• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Industry View on Spring Skiing

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's a great value for three mountains. Crotched is a good little place for a quick fix as well.

VTKilarney

Slushy snow can be worse than frustration, if one doesn't know how to drive the skis well it can be tough on the knees.
My biggest problem, having recently returned to the sport, is that I really don't yet own a good ski for soft snow. The skis I use right now are just too narrow underfoot. They cut into the soft snow rather than float on top of it. I am probably not alone in this regard. Hopefully I will come across a good off-season deal on some wider skis.

bdfreetuna

My biggest problem, having recently returned to the sport, is that I really don't yet own a good ski for soft snow. The skis I use right now are just too narrow underfoot. They cut into the soft snow rather than float on top of it. I am probably not alone in this regard. Hopefully I will come across a good off-season deal on some wider skis.

You don't need wide skis for spring skiing just improve you skills and don't quit until the snow's gone.

Played my cards well this year... still got 7 or 8 days out saving the best for spring. Rossi Phantom 185 80 underfoot will do beautifully.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I don't think I was asking why any of us chooses to participate (or not) in post-March 15th skiing. In a pre-snowmaking era, the season ended for most skiers and ski areas in mid-March because we were skiing on mud and hay. While the available product has changed drastically, why has the industry made no effort to market the product?

If the industry tried it and failed, a post-mortem on why they failed would be appropriate. The fact that they never tried is what is troubling to me.

I think the main issue for resorts come April is competing with children's sports. That alone pulls lots of families away. I also think that many south of the NH and VT border are inclined to start focusing for biking, golfing, kayaking, etc. This distraction alone causes people to spread out. As I have mentioned in the past I have summer Attention Deficit Disorder - I generally want to do it all and in the end do not become good at any thing but get by. Winter for most is simple skiing/snowbaording is the game - April, not so much.

Kids sports have killed spring skiing

prsboogie

That makes for great variety and a tremendous season length....nice setup. I'd love the variety of a Peaks Pass but Wildcat is just too far for me to routinely day trip.

I picked up the family's Crotched Classic passes yesterday as well, cheaper than my weekender at wawa and more fun to ski. Bonus of 50% off midweek 25% weekends at Attitash Wildcat and Mt Snow is a great bonus as well.

KevinF

The industry has never tried to market spring skiing because of all the reasons listed above. Kids are getting into other sports leagues. Spring skiing is highly variable in terms of conditions and most don't have the skills to deal with it. People are tired of the driving, etc.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd say the marketing this year for all the various Spring passes has been strong. I've heard just as much radio advertisement this spring for places like Wawa and Wildcat as what I heard all throughout the winter.

Edd

You don't need wide skis for spring skiing just improve you skills and don't quit until the snow's gone.

Played my cards well this year... still got 7 or 8 days out saving the best for spring. Rossi Phantom 185 80 underfoot will do beautifully.

No, he doesn't NEED it. But, a wider, softer ski would make spring conditions easier and more fun. "Just improve your skills". Got it. Everybody got that? Improve your skills and skiing will be more fun! It's so easy you dum dums!

BenedictGomez

I'm surprised to hear you say the lines were "long" yesterday.

Seventeen minute lines at Madonna I yesterday, and pretty long lines on Sterling too. I lapped Madonna II almost all day (literally no lines, bizarrest thing), but the point is, for late March Smuggs was really crowded.

I've seen more and more people out later in the season this year than in years past.

It was so cold early in the season, people need to ski late to get their "days" in, and the fact we still have good snow - that IMO is what's going on.

Just like powder days and the often heard lament -- "nothing is groomed".

If such people exist, they should hurl themselves into the tar pits.

mister moose

I don't think I was asking why any of us chooses to participate (or not) in post-March 15th skiing. In a pre-snowmaking era, the season ended for most skiers and ski areas in mid-March because we were skiing on mud and hay. While the available product has changed drastically, why has the industry made no effort to market the product?

If the industry tried it and failed, a post-mortem on why they failed would be appropriate. The fact that they never tried is what is troubling to me.

I wouldn't say they never tried. Killington has events scheduled and promoted into May. Many hills do festivals and pond skimming.

PROS:
It's not cold.
Parties
Bands on the deck
Soft snow
Soft bumps
Low rates

CONS:
Soft snow
Soft bumps
Rainy weekends

The Sneak

I don't get the urge to golf in muddy flatlands in 55 F temps when you could be ripping up the mtn for another month. I lose my few ski partners around the end of March every year BC of golf.

I mean, all I wanna do once the season is truly over is ride my bicycle. But I know that can wait...there's a long, long offseason and missing out on a beautiful spring skiing day to golf or ride bikes is just incomprehensible given the 6 or 7 or 8 month layoff.

I get so bummed out when the season is ending. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com

I wouldn't say they never tried. Killington has events scheduled and promoted into May. Many hills do festivals and pond skimming.

I think I made it clear that Killington was the exception and that they have been very successful. When it became clear in the mid-90s that "June 1 skiing" was routine, they added (or maybe replaced) their May 1st festivities with June 1st activities.

"Festivals and pond skimming" remain very successful spring promotions. The problem is, as snowmaking has allowed for longer seasons, the dates for "Festivals and pond skimming" have NOT been moved 2 to 4 weeks later into the spring.

VTKilarney

The problem is, as snowmaking has allowed for longer seasons, the dates for "Festivals and pond skimming" have NOT been moved 2 to 4 weeks later into the spring.
The last two pond-skimming events have been held on very cold days. It would have been nice to see them held later in light of the weather.

Domeskier

It was so cold early in the season, people need to ski late to get their "days" in, and the fact we still have good snow - that IMO is what's going on.

That's part of the reason I only have 6 days so far. Couldn't motivate myself to get out in that cold. Also, I prefer spring conditions, so most of my days are in the spring anyway.

slipshod

There is another factor that hasn't been discussed here. When the temperature gets above 50 degrees, I actually prefer other forms of recreational activity, such as riding my bicycle. It's not a matter of "moving on" as much as it is a matter of a simple preference under those conditions.

I've never given it much thought, but a contributing factor is that ski boots are not designed for warm weather.
Cycling for me is just something to do when you can't go skiing. I like it, but I love to ski. And my ski season won't end until they shut down the last lift, which sadly is coming right up.