• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2008-09 Ski Season Breakdown Thread

How many days did you ski this season?

• <10

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 11-20

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • 21-30

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • 31-40

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 41-50

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 51-60

• 61-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71-80

• 81-90

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 91-100

• 101+

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

drjeff

Tommorrow will be day 55 for me(and probably my last one of the season) - all days at Mount Snow

zinger3000

18 this season

11/29 - Butternut
12/6 - Hunter
12/26 - Maple Ski Ridge
1/6 - Bousquet
2/8 - Belleayre
2/10 - Hunter
2/11 - Windham
2/12 - Catamount
2/13 - Berkshire East
2/17 - Willard
2/28 - Plattekill
3/7 - Mohawk
3/15 - Windham
3/21 - Butternut
3/31 - Belleayre (Ski Free on your birthday!)
4/4 - Jiminy Peak
4/11 - Mount Snow
4/18 - Wildcat

Note the 5-week gap in January/February. Another skier collided into me from behind at Bousquet (I didn't even see it coming!) The diagnosis was that 2 of the muscles in my rotator cuff were either sprained or possibly somewhat torn, and it required 5 weeks of physical therapy. I think that's why I never felt that I was able to get my fill of skiing this winter. Looking forward to '09-'10!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
18 this season

11/29 - Butternut
12/6 - Hunter
12/26 - Maple Ski Ridge
1/6 - Bousquet
2/8 - Belleayre
2/10 - Hunter
2/11 - Windham
2/12 - Catamount
2/13 - Berkshire East
2/17 - Willard
2/28 - Plattekill
3/7 - Mohawk
3/15 - Windham
3/21 - Butternut
3/31 - Belleayre (Ski Free on your birthday!)
4/4 - Jiminy Peak
4/11 - Mount Snow
4/18 - Wildcat

Note the 5-week gap in January/February. Another skier collided into me from behind at Bousquet (I didn't even see it coming!) The diagnosis was that 2 of the muscles in my rotator cuff were either sprained or possibly somewhat torn, and it required 5 weeks of physical therapy. I think that's why I never felt that I was able to get my fill of skiing this winter. Looking forward to '09-'10!
That sucks, but at least you got a good amount of days in after recovery!

AdironRider

Right now I know Im at 106 days. New personal best for me and second 100 day season in a row. Dont know exactly how many at each place as I just kept track of total days. So far I have...

JHole - 75 ish
Snow King - 20 ish
Teton Pass - 6
Grand Targhee - 1
Beaver Creek - 1
Sunday River - 1
Killington - 1
Wildcat - 1

Not sure on my exact totals at JHole and the King respectively as living there it kind of all blends together but I did keep track of my total days. Pretty easy when you go almost every day. Ive been home for a week now and got 3 days in here back east. First time Ive gotten to ride here (other than tucks last spring) in 2 seasons. Felt good to be back. I head back to JHole tomorrow and will be hitting up either Loveland or ABasin on my way. That will be the end of lift served and I should get about 10 more days on the pass once Im back. Im on pace for a 117 day season, putting me real close to my goal of 120. I got to experience 4 new resorts this season (Sunday River, Wildcat, Beaver Creek, and either Loveland or ABasin). Snow conditions have been all over the place but its been a great season.

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
93 total

Blue mountain 71 days, 1098 runs for 1,123,850 vertical feet

Hunter 1 day, 12 runs for 18,200 vertical feet

Killington 1 day, 16 runs for 13,612 vertical feet

Hazleton PA backcountry..1 day

Camelback PA, 2 days, 47 runs for 33,200 vertical feet

Sugarbush 1 day 15 runs 21,000 vertical feet

Big Boulder PA 1 day..13 runs for 2600 vertical feet

Jack Frost PA 1 day..24 runs for 12,000 vertical feet

Stowe VT 6 days..65 runs for 128,050 vertical feet

Jackson Hole 7 days..76 runs for 166,000 vertical feet

Grand Targhee 1 day..10 runs for 15,000 vertical feet

season totals..

Days: 93
Runs: 1376
Total vertical: 1,533,512
Average runs oer day..15
Average vertical feet per day, 16,669
Average vertical feet per run..1,114.5

Holy cow rain man.

bigbob

You sure don't get much vertical in per day. I try and get at least 25k/day. One day at Loon Mnt, NH I did 43,120, would of done more but had 2 days after that at Stowe so I stopped at 2 PM.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tommorrow will be day 55 for me(and probably my last one of the season) - all days at Mount Snow

I'm sure having the condo there, young kids needs etc. makes the Mt. Snow experience work very well for your family.

But don't you ever want to go somewhere else? Even take a 40 minute ride up the road to Magic on a powder day or maybe Beast?

Even when I was a devote pass holder at Okemo and Stowe in high school through college and skiing 80+ days a year, I still always took at least a few days at other areas. I'm WAY jealous of how much more you ski than I, but can't wrap my head around skiing at only one area for an entire season.

2knees

I just spent the last 40 minutes searching my post in the trip report section to figure it out. 19 sundown days, (i thought i was well over 20) 4 killingtons, 1 sunapee, 1 okemo, 1 magic, and 1 bromley for a total of 27. Still trying for next sunday at sugarbush. but even if i dont, 27 is more then any other year PK.

