• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice On Where To Go w/Girlfriend

masshole

Website
www.freelovemd.com
Ok,

I am 24 and live in southeast Massachusetts. I haven't been skiing in 10 years so I am basically a beginner. I want to take my girlfriend skiing next week (Jan. 3rd) mid-week for two or three days, Tuesday-Thursday. She has never been skiing before. She always says she wants to ski so I am surprising her with a skiing trip. I don't mind driving anywhere in the Northeast but would like to keep the driving under 5 hours. Money is really not an issue but I don't want to spend over $1000.

I need a recommendation on where I should take her. Like I said we are basically both beginners and could use some lessons, I was thinking of getting us a couple of private lessons. We also have no ski equipment so it will all have to be rented. I am looking for somewhere that won't be crowded where we can have a good time learning to ski together and enjoy some nice surroundings, views, and ambience. Also I would like wherever we are to have a nice small ski village feeling to it, basically a romantic setting. NOT a McDonald's and Walmart around the corner or anything that feels institutional, with big modern buildings and such.

So that is the type of place I am looking for, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any and all help
:D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
no one should be suprised with my recommendation on this topic! masshole (as a former mass resident, i always hated that label. especially coming from trailer trash NH hicks :lol: ;) ), burke, VT would definitely meet all your needs but would be about a 3.5-4 hour drive from SE MA depending on your location. burke has a dedicated beginner area with both a J=Bar for just starting out and then a high speed quad (VERY unique for a dedicated beginner area to offer a high speed quad -- this makes the prospect of learning a chair lift for the first time a LOT easier). burke is all about nice surroundings and ambiance and the views are nice from the summit, but you won't find anything except the toll road trail from the summit that beginners can easily ski. definitely a romantic setting if you factor in the new tamrack grill upstairs, small base area. also check out a restaurant in St.Johnsbury called "Elements" which is something straight outta downtown boston or NYC, very nice with a rotating menu sure to be a hit with the lady friend. miss lyndonville dinner for your breakfast needs if you don't mind driving 12 minutes away from the mountain. burke will also be cheaper than your typical 'walmart' type resort.

normally, i would suggest staying local and picking up the basics at a local hill, blue hills perhaps. but it seems you are also trying to factor in a three day get away so i automatically eliminated smaller areas in favor of places you could spend some time at. black mountain in NH is another option you might like, also has a dedicated beginner area. you probably wouldn't be able to easily make it down from the summit, so no views of mount washington unfortunately. black has the added benefit of being near north conway for shopping and entertainment if you guys get tired of skiing and need some off mountain stuff to do. cranmore is in n. conway and is also a good mountain to consider.

bolton valley, VT could be another decent option but has reportedly had difficulties with some lifts so i was tempted to not even mention them until they get things straightened out.

bretton woods in NH is a little more on the expensive side but is worthy of consideration.

after having thought it out, i am still sticking with my original suggestion of burke, especially based on NOT wanting a McD's or Walmart styled ski experience with the institutional feel.

smootharc

C'mon, Riv.....

.....what about suggesting he spend the $1,000 on Powerball Lotto tickets, win tomorrow night's 75million jackpot, then buying her Magic Mountain for an engagement gift ? That would be my suggestion....

:lol:

RISkier

Some thoughts: You don't necessarily need a big mountain, indeed some small places may be preferable for learning and you probably need to consider off slop options as well. Others can speak better about the ski schools and learning terrain but it seems to me one option would be to stay in the North Conway/Jackson NH area and ski at either Black Mountain or Cranmore. You'd have lots of lodging/dining/entertainment options in that area. You could also look at Bretton Woods, NH. BW has a completely isolated beginner area and the ski school has a very good reputation, the mountain is pretty mellow and once you've gotten a little confidence there are nice easy trails off almost every lift, so you can ski the whole mountain. I've never seen BW very crowded. The downside is there's not much right in the area for off slope entertainment. The Mt. Washington hotel would be a romantic option but is VERY pricey. I'd also take a look at Stowe, especially if you're going midweek. My wife and I really like Stowe village, lots of excellent restaurants and apres ski bars, not too far from Burlington or Montpelior if you get tired of skiing. The ski school has a very good reputation. You, at least your beginning girlfriend) would largely be limited to skiing on Spruce peak and then toll road and the green trails off the toll house double. Daily ticket prices at Stowe are very high but if you buy multi-day packages they are pretty good. Check out their website under lift tickets and I believe it's vacation specials. It's a 20% discount for tickets purchased 14 days in advance and 10% on 3-day advance purchases. We just purchased 5-day tickets for $179 in early January, and they include choice of lessons or rentals. I'd also plan on at least 2 or 3 days of lessons for your girlfriend. I started just a few years ago and was hopeless on my first day. Let her know that she may really struggle the first day or two, it's natural. Don't push her into skiing stuff she's not comfortable. And when she's tired, go do something fun. There are lots of small areas that I think would be great places to learn to ski, Pat's Peak comes to mind, but there's not much in the area in terms of a fun destination resort.

