• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's focus on Suburus for a second.

ComeBackMudPuddles

I recently priced an Outback here in Europe....Just shy of 40,000 euro for a pretty well equipped one, but not top of the line.

40,000 euro....That's just shy of $60,000!!

wa-loaf

Nope, not moving to France. Just wondering why you never see Outbacks in Europe when they're so common in the Northeast.

So I thought maybe that was just what cars like that run over there so I did a test. I went to Germany since I don't speak French and built a Passat Wagon. I built a TDI 4 motion with 6sp, heated leather power seats and roof rack among other options and it came out to 37,000 Euros. So I'd have to agree with you that the Subi's run a little expensive over there.

I also gotta say. Damn do they have a lot of options you can't get here. Everything is ala carte, not lame ass packages where you have to trade off getting a sun roof or standard transmission and what not. I would give my left nut to get a 6 sp diesel 4 motion over here.

bvibert

Staff member
So I thought maybe that was just what cars like that run over there so I did a test. I went to Germany since I don't speak French and built a Passat Wagon. I built a TDI 4 motion with 6sp, heated leather power seats and roof rack among other options and it came out to 37,000 Euros. So I'd have to agree with you that the Subi's run a little expensive over there.

I also gotta say. Damn do they have a lot of options you can't get here. Everything is ala carte, not lame ass packages where you have to trade off getting a sun roof or standard transmission and what not. I would give my left nut to get a 6 sp diesel 4 motion over here.

I'd give my left AND right nut, plus a few bucks...

SKIQUATTRO

the new Subies have been catching my eye latley...still waiting and hoping Audi brings back the Allroad...there is an 05 with manual tranny (5spd is rare in allroads) at a local Audi dealership that i've been thinking about trading in the A4 Avant for....we'll see....but the Subies are appealing for a variety of reasons.....

BeanoNYC

Any body (cough cough...Camp) know what the deal is with the satellite radio? Is it built into the stock radio or is it separate? Is the antennae built into the car?

I drive a 2006 Impreza and it's been great so far..no maintenence issues to speak of during the first 35k miles and awesome in the snow..plus the center armrest in the backseat has a ski passthrough so there's no need for a ski rack.

urban07sti

I'd give my left AND right nut, plus a few bucks

You could have a similar setup with the Subaru STI.....flat 4, 6 speed, 300HP, lots more power than that Diesel and incredible AWD with DCCD. There is a toggle switch where the driver can control how the AWD system behaves. Only the STI has this in subaru's. Granted, you would have to put up with the large wing and other items, but for me it's a sweet car. Can be had for low $30K's....last weekend driving up to the 'bush in that storm friday night it was a beast, no problems at all.

wa-loaf

You could have a similar setup with the Subaru STI.....flat 4, 6 speed, 300HP, lots more power than that Diesel and incredible AWD with DCCD. There is a toggle switch where the driver can control how the AWD system behaves. Only the STI has this in subaru's. Granted, you would have to put up with the large wing and other items, but for me it's a sweet car. Can be had for low $30K's....last weekend driving up to the 'bush in that storm friday night it was a beast, no problems at all.

Meh, I'm not interest in an over turbo'd rice burner. I want a wagon I can load a bunch of stuff in that has reasonable power, is sporty, comfortable, has awd and gets good gas mileage. My Outback is fine for me. The VW would be nice, but it's not gonna happen unless I move to Germany.

urban07sti

Fair enough, however the STI is not really a rice-burner although most people just think of it as one. It does not sound like a riced out Civic, the flat 4 has a nice rumble to it. I have a yakima rack and can fit everyone's gear. Granted the ride is stiffer than most cars, but it's a really fun car to drive, not to mention safe and I get pretty solid gas mileage it in. To each his own. If they made a STI wagon I would consider one.....nothing better than keeping up with true "sports" car in a wagon haha.

urban07sti

Hahaha, no not at all. Just my buddies I ski with and their gf's that we make squeeze in the backseat.

campgottagopee

Fair enough, however the STI is not really a rice-burner although most people just think of it as one. It does not sound like a riced out Civic, the flat 4 has a nice rumble to it. I have a yakima rack and can fit everyone's gear. Granted the ride is stiffer than most cars, but it's a really fun car to drive, not to mention safe and I get pretty solid gas mileage it in. To each his own. If they made a STI wagon I would consider one.....nothing better than keeping up with true "sports" car in a wagon haha.

Careful what you wish for....2008 STI only come in a 5 door
http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZAWRX&trim=STI&command=overview

urban07sti

Don't even get me started on that.....completely ruined the look of the STI. When I mentioned wagon before I meant like the WRX wagon but with the STI treatment given to it. A few of the car clubs I'm in have some pretty sweet wagons with funny stickers 'you just got beat by a wagon'. These new 08 hatches are not my cup of tea. I'm happy with my 07.

campgottagopee

Don't even get me started on that.....completely ruined the look of the STI. When I mentioned wagon before I meant like the WRX wagon but with the STI treatment given to it. A few of the car clubs I'm in have some pretty sweet wagons with funny stickers 'you just got beat by a wagon'. These new 08 hatches are not my cup of tea. I'm happy with my 07.

Jury is still out for me until I see the car....Like you, I like the sedan very much. IMO the STI Ltd was the best one!!!

bvibert

Staff member

Meh, I'm not interest in an over turbo'd rice burner. I want a wagon I can load a bunch of stuff in that has reasonable power, is sporty, comfortable, has awd and gets good gas mileage. My Outback is fine for me. The VW would be nice, but it's not gonna happen unless I move to Germany.

You probably don't have two kids and a dog. :lol:

Ditto on what wa-loaf said, exactly. I have nothing against Subbies, but a STI is NOT the car I'm looking for at this stage in my life. The whole point of having the TDI isn't to get "lots more power", it's to get lots more MPG... ;)