• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Defending Ski Haus

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the facts are pretty basic. Exactly as I laid out in the OP. I went in in October. Saw nice skis, asked about pro pricing. Was given a price and told I could pick them up when I had my proof of employment. Paid for half, based on given price. Bobby went out back, took a wrapped pair, and put my name on it.

Gunstock opened LAST WEEKEND. I have my employee ID. Spouse called on Monday and asked them to mount bindings, just as we had discussed in October. Steve called HIM on Tuesday and said we can't have the skis unless he can get another pair from Volkl.

Steve called AGAIN on Wednesday to say he can't get any, left a message. We called him back last night and were told for full MSRP they are mine. He won't let them go for the quoted "pro" pricing. End of story. We went round and round. I promised I'd tell everyone and then some. I did.

I have a receipt showing full retail price and "pro" price "with Gunstock proof of employment" written on it.

That's all there is to it. So what am I missing?
If that last statement was genuine, here is my thoughts (as a retail store manager). You ordered a "pro pricing" version of a particular ski. The shop could not get that version of the ski and considered it Out of Stock. So the quote is null and void because they could not fulfill your request. It seems to me that a Pro Priced ski and a full retail ski should be considered two different items. I don't work in ski retail, but I do work in regular retail and bulk discounts are often allowed at my discretion for folks doing special orders in bulk. I don't price discounts below cost if I can't get a good discount on the bulk to pass along. It seems like this is a good parallel. They could not get the discounted item, they could not get the discount, so they could not pass it along. You may choose not to accept that as legitimate, but it seems legit from my perspective. You were not quoted a regular discount on a full priced ski but rather a pro discount that they could not get for you. I just don't see where they let you down, they just were not able to get the pro priced ski from what you are saying as the facts.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
since none of you know the fucking details of what happened when I first went to Ski Haus, nor do you really care to know, why don't you all just shut the fuck up. It's way more fun to bash me when you don't know shit, so have at it.

Bunch of fucking tools.....

loser.jpg

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
If that last statement was genuine, here is my thoughts (as a retail store manager). You ordered a "pro pricing" version of a particular ski. The shop could not get that version of the ski and considered it Out of Stock. So the quote is null and void because they could not fulfill your request. It seems to me that a Pro Priced ski and a full retail ski should be considered two different items. I don't work in ski retail, but I do work in regular retail and bulk discounts are often allowed at my discretion for folks doing special orders in bulk. I don't price discounts below cost if I can't get a good discount on the bulk to pass along. It seems like this is a good parallel. They could not get the discounted item, they could not get the discount, so they could not pass it along. You may choose not to accept that as legitimate, but it seems legit from my perspective. You were not quoted a regular discount on a full priced ski but rather a pro discount that they could not get for you. I just don't see where they let you down, they just were not able to get the pro priced ski from what you are saying as the facts.

If the deal was offered with conditions like, "if we can get it" I would agree with you but according to the OP that was not done. Just quoting a price, as you say, would not be a problem but making a deal and taking a deposit is another story IMHO. Swamp is not out any money but in my mind the shop failed in meeting the customers expectations. Even just an apology from the owner would go along way here. Business owners apologize for staff screw-ups all the time.

Course, this is totally only one side of the story so that's what I'm going on and would not be totally shocked if I ended up with egg on my face. :D

This season we are carrying some really nice new Leki Alpine poles with straps that quick release when you fall. Last weekend a guy comes in and buys a pair, plus goggles for his kids. He comes back cause he forgot to mention he has lifters on his bindings so he needed longer poles. He also had a crash in the deep powder and the straps released and one came off his wrist and he couldn't find it. He was vey apologetic even offered to pay for the strap. I exchanged the poles and that was basically it. He was kind of blown away. We can get extra straps from the rep to replace the one he lost and I think others might be losing their straps with these poles so we will have a few extra on hand. The customer was thrilled and we weren't out anything maybe even gained a returning customer.

People come in with broken helmet straps, the ones in the back for your goggle strap. We have extra's and replace them, free of charge. Guest Services has one of those portable battery charger/starters. If someone in the parking lot needs a jump, no problem, no charge. It's all about exceeding customer expectations.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
With her crappy attitude, I'm not sure how much of her story I believe. She obviously had an agenda to discredit this shop and when it didn't work, well, you saw what she turned into.

campgottagopee

If the deal was offered with conditions like, "if we can get it" I would agree with you but according to the OP that was not done. Just quoting a price, as you say, would not be a problem but making a deal and taking a deposit is another story IMHO. Swamp is not out any money but in my mind the shop failed in meeting the customers expectations. Even just an apology from the owner would go along way here. Business owners apologize for staff screw-ups all the time.

Course, this is totally only one side of the story so that's what I'm going on and would not be totally shocked if I ended up with egg on my face. :D

This season we are carrying some really nice new Leki Alpine poles with straps that quick release when you fall. Last weekend a guy comes in and buys a pair, plus goggles for his kids. He comes back cause he forgot to mention he has lifters on his bindings so he needed longer poles. He also had a crash in the deep powder and the straps released and one came off his wrist and he couldn't find it. He was vey apologetic even offered to pay for the strap. I exchanged the poles and that was basically it. He was kind of blown away. We can get extra straps from the rep to replace the one he lost and I think others might be losing their straps with these poles so we will have a few extra on hand. The customer was thrilled and we weren't out anything maybe even gained a returning customer.

People come in with broken helmet straps, the ones in the back for your goggle strap. We have extra's and replace them, free of charge. Guest Services has one of those portable battery charger/starters. If someone in the parking lot needs a jump, no problem, no charge. It's all about exceeding customer expectations.