awf170

riverc0il said:
no one should be suprised with my recommendation on this topic! masshole (as a former mass resident, i always hated that label. especially coming from trailer trash NH hicks :lol: ;) ), burke, VT would definitely meet all your needs but would be about a 3.5-4 hour drive from SE MA depending on your location. burke has a dedicated beginner area with both a J=Bar for just starting out and then a high speed quad (VERY unique for a dedicated beginner area to offer a high speed quad -- this makes the prospect of learning a chair lift for the first time a LOT easier). burke is all about nice surroundings and ambiance and the views are nice from the summit, but you won't find anything except the toll road trail from the summit that beginners can easily ski. definitely a romantic setting if you factor in the new tamrack grill upstairs, small base area. also check out a restaurant in St.Johnsbury called "Elements" which is something straight outta downtown boston or NYC, very nice with a rotating menu sure to be a hit with the lady friend. miss lyndonville dinner for your breakfast needs if you don't mind driving 12 minutes away from the mountain. burke will also be cheaper than your typical 'walmart' type resort.

I second Steves opinion, I havent been to burke in a long time, but everyone here says it is awsome for begginers. With the new begginer high speed quad this year it will be ever better. But I drove through lyndon the other day and that is a very nice quiant vermonty town, almost like a less devopled stowe. I also went to ms. lyndonville diner for the first time thursday and I would second steve in saying that place is awsome. Defiantly an awsome place to go. :D

BeanoNYC

RISkiier has the right Idea with the Mount Washington Valley. North Conway is a real nice town and there is plenty of skiing to be had.

Don't rule out Mount Snow either. They have an excellent learn to ski program, a beginner hill with a slow moving beginner lift for her to get used to. The town of West Dover where Mount Snow is located fits your specs as well. It's about 1 1/2 hours from Springfield, Mass. (exit 2 off I91, then 30 minute drive)

Let us know what you decide, so we can help you with places to stay and eat. Welcome aboard!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Also I would like wherever we are to have a nice small ski village feeling to it, basically a romantic setting. NOT a McDonald's and Walmart around the corner or anything that feels institutional, with big modern buildings and such.
mount snow definitely does not fit the bill for what this guy is looking for.

BeanoNYC

riverc0il said:
Also I would like wherever we are to have a nice small ski village feeling to it, basically a romantic setting. NOT a McDonald's and Walmart around the corner or anything that feels institutional, with big modern buildings and such.
mount snow definitely does not fit the bill for what this guy is looking for.

Well maybe to this New Yorker it seems like that! :wink:

I don't recall seeing a Walmart or McD's anywhere in West Dover or Wilmington, and I think they're really cool towns, but I'll defer to you Steve.

He doesn't want advice from a Yankee fan anyway! :beer:

Edit: Spelling

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i don't think he wasn't specifically saying he didn't want to see a McD's or walmart near the ski area (very few have either of these nearby, maybe with exception of places like north conway -- maybe he did but you don't really have to worry about this any where in the mountains), but rather the desire to avoid ski areas with a homogenized coporate feel. correct me if i am wrong masshole? in either case, mount snow isn't a small ski village by any means regardless of the McD's/Walmart factor ;)

:beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
North Conway is an option, but lately it has gone from Ski central to shopping/junk central :roll: So I'd suggest somewhere else.

Burke is a good option, but you aren't going to have too much else to do besides ski regrettably. I'd rather tell you that up front so that you aren't disappointed.

Flatten Woods--another option, but way to pricy IMHO. Maybe Waterville Valley?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
waterville mid-week is definitely a good option. crowds won't be an issue mid-week and waterville also has another rare high speed quad servicing beginner terrain. closer to boston area as well.

NHpowderhound

Welcome masshole! :beer:
First place that pops into my mind is www.brettonwoods.com . The mountain has commanding views of Mount Washington and most of the Presidential Range of NH. It's also a mountain that is very forgiving to beginners or those that are a bit rusty. Bretton Woods has undergone an expansion the last several years adding a new mountain with new trails, new lifts, new lodge new sports club. Point is new new new! Also, most of thier lifts are high speed quads.
Not much around the immediate area for entertainment after the lifts close like bars and bands but more along the lines of sliegh rides and stargazing in your outdoor jacuzzi while sipping on a glass of wine. If you do want bars and bands(like me :D ) then a 25 minute drive to North Conway could be done one afternoon to include some tax free shopping.
Have a great trip with your girlfriend regardless of where you go and give us report after you go!
((*
*))NHPH

Skifastsailfast

riverc0il said:
... a high speed quad (VERY unique for a dedicated beginner area to offer a high speed quad -- this makes the prospect of learning a chair lift for the first time a LOT easier).

