• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ever missed years of skiing?

steamboat1

One of my ex's I tried to take skiing one time. She ended up getting a sled ride down a green circle. Never wanted to take her out again after that.

My wife one time fell off the poma at Middlebury & she claimed she was hurt. Patrol took her down in a sled & looked after her in the patrol shack. They carried her to my car & laid her down across the back seat. They had called the hospital in Middlebury where they were waiting for us with a wheel chair to bring her inside. After x-rays they said nothing was broken & she hobbled back to the car & we went back to the lodge. Mind you my skiing day was shot. That night she asked me if I wanted to go out dancing. I was like WTF.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Don't do it! Working in the business sucks even on the corporate side. You'll spend more time looking at the hill than being on it even as a lawyer. It will make you loathe skiing, it happened to me too.
That's always been my philosophy, I don't want skiing to become a job. The best ski days of the year are spent inside working or stationary outside. Lucky to get an hour in here and there.

Dickc

I started skiing at 4 years old. At the age of 22, I started having big time back issues that turned into surgery in 1979 at the age of 23. Back then, the general word in the medical world was not to do anything that would potentially damage the repairs. In 1987 that philosophy had changed to try what you want and if it does not hurt its OK. Kids started to inquire about skiing in 1994, and I got back on them then. noted that much had changed! Skis were actually shaped!

skiNEwhere

Stood on skis at 2, started at 4 and skied every year after. Didn't ski at all between 2003 and 2006 due to reasons I've mentioned on here before. Maybe 20 days total between 2007 and 2011. Been trying to be a part time ski bum since then, getting at least 50 days a year

ERJ-145CA

I had 19 years off from skiing. Skied from 8 - 16 then started again at 35. Now I'm 46 and still going though not as much as I did before I broke my leg skiing in 2013. Before the accident I was going about 35 days a season, now around 20.

Last edited:

bigbog

my wife one time fell off the poma at middlebury & she claimed she was hurt. Patrol took her down in a sled & looked after her in the patrol shack. They carried her to my car & laid her down across the back seat. They had called the hospital in middlebury where they were waiting for us with a wheel chair to bring her inside. After x-rays they said nothing was broken & she hobbled back to the car & we went back to the lodge. Mind you my skiing day was shot. That night she asked me if i wanted to go out dancing. I was like wtf.

rotfl...

SkiFanE

A couple weekends ago I told my husband I need to be better appreciated :) I can ski 100% of the mountain, am quite good. Better than that lol. But I wouldn't go off-piste with him - mostly bc I knew the woods would suck and I was happy with the bumps I found and didn't want to waste precious ski time. He was kinda pissy about it. So I told him how freaking lucky his was. Lmao. I am probably the tougher of us - he'll take a day off after a hard long day if he's feeling achy. No way I would - so those days I'll ski solo. This winter my stamina has beat him up. I get probably 10 more days/ur in.

Cant imagine a flant-lander spouse. I guess I'm spoiled. Skiing is a huge part of our relationship and now kids lives. We work hard and anyone with 3 kids know how hard it is to keep the marriage going under family obligations - but getting on the slopes together is such a big part of "us". Two bell to bell ski days last weekend with no kids to worry about (thank goodness for ski shuttle lol) was awesome. i know lots of couples like us - it's a wonderful thing.

dlague

My wife doesn't ski. My long time college girlfriend did, but was pretty terrible and lacked the desire to advance beyond low intermediate terrain.

It's better being involved with a non skier than one at a vastly different ability level.

I rather enjoy that my wife doesn't ski. Gives me "me" time to go hang with the guys.

I am quite happy skiing with my wife! Hard to hit 50 days otherwise. She can ski most everything I do and she is fun to hang with. When she does not like a trail then she takes an alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
A couple weekends ago I told my husband I need to be better appreciated :) I can ski 100% of the mountain, am quite good. Better than that lol. But I wouldn't go off-piste with him - mostly bc I knew the woods would suck and I was happy with the bumps I found and didn't want to waste precious ski time. He was kinda pissy about it. So I told him how freaking lucky his was. Lmao. I am probably the tougher of us - he'll take a day off after a hard long day if he's feeling achy. No way I would - so those days I'll ski solo. This winter my stamina has beat him up. I get probably 10 more days/ur in.

Cant imagine a flant-lander spouse. I guess I'm spoiled. Skiing is a huge part of our relationship and now kids lives. We work hard and anyone with 3 kids know how hard it is to keep the marriage going under family obligations - but getting on the slopes together is such a big part of "us". Two bell to bell ski days last weekend with no kids to worry about (thank goodness for ski shuttle lol) was awesome. i know lots of couples like us - it's a wonderful thing.

Your Husband is a lucky man! Only wish my wife would ski let alone I have to keep up.
Tough women rock !

SkiFanE

I am quite happy skiing with my wife! Hard to hit 50 days otherwise. She can ski most everything I do and she is fun to hang with. When she does not like a trail then she takes an alternative.

Exactly. It's not as much fun skiing without him. Although - I give him lots of credit for my skills - I was a happy advanced skier that looked good and was happy carving perfect turns on groomers. He pushed me...off the groomers and to keep up and challenge myself. I don't think I'd be anywhere as good as I am now if he didn't nudge me.

dlague

Exactly. It's not as much fun skiing without him. Although - I give him lots of credit for my skills - I was a happy advanced skier that looked good and was happy carving perfect turns on groomers. He pushed me...off the groomers and to keep up and challenge myself. I don't think I'd be anywhere as good as I am now if he didn't nudge me.

That is what I do push her! She hangs tough. When she is not feeling it she kindly lets me know. I have been taking her down bump runs for the past couple years and she continues to improve. Hell, she was on board with, and the main drive for, the move to Colorado to ski bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jimk

This is a great thread. I started at age 14 in 1967. God willing, next year will be my 50th consecutive season skiing. Great skiing parents/siblings and a supportive wife had a lot to do with it. I'm proud that I kept the spark alive living in Virginia the whole time, not the most inspiring ski region, although our resorts bust their chops in the effort to provide a decent product.
With my big brothers at Camelback about 1968 or 69:
900x900px-LL-b97d3d2b_4826176db6875.jpeg

loafer89

I did not ski at all from April 2011 to November 2013. Our home was in foreclosure limbo and I was unemployed.

jimk

This is a great thread. I started at age 14 in 1967. God willing, next year will be my 50th consecutive season skiing. Great skiing parents/siblings and a supportive wife had a lot to do with it. I'm proud that I kept the spark alive living in Virginia the whole time, not the most inspiring ski region, although our resorts bust their chops in the effort to provide a decent product.
With my big brothers at Camelback Christmas 1968:
900x900px-LL-b97d3d2b_4826176db6875.jpeg
900x900px-LL-5c065e95_NewPicture7.jpeg

Reposted to get a fixed link to old photo and confirm date of Christmas time 1968. Bro in center had just returned from a one year (13 mos) tour in Vietnam, USMC Infantry. He was freezing cold the whole vacation, but DANG glad to be back. Bro on left sportin' a new set of Head Standards. All of us are in leather boots.

Here's another oldie, me on right, buddy on left, about 1970 or 71. The goggles look like something from an old science fiction movie. Clothing had a lot of nylon in it. OK for cold and wind, but not water resistant. Might be same outfit as first photo. Any rain would usually drive everyone inside for a while.
900x900px-LL-85f8e62f_NewPicture4.jpeg

Last edited: