• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/10 Storm Discussion Thread

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Big ol' bust, that's for sure.

http://wbztv.com/local/snow.storm.boston.2.1479305.html

maps4.jpg

Glenn

Weenie storm! We'll end up with 2-5" of snow when this winds down...if that.

We just went out to run to BJ's...I could have left the Jeep in 2wd. The traffic guy on the radio: "Please stay off the roads!" Yeah, that .25" of slush was really difficult to navigate.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It all seems so silly. We've about an inch of snow on the ground and they've got a big dump truck plow trying to clear out the school lot behind my house. At $55 an hour, these guys were hoping for big dough tonight and I guess they are going to try to get it any way they can.

ZYDECORICH

Will Creek groom the shit out of it or leave some of it alone??

hard to say...last year when we had about 8 to 10 they left if alone...i would say they won't touch it for a day or two but i'm sure they will for the presidents weekend. they usually don't touch pipeline or devils bit and they are both open according to the report. i'll find out tomorrow.

Greg

Staff member
16" total.

Nice! Congrats. This storm stayed on a more southern track than forecast. It's hard to tell exactly due to the wind, but I would guess we got about 3". Forecast was 6-12". Am I allowed to call a bust now? :roll:

Skiing was still a lot of fun this evening.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice! Congrats. This storm stayed on a more southern track than forecast. It's hard to tell exactly due to the wind, but I would guess we got about 3". Forecast was 6-12". Am I allowed to call a bust now? :roll:

Total bust.

However; if I wake up to a magical 12" tomorrow morning I'm gonna be PISSED!!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
It all seems so silly. We've about an inch of snow on the ground and they've got a big dump truck plow trying to clear out the school lot behind my house. At $55 an hour, these guys were hoping for big dough tonight and I guess they are going to try to get it any way they can.

Can't blame em. They have more right than any of us to be pissed at the missed forecast. The further north you go this year, the harder it's been on plow guys. I realize, much like ski resorts, their winter trade is a bit of a gamble being weather dependent, but you still feel for em when they see big time money and get nothing. That equipment doesn't maintain itself.

hammer

Can't blame em. They have more right than any of us to be pissed at the missed forecast. The further north you go this year, the harder it's been on plow guys. I realize, much like ski resorts, their winter trade is a bit of a gamble being weather dependent, but you still feel for em when they see big time money and get nothing. That equipment doesn't maintain itself.
I do feel bad for them, but I also feel for the average taxpayer...with all of the other cuts to local services, I'm not too crazy about plow guys doing unnecessary work.

These near misses are driving me nuts...and I'm not a powder snob at all.

Glenn

Our town plow came down when the road was still 90% blacktop. I was a little miffed by that.

Weenie storm. What a joke. We ended up with maybe 4-5" of snow. I did take the snowblower out because what was on the driveway (3") was pretty heavy.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I do feel bad for them, but I also feel for the average taxpayer...with all of the other cuts to local services, I'm not too crazy about plow guys doing unnecessary work.

These near misses are driving me nuts...and I'm not a powder snob at all.

I agree with you on the municipal level; I guess I was thinking more about the local private guys doing driveways and strip malls and whatnot. The muni guys get paid anyway, just a matter of overtime or not. The private guys are the ones that stand to lose their shirts.

WinnChill

Welllllll, alllllright...you can.:roll: Now that it's over, It's official. hehe. Man, it was so close with all that heavier snow sitting so close to you...that's the way it goes with these secondary, Miller B types of systems. Sorry it didn't work out this time--it was fun playing. Glad you had fun last night!

drjeff

Welllllll, alllllright...you can.:roll: Now that it's over, It's official. hehe. Man, it was so close with all that heavier snow sitting so close to you...that's the way it goes with these secondary, Miller B types of systems. Sorry it didn't work out this time--it was fun playing. Glad you had fun last night!

Bingo, the storm did just about everything as predicted, EXCEPT FOR TRACKING ABOUT 75 MILES FURTHER NORTH :mad:

The dramatic fall off in snowfall totals that occurred basically over CT was what 36 hours ago looked like was going to occur over MA. One of these days, maybe, just maybe we'll be able to get the 'ol "Classic Nor'easter" in here where everything North of I-84 is good snowfall totals, some mixing across Southern CT/RI/SE MA and then liquid more than frozen at the immediate shore. Right now, we've just got a mega cold air road block/jet stream over/around New England that's keeping the proverbial door closed for much of interior New England :smash: :smash:

WinnChill

Bingo, the storm did just about everything as predicted, EXCEPT FOR TRACKING ABOUT 75 MILES FURTHER NORTH :mad:

The dramatic fall off in snowfall totals that occurred basically over CT was what 36 hours ago looked like was going to occur over MA. One of these days, maybe, just maybe we'll be able to get the 'ol "Classic Nor'easter" in here where everything North of I-84 is good snowfall totals, some mixing across Southern CT/RI/SE MA and then liquid more than frozen at the immediate shore. Right now, we've just got a mega cold air road block/jet stream over/around New England that's keeping the proverbial door closed for much of interior New England :smash: :smash:

And the frustrating thing about this is, is we'll see another couple of storms slip by the next several days! Ugh! Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't say anything...."what they don't know won't hurt them"! HA! Or is it, "if a nor'easter passes by and no one is around to see it, does it really exist"?

Cheers!