• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

bdfreetuna

I figured there was a way skiers left. Maybe one day. And definitely agree peasant isn't a burger wing beer type place, but neither was common man :grin:

If my memory is correct skiers left involves a mandatory about 5 foot drop. Going over the top of the church is way over my head. I would definitely crash the landing and it's not worth the possible injuries. Going around it over the smaller drop isn't bad though and totally worth it.

cdskier

I agree with this sentiment. I live in NJ but ski the MRV as much as possible which usually translates to a 2-4 weekends per season. I find the vibe in the MRV to be special even within VT (I love the whole state). I think it's important that a small biz can sustain itself long term in the MRV.

Just to mention...from what the owners of Common Man are saying, they aren't closing due to the business not being able to sustain itself. They simply want to do something else as Common Man is too big for them and too much like what they've done before.

I do personally hope someone else buys Common Man though so it remains open under new owners. It is a great building and a great location that has a great reputation and can surely be successful.

rocks860

My style is more like comfort/pub food, vs a sit-down pay-way-too-much-for-too-little place. I prefer places like the Barn, Smokehouse, or that little place across from the Common Man :)

I've actually never been to the smokehouse. We don't make a habit of going to pay way too much places but maybe like once a year we go to common man (this year it was peasant in the winter but we went to common man in the summer).

KustyTheKlown

Haven't driven that route since January, but it was open and fine in January, when there was actually some snow around. My guess is that it's fine

cdskier

Moretown gap road is currently closed as well. Check Sugarbush's snow report for info as they've been posting road closure updates there too.

nhskier1969

Moretown gap road is currently closed as well. Check Sugarbush's snow report for info as they've been posting road closure updates there too.

Went last week and Roxbury gap road was closed so I took moretown gap road and it was open, It shouldn't have been. Looks like exit 3 this week.

When all is said and done, exit 9, although not the most exciting and probably the longer feel of all the routes is the most reliable. 30 years up and back I've done them all. Need to pick your route and watch weather and seasonal conditions. Just sayin.......

djd66

During mud season,... I like exit 9. Exit 3 is most likely to make the wife and kids car sick.

HowieT2

I come up from killington on 100 so it's not an issue for me, but what I don't get is that the alternate routes are only maybe 5 minutes longer, so why even risk Roxbury gap in mud season.

steamboat1

Only time I drive I-89 is if I'm going directly to Sugarbush, MRG or Stowe from home which isn't often. Always got off at Rt. 100B (is that exit 9?) & drove south to Rt. 100 to Sugarbush or MRG. Of course for Stowe I'd get off at Waterbury.

Our ski house in VT. is about 8 miles north of Rutland on Rt. 7. When driving to the MRV from there I usually go over Brandon Gap (Rt. 73) & pick up Rt. 100 north in Rochester. Occasionally I'll drive over the Appalachian Gap (Rt. 17) for a change of pace.

rocks860

I always take exit or if I'm in the mood for a scenic drive just take 91 to 30 in Brattleboro then hook up with 100 in ludlow ( or take 91 further up to 103). Never taken the gap, had some friends who did a few years ago and they ended up getting there 45 minutes later then me because it was a nightmare. They said it was barely a road when they went, they didn't know any better it was just where Google told them to go.

rocks860

Anyone skied there recently? I was thinkin of maybe going next Saturday and using this voucher I have. That would likely be the only time I could get out for the rest of the year

nhskier1969

Anyone skied there recently? I was thinkin of maybe going next Saturday and using this voucher I have. That would likely be the only time I could get out for the rest of the year

Skied today. Lincoln peak was a lot of fun. Mt. Ellen isn't worth the shuttle ride over.

rocks860

Skied today. Lincoln peak was a lot of fun. Mt. Ellen isn't worth the shuttle ride over.

Yeah I was thinkin of just hitting up Lincoln peak. I went up last month and hit up mt Ellen cause LP was packed, it was ok but wish I had stayed at LP. It doesn't look like it's supposed to be too warm this week, Saturday could be ok