• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

canobie#1

Saw a nasty accident on the Super Bravo lift today. Skier was down on birdland and tons of people around helping. We passed above and it seemed like he was fully covered in tarp, kinda like a body bag. Does anyone have anymore information on this?

Overall fun day at the Bush tho.

benski

Saw a nasty accident on the Super Bravo lift today. Skier was down on birdland and tons of people around helping. We passed above and it seemed like he was fully covered in tarp, kinda like a body bag. Does anyone have anymore information on this?

Overall fun day at the Bush tho.

Was he in a sled? They use tarps kinda like a shell when they are bringing people down in sleds.

cdskier

I heard someone on the lift at one point mention seeing someone hurt earlier...but that's as much as I heard. Didn't see anything myself. Hope they are ok.

cdskier

If I were a Sugarbush skier, I'd want the lift spinning if they want to open the trails.

I guess I'm not "hardcore" because I have no desire to hike for turns when there's a lift right there.

all about snow preservation. Paradise was skied bare from traffic, but castlerock still had plenty of powder at close yesterday. I hiked it twice yesterday. Putting aside the issue of whether it's legitimate to call the trails "open", I and pretty much everyone I know want those trails open, lift or no lift. And I'd prefer no lift, to having the lift run and have it skied off by midday. It's an easy hike. 15 minutes.

Just to revisit this topic, I made the hike this weekend (3 times - twice Saturday and once Sunday). I can now fully say I support this practice. Very cool experience. It is a good workout too but very enjoyable. Great views along the hike too. The cover was surprisingly good after the weather this week. It seems the "4 inches" of snow they received mid-week was of the heavier variety and really covered things up nicely. While the bumps were firm, they were still fun and in better shape than any of the natural snow trails on the main mountain. It was also nice to be able to get away from the crowds.

Here are a few pics:
1655349_1332137176811699_4693544485879413040_o.jpg
11136221_1332137263478357_208926247399877541_o.jpg
12239158_1332137266811690_4002685835448147034_o.jpg
12841433_1332137353478348_7180924636291259495_o.jpg
701922_1332137356811681_7779817569828289629_o.jpg

cdskier

Yea...I mentioned that in the recent Stowe thread after someone mentioned Comman Man there.

Honestly I'm not too broken up by it. I may be in the minority here, but Comman Man has failed to impress me with the current owners. Don't get me wrong, the food is good and I like the ambiance and service, I just expect more creativity from a chef with Adam's credentials and I just didn't see that whenever I ate there. Seems like he's alluding to that as well in the article about why he wants to do a smaller scale place.

HowieT2

Yea...I mentioned that in the recent Stowe thread after someone mentioned Comman Man there.

Honestly I'm not too broken up by it. I may be in the minority here, but Comman Man has failed to impress me with the current owners. Don't get me wrong, the food is good and I like the ambiance and service, I just expect more creativity from a chef with Adam's credentials and I just didn't see that whenever I ate there. Seems like he's alluding to that as well in the article about why he wants to do a smaller scale place.

Totally agree and know others who feel the same way. The food was good, but the menu was boring and it was overpriced. I was there twice this season and each time settled for a dish I really wasnt that thrilled to get and certainly not for the price. That being said, my wife and daughter loved the place.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just think it is a bummer because another eatery is closing down in the MRV. That said, someone will hopefully fill the void.

HowieT2

I just think it is a bummer because another eatery is closing down in the MRV. That said, someone will hopefully fill the void.

they come and go. For me, Mad River Barn is filling the void now. what the common man aspired to be, but cheaper.

KustyTheKlown

Just to revisit this topic, I made the hike this weekend (3 times - twice Saturday and once Sunday). I can now fully say I support this practice. Very cool experience. It is a good workout too but very enjoyable. Great views along the hike too. The cover was surprisingly good after the weather this week. It seems the "4 inches" of snow they received mid-week was of the heavier variety and really covered things up nicely. While the bumps were firm, they were still fun and in better shape than any of the natural snow trails on the main mountain. It was also nice to be able to get away from the crowds.

Here are a few pics:
View attachment 19448
View attachment 19449
View attachment 19450
View attachment 19451
View attachment 19452

your first and second pics are near the entrance to the church, a nice cliffy drop in to some excellent tree skiing between heavens gate and castle rock. you should check it out in a better snow year. sugarbush classic.

cdskier

your first and second pics are near the entrance to the church, a nice cliffy drop in to some excellent tree skiing between heavens gate and castle rock. you should check it out in a better snow year. sugarbush classic.

Yea, I was hiking up there this summer and figured out that that was the famous church. Still not sure I could get up the nerve to actually ski that even with good snow. Maybe seeing it with good snow would change my mind.

cdskier

they come and go. For me, Mad River Barn is filling the void now. what the common man aspired to be, but cheaper.

Peasant is still my go to place. Mad river barn is very good too though and seems to be doing quite well whenever I've been there.

HowieT2

Yea, I was hiking up there this summer and figured out that that was the famous church. Still not sure I could get up the nerve to actually ski that even with good snow. Maybe seeing it with good snow would change my mind.

Sure you could. Not off the cliff, but going around skiers left. Need snow though.

HowieT2

Peasant is still my go to place. Mad river barn is very good too though and seems to be doing quite well whenever I've been there.

Big fan of peasant but it's different kind of restaurant. Not going in there for wings or a burger and beer.

cdskier

I figured there was a way skiers left. Maybe one day. And definitely agree peasant isn't a burger wing beer type place, but neither was common man :grin:

mikec142

I agree with this sentiment. I live in NJ but ski the MRV as much as possible which usually translates to a 2-4 weekends per season. I find the vibe in the MRV to be special even within VT (I love the whole state). I think it's important that a small biz can sustain itself long term in the MRV.

rocks860

Went to peasant for the first time when we were there in January, it was delicious and very cool little spot. Shame about the common man, I've been going there since I was a kid. Hopefully someone takes it over, such an awesome space for a restaurant

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
That said, someone will hopefully fill the void.

I know... we really could use a pizza place!

;-);-);-):smash:;-);-)

It is sad that the Common Man is closing... it's been around since I made my first MRV trek back around 1991/92, though I've never been there - not my style.

rocks860

I know... we really could use a pizza place!

;-);-);-):smash:;-);-)

It is sad that the Common Man is closing... it's been around since I made my first MRV trek back around 1991/92, though I've never been there - not my style.

Haha what style is that?