• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yarmouth, Nova Scotia

zook

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has ever been to Yarmouth and what's your opinion about visiting it.

I'm going to Acadia for the July 4th weekend with some friends and we were discussing possibility of taking the CAT to Yarmouth for a day trip - maybe even with bikes. Now, between ~$100 per person and only 4 hours there (the summer schedule does not start until 7/10th) I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

I wouldn't mind spending the money if it turns out that the city is nice and picturesque. The CAT seems very interesting and going to Nova Scotia sounds cool too, since I've not been there yet.

So what's your opinion? Any experience with either one - CAT or Yarmouth? Any experience with making reservations for the CAT?

Thanks,

Agata

thetrailboss

Staff member
I dunno. I see those CAT ads all the time!

03112601-sm.jpg

zook

I guess we'll go with the flow. If we feel like it when we get there and they still have tickets we may end up going. Who knows when's my next chance gonna be to see Nova Scotia.

I'll let you know when I get back :)

pedxing

Yarmouth is a decent town. If you have bikes, you might as well bike out along the coast. I spent some time going back and forth to Nova Scotia - mostly for work, but later for fun - I usually cleared out and headed North. There's definitely enough to do around Yarmouth to fill four hours. I can't say anything about the CAT - when went on the old Scotia Prince which got shut down in a wave of conflict over alleged toxic mold at the Portland site now used by the CAT (I think the health issue are mostly relevant for people who have to work there, and wouldn't effect passengers).

Of course it would be better to have more time. Going North along either coast is a great trip. Most people seem to prefer the Atlantic side towards Halifax. I adore the Bay of Fundy and the Digby neck. Keijimakujik park has some good canoeing and hiking. There are also some converted rail trails on the Fundy coast for biking.

pedxing

Harris Quick-N-Tasty

I just remembered the name of the restaurant I used to stop when I passed through Yarmouth.

Searching to confirm the name of the place, I found a review at Frommer's web site. They recommend Harris's and another place I've never been to (the other place gets a higher rating). I also learned Harris's Quick-N-Tasty has changed ownership, but it seems to still be well regarded local spot.

You might get some other ideas from checking out the website:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/yarmouth/2963010001.html

zook

Thanks pedxing.

This was actually planned as a preview for a future longer trip to Nova Scotia. I heard great things about it and would love to explore it further one day. During the summer the ferry back to Bar Harbor is at 8:45pm which would give us good 8 hrs. Unfortunatelly that does not start until July 10th and we'll have to take the 4:30pm one.

Again, thanks for the info.

powerman

Website
yarmouth-novascotia.blogspot.com
My Yarmouth Pics

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has ever been to Yarmouth and what's your opinion about visiting it.

I'm going to Acadia for the July 4th weekend with some friends and we were discussing possibility of taking the CAT to Yarmouth for a day trip - maybe even with bikes. Now, between ~$100 per person and only 4 hours there (the summer schedule does not start until 7/10th) I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

I wouldn't mind spending the money if it turns out that the city is nice and picturesque. The CAT seems very interesting and going to Nova Scotia sounds cool too, since I've not been there yet.

So what's your opinion? Any experience with either one - CAT or Yarmouth? Any experience with making reservations for the CAT?

Thanks,

Agata
http://yarmouth-novascotia.blogspot.com/