 3rd and a wall hasn't been opened up yet.

In the time that's passed, I have been dealing with the Insurance Company, unlicensed contractors (who I kick out of my house frequently), the division of insurance in the state of massachusetts and more.

Finally, I have gotten an estimate to do water mitigation in my house. That price is $5500... this only is to open the walls, and dry things out... Not to restore the house jkust yet.

Anyone who is dealing with this, make sure that you have a contractor who is properly licensed in massachusetts (if you are in mass). It's a nightmare but a processes needed to follow. Maybe just maybe if I am lucky, I will get on the snow Thursday or Saturday...

photos to come later!

Skiing for 2017-2018 - 2 Visits

Mount Snow: 11/11/2017, 11/25/2017

Seasons Past:
    2016-2017 - 23 Visits; 2015-2016 - 17 Visits; 2014-2015 - 20 visits: 2013-2014 - 19 visits: 2012-2013 - 13 Visits;
    2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2010-2011 - 19 Visits; 2009-2010 - 16 Visits; 2008-2009 - 15 Visits

You know that insurance does not pay to fix the leaking roof from the ice dam. Right? They are only responsible for the damage and sometimes they will require that there is proof the original problem was fixed.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    You know that insurance does not pay to fix the leaking roof from the ice dam. Right? They are only responsible for the damage and sometimes they will require that there is proof the original problem was fixed.
    You usually can get riders to cover this sort of stuff. For a fee of course.

What I hate is there is not a damned thing you can do about it while it's happening, other than empty five gallons at a time every half hour or so. We did everything everyone advised, snow/ice shield under the shingles, soffit reconstruction, new ventilation, new insulation, new ridge vent and including shoveling the entire roof off. No ice dams this year (a little last year), but huge (1 foot thick) ice dams and icicles that need slicing daily.

How old is your house?
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Who is the best type of contractor to get for preventive work? Looks like we dodged a bullet (may want to have the gutters rechecked to make sure they didn't get damaged from the ice weight), but I'm sure we need to have a few things done in one area of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by billski View Post
    You usually can get riders to cover this sort of stuff. For a fee of course.

What I hate is there is not a damned thing you can do about it while it's happening, other than empty five gallons at a time every half hour or so. We did everything everyone advised, snow/ice shield under the shingles, soffit reconstruction, new ventilation, new insulation, new ridge vent and including shoveling the entire roof off. No ice dams this year (a little last year), but huge (1 foot thick) ice dams and icicles that need slicing daily.

How old is your house?
    The bold section makes no sense. You didn't have and you did. The only way to prevent them for sure that I can think of is to spray foam the inside of the roof. Rafters and sheeving. This is keep the whole roof cold with any air leakage from the warm interior. My problem was the ridge vent was covered with snow and this allowed the attic to heat up due to the lack of circulation.
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

The bold section makes no sense. You didn't have and you did. The only way to prevent them for sure that I can think of is to spray foam the inside of the roof. Rafters and sheeving. This is keep the whole roof cold with any air leakage from the warm interior. My problem was the ridge vent was covered with snow and this allowed the attic to heat up due to the lack of circulation.
    Wonder what can be done for the ridge vent issue.

Don't you need to put baffles of some sort to allow for air flow between the rafters? When I had my attic finished, that's what I did. Maybe that's not needed if you keep the attic unfinished.

Helps some but based on this year not enough...

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post

Don't you need to put baffles of some sort to allow for air flow between the rafters? When I had my attic finished, that's what I did. Maybe that's not needed if you keep the attic unfinished.

Yes air flow is key if it is fiber insulation. Foam can be sprayed directly and it prevents air leaks.

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

When you apply spray foam directly on the bottom of the roof sheathing (or otherwise have an unvented roof with no airspace between the insulation and sheathing), you have what is known as a "hot roof". You are correct though about the importance of preventing air leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post

IMO and experience, the baffles you refer to are not substantial enough to serve as an adequate air space. The volume of air is small, and the baffles themselves are easily crushed and rendered ineffective.

I sometimes see insulation installed too far into the soffit which also restricts air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Savemeasammy View Post
    IMO and experience, the baffles you refer to are not substantial enough to serve as an adequate air space. The volume of air is small, and the baffles themselves are easily crushed and rendered ineffective.

I sometimes see insulation installed too far into the soffit which also restricts air flow.

i am thinking about rigid foam insulation slid between the rafters tightly. I will run that all the way to top of the wall leaving a gap so air can flow. It will act like a longer baffle which I have all ready. It should also stop air leaks from the wall and ceiling.

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Thread Information