• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Demo - Kastle + Rossi

gmcunni

Suburban Sports arranged for Kastle and Rossi to put on a demo day @ Ski Sundown today so i got a chance to try some new skis.

I've been admiring a lot of carver people lately and the thought of trying out a snappy short turn ski has been on my to-do list. I stopped by the Kastle tent first and i ended up demo'ing the SL first in a 166 size. The rep, Marc, got me clicked in and set my expectations - the ski was full of energy.

Keeping in mind i'm neither technical skier nor do i know crap about carving, I headed out to take some runs. WOW, couldn't believe how the ski turned. I'm not sure i can adequately describe it but the ski was turning TOO QUICK for me. Very strange feeling, my body/mind was about 1 second behind the skis. After a few turns i started getting a better feel for the timing. Took skis down a bunch of runs, including through the bumps. Marc was right, the ski had lots of energy and was fun to ski. When i dropped the ski off Marc told me he used a "special" bevel on that ski, 0 base and 4 side.

Next stop was at the Rossi tent where i put on the Strato ( i'm pretty sure it was the 70) 170 length. i was better prepared for the quick turns this time and found the Rossi to be nice but it did not feel quite as lively as the Kastle. Took the same runs with the Strato as i did the SL and the Rossi did well.

After trying the 2 slalom skis i figured i was done, was going to put my all mountains (nordica 84mm, 170 long) back on and finish up the day. Peter (Skidmarks) from Suburban suggested trying one more pair so we went back the Kastle tent and grabbed something fat. Peter wanted me to try the 84 but it was out so i took the next one up, the FX94 in a 176cm. After short turns on the other skis i really didn't think i'd get much out of the 94 but off i went. I stared at the skis as i rode up the lift, so fat (to me). they were going to be slow and sloppy, i just knew it. Man, was i WRONG. I couldn't believe how these skis turned. Not crazy like the SL but really nice mid-sized turns, i really really liked them. 10mm wider and 6 cm longer than my skis and FX94 felt like it turned just about the same, maybe quicker! I couldn't believe it, i was very impressed. Took them in the bumps and they did fine (not great but neither am i).

I started the day wanted to try out some short radius skis and ended the day putting the Kastle FX94 on high on my wish list.

Thanks Skidmarks, Sundown, Kastle and Rossi for a fun demo day.

skidmarks

Re-Introducing Kastle to Southern New England

We'll have this demo fleet at the Shop starting Jan 11, 2011
December2010_147_.jpg

I started the day wanted to try out some short radius skis and ended the day putting the Kastle FX94 on high on my wish list.

Thanks Skidmarks, Sundown, Kastle and Rossi for a fun demo day.
Thanks for being our Lab Rat!!
Getting ready for that life changing ride on the FX94s

December2010_160_.jpg

Glenn

Great review. I'm starting to see the light on wider skis these days....

o3jeff

Nice review Gary, I will have to grab a pair from the shop when they get them.

Also, do they ever go on sale?

KevinF

I have trouble imagining why anybody would intentionally use a 0 degree base bevel. It seems with 0 degrees that at some point all four edges are going to be in contact with the snow, which could lead to some really "interesting" situations if opposing edges decide to "hook up" simultaneously.

RISkier

skidmarks, where's your shop? Almost every Kastle ski review I've read has been somewhere between very positive and "best ski I've ever been on." My skis have lots of miles and I've been planning to demo and buy this year. So far haven't tried any demos. I'd really like to try some of the Kastles.

RSTuthill

25 Webster Square Road, Berlin, CT. Off Exit 22 on Route 9 if I recall, but you could Mapquest it. They are really good people and totally enthusiastic about what they do.