Post Kids.

AdironRider

I'm sure having the condo there, young kids needs etc. makes the Mt. Snow experience work very well for your family.

But don't you ever want to go somewhere else? Even take a 40 minute ride up the road to Magic on a powder day or maybe Beast?

Even when I was a devote pass holder at Okemo and Stowe in high school through college and skiing 80+ days a year, I still always took at least a few days at other areas. I'm WAY jealous of how much more you ski than I, but can't wrap my head around skiing at only one area for an entire season.

I hear you. Its almost shameful and egotistical to say, but after 175 days skiing all Jackson Hole has to offer, I need to get to other areas just not to be bored. Ive skied almost everything Jackson has to offer and still have tons of lines in the park that need to get done, but theres something about skiing the same area day in day out that makes it boring. It was refreshing to come back east this spring and get to experience some new mountains, even if they were a little tamer, or smaller than Jackson Hole.

Greg

Staff member
45 so far. Hoping for 47.

Hunter: 2
Sundown: 37 (over 40 if you count days with the kids)
Magic: 1
Sugarbush: 1
Killington: 3
Okemo: 1

Plan is for Sugarbush on Sunday, and Killington on May Day. Then I'll happily hang up the skis. Already been mountain biking so looking forward to a lot more of that during the off season.

bvibert

Staff member
Looks like 35 for me. Mostly at Sundown.

1 - Hunter
1 - Killington
31 - Sundown
1 - Sugarbush
1 - Magic

drjeff

Sometimes, yes, sometimes no. My wife and I used to ski all over New England every season pre-kids(of course we ended up skiing Mount Snow most - hence why we own there ;)). In a couple of years, once the kids are through the basic programs and if they so choose into competitive programs, or even they they just want to free ski with Mom and Dad, then we'll start traveling around again, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Right now though, mainly out of comfort and convienence Mount Snow is SUPER easy for us, they have GREAT programs with GREAT staff for BOTH my kids that we're on a first name basis with(both in the programs and out of the programs), and my kids are very comfortable there which means that they can focus on their skills rather than having to first learn a new environment.

Also, my wife and I honestly have a blast on hill on both the stuff that's on the map and also off the map ;) and have met a number of people and families that we feel priviledged enough to now call friends, and it's that comfort factor that really makes be a "one trick pony" right now very easy and guilt free!

On the flipside of that, one of the things as a parents that we can't wait to do in the future, IS show the kids some of the fun places we skied in the past! We're just going to wait a little bit so that BOTH kids aren't just limited to beginner and easier intermediate terrain ;)

Grassi21

1 - Killington
1 - Sugarbush
1 - Magic
1 - Hunter
19 - Best damn hill in CT - Ski Sundown

Greg

Staff member
Sometimes, yes, sometimes no. My wife and I used to ski all over New England every season pre-kids(of course we ended up skiing Mount Snow most - hence why we own there ;)). In a couple of years, once the kids are through the basic programs and if they so choose into competitive programs, or even they they just want to free ski with Mom and Dad, then we'll start traveling around again, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Right now though, mainly out of comfort and convienence Mount Snow is SUPER easy for us, they have GREAT programs with GREAT staff for BOTH my kids that we're on a first name basis with(both in the programs and out of the programs), and my kids are very comfortable there which means that they can focus on their skills rather than having to first learn a new environment.

Also, my wife and I honestly have a blast on hill on both the stuff that's on the map and also off the map ;) and have met a number of people and families that we feel priviledged enough to now call friends, and it's that comfort factor that really makes be a "one trick pony" right now very easy and guilt free!

On the flipside of that, one of the things as a parents that we can't wait to do in the future, IS show the kids some of the fun places we skied in the past! We're just going to wait a little bit so that BOTH kids aren't just limited to beginner and easier intermediate terrain ;)

I get the whole sticking with just skiing the home hill thing, especially with kids and since you've committed to owning property up there. Shoot, I skied most of my days this season at a place that is probably only 10% of the mountain Mount Snow is. Convenience and the "Cheers" factor are a big draw. I wish I lived closer to a hill with more vert, challenge and terrain variety, but I also feel fortunate to have what I do so close as well. Some people have it far worse.

kcyanks1

15 so far
6 - Jackson Hole
4 - Sugarbush
2 - Stowe
2 - Gore
1 - Mad River Glen

Hoping to make it 16 with Sugarbush next Sunday, and maybe finally I'll manage a day at Tuckerman Ravine, but guess I will see. Was hoping for 20, which is what I did last year, but I had a big 0 in March due to work (two weekends) and family obligations (1 weekend), and the lack of snow didn't help.

Zand

41 so far for me... 29 at Wachusett, 3 at Killington, 2 at Okemo, 2 at Mt. Snow, 2 at Stowe, 1 at Sunapee, 1 at Magic, and 1 at Burke. 2 more in me... either Friday or Saturday at Sugarbush and closing day at Killington which will put me at a 6 month season.

Next year, I'm expecting double that number, and hoping to get 100. A little Vermont livin'.