I agree with what you are saying, customer service is KEY in todays econoimy. However, this "customer" didn't give the shop any chance to correct this "issue". Nope, nada, zip---just started telling everyone what bad people they are, gonna take them to court, blah, blah, blah. Don't blame the shop if the tell her to go piss up a rope after this one. Some deals are better off not being done.

Swamp Dog

I agree with what you are saying, customer service is KEY in todays econoimy. However, this "customer" didn't give the shop any chance to correct this "issue". Nope, nada, zip---just started telling everyone what bad people they are, gonna take them to court, blah, blah, blah.

so you know what was said in our conversations now? As does everyone else hear making assumptions here I see.

You're a little late to the party but have fun anyhow.

campgottagopee

so you know what was said in our conversations now? As does everyone else hear making assumptions here I see.

Not late, just not that interested. Not much can/could be accomplished on the phone, never works. It's only an hour away---you could've gone down there and worked things out....just sayin' :spin:

UVSHTSTRM

Well unfortunately I got my hand slapped, cuz of foul language so you didn't get to see my very quality point in which I tell you basically to shut the f up.

Bottom line is you came on here trying to smear a ski shop that many have had very positive experiences with, you thought people were going to be like lemmings and follow you in your crusade, you thought that people on here didn't have opinions of there own, etc, well you were very wrong. Me I have never been there, so I have no dog in the fight. One thing I can comment on is that you come off like a very rude and hot headed jackass. So even though I may agree with you on some of your points and would have been ticked, your credibility is shot because of how you come off. So live with it, for you to expect everyone on here to agree with you and take your side and take your word as gospel is neive, afterall nobody knows who you are expcept for your negative first impression, and many know the owners of the Ski Haus and have had positive experiences, I think it's easy to understand why people might not be catchin what your throwin. At the end of the day does anybody's opinion on here really matter..sounds like you've got your mind made up, go to court enjoy your day, but don't post here when your ticked that the judge ruled for the Ski Haus.

mondeo

Only assumption I'm making is that there are two sides to every story.

If you were being rational at all, there would be people backing you up. I'd do it just for a chance to argue with DMC (I kid, I kid.) But one vs. everybody is a pretty strong indicator that the one is the irrational party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecutory_delusions

o3jeff

Good post like usual

From what I can figure out from reading this is that Proform is usually between the end user and the manufacturers rep and is on a first come first served basis. Sound like the shop was doing you a favor by offering you this deal and being the middleman without proof that you qualified for it besied your word. You finally get your proof of employment to be eligible for the program and let them know to get and mount the skis. Being mid December the proform stock has depleted and now you expect the shop to give you a pair off the floor.

wa-loaf

.I am on my final 2 pair of Tecnica Explosion 8's now....

Those were recalled I beleive. Bad plastic, my cuff cracked on a really cold day. Just came apart. Not sure if you can get anything for a late 90's boot now, but you might want to contact Technica for the hell of it.

Geoff

Swamp - After reading your OP you definately have a legit beef. The owner, at the best should have backed the deal that you were offered, at the least, offered to split the diference.

Lots of possibilities as to why the guy you dealt with made an offer that wouldn't work for the owner. The saleman probably assumed they could get the skis you wanted from the manufacturer but it turned out they could not. He thought you were cute so he wanted to impress you with a deal. He is new so he forgot some important info during training, Hard to know why it happened, doesn't change the fact that your not a happy customer.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the fight and I get the feeling that's actually how you feel as well. Small Claims court is kinda a joke, even if you get a judgement in your favor there is really not anything this court can do to help you get the money. Go to the manufactorers website and there are, hopefully, email and phone customer service info. Since you gave them a downpayment I assume you have something in writing.

Conversly, please consider that your situation might be an anomoly at a shop that does a good job. Ski Shops are under the gun just like everyother retail business out there so I understand why the owner would not want to take the hit. The Ski Market chain out of Mass has closed several shops.

Happy turns

There's a big difference between October and the Christmas rush. If I were the shop owner and stumbled across this thread, I'd ban the person from my store for life.

Hawkshot99

I know of many people who have gotten proform stuff off of the shop wall, so the shop saying that Vokl does not allow that is not true.

If the shop does not allow this to happen, then the should not be allowing there employees to sell it off the wall for the price and take a deposit on it. If the shop makes the agreement, and takes money they should be honoring the deal.

Who cares if all of you have always had great experience with this particular shop. She has not, and wants to warn people about a non satisfactory experience with them. If all of the information she has posted here is correct, then it is good to know of a shop that does not honor their word.

jaywbigred

Who cares if all of you have always had great experience with this particular shop. She has not, and wants to warn people about a non satisfactory experience with them. If all of the information she has posted here is correct, then it is good to know of a shop that does not honor their word.

I think that boils it down for me.

What would be the point of coming to the internet and posting falsities anyway?

mondeo

I know of many people who have gotten proform stuff off of the shop wall, so the shop saying that Vokl does not allow that is not true.

If the shop does not allow this to happen, then the should not be allowing there employees to sell it off the wall for the price and take a deposit on it. If the shop makes the agreement, and takes money they should be honoring the deal.

The problem isn't that she spread the word, it's that she was (to the judgement of many) way too upset over something she'd get the deposit back on anyways, and then when other people said as much she flipped out on them. It's the flipping out, not the information, that's at issue.

If it were juse someone posting a bad experience with a shop, then others relaying good experiences with the same shop, it would've been a one page thread. That's how it should work, and one of the best uses of the internet - sharing information.