Ah, rivercOil, I can understand loyalty to your home area, but I think you're being a wee bit deceptive saying that detatchable quads are so "VERY unique" in beginner areas. Sugarloaf or Sunday River both them -- Whiffletree at the Loaf and South Ridge at SR. As another poster indicated, Waterville has one. Even Killington has one (Snowden express). aI'm sure there are more.

I'd go along with others' suggestion of the North Conway area. The "drinking town with the skiing problem" offers a variety of quaint places to stay and eat, and the alternate activity of shopping in case the skiing either stinks or doesn't go well.

BeanoNYC

Skifastsailfast said:
I'd go along with others' suggestion of the North Conway area. The "drinking town with the skiing problem" offers a variety of quaint places to stay and eat, and the alternate activity of shopping in case the skiing either stinks or doesn't go well.

Tax Free Outlets can ease a woman's pain. :lol: .... It sure eased my wife's.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Skifastsailfast said:
Ah, rivercOil, I can understand loyalty to your home area, but I think you're being a wee bit deceptive saying that detatchable quads are so "VERY unique" in beginner areas. Sugarloaf or Sunday River both them -- Whiffletree at the Loaf and South Ridge at SR. As another poster indicated, Waterville has one. Even Killington has one (Snowden express). aI'm sure there are more.
ah Skifastsailfast, you quickly forget our topic starter does not seem to be looking for the big resorty places like river, loaf, and kmart. besides that, when i was refering to detaches serving beginner terrain, i meant that the quad ONLY services green circles. also, you named a few areas. maybe we have a half dozen total. maybe very unique was not a good choice of words, but they certainly are not common place.

snowdon quad is not an express, i think you are referring to rams head perhaps. that said, i did not recommend burke out of loyalty but rather a genuine belief that burke has a LOT to offer the beginner skier looking for an intimate resort with a lot of character. also, i have also suggested that WV may be a better option. i have many times suggested resorts to people looking for advice that i wouldn't visit without a free ticket mid-week. i don't cator my advice around my own personal opinion but rather the needs of what someone else states compared to what i have experienced. i push burke because it is a great option (when it meets people's needs), not because of a popularity contest.

bretton woods seems to be a solid contender, especially when combining the north conway factor for non-skiing activities. north conway does have the mcd's and all the strip mall stuff which seems to be something masshole is looking to avoid. BW is a strong contender even without north conway factor.

Sky

RC...I completely over looked Waterville. When I was last there...there was a fairway or something on the left side of the mountain (as you look at the trail map) that seemed like a great place to learn. Sorry, can't help with a lodging recommendation for Waterville tough. I'll leave that up to NHPH or you.

I was thinking Bretton Woods for two reasons. 1) gentle terrain and 2) great accommodations available (with lesser alos available) if the three-day stay was intended to "impress".

The North Conway option sounds good for non-skiing activities. I hear Cranmore is a decent option for lesser $ than Bretton Woods.

I don't like Killington for beginners. I think it was RC who mentioned smaller mountains as a viable option. I agree except MH wants a three-day stay.

Heck, if he stays in North Conway, he can give BW a try and adjust fire from there.

Good luck MH!

Sky

RC...I completely over looked Waterville. When I was last there...there was a fairway or something on the left side of the mountain (as you look at the trail map) that seemed like a great place to learn. Sorry, can't help with a lodging recommendation for Waterville tough. I'll leave that up to NHPH or you.

I was thinking Bretton Woods for two reasons. 1) gentle terrain and 2) great accommodations available (with lesser alos available) if the three-day stay was intended to "impress".

The North Conway option sounds good for non-skiing activities. I hear Cranmore is a decent option for lesser $ than Bretton Woods.

I don't like Killington for beginners. I think it was RC who mentioned smaller mountains as a viable option. I agree except MH wants a three-day stay.

Heck, if he stays in North Conway, he can give BW a try and adjust fire from there.

Good luck MH!

masshole

Website
www.freelovemd.com
Thanks for all the responses from everyone, you all are giving me great information, and I really apppreciate it :D . I just read all your suggestions for the first time so I will have to read it again to let it soak in.

From what I did pick up:

There seemed to be some mention of me not wanting a big corporate feeling ski experience. This is couldn't be more right. I am looking for a place that has a very romantic, rustic, scenic feel to it. I don't want anything that has "strip malls" or Walmarts around the corner. My girlfriend(who is getting surprised with this trip) is not originally from New England and I think she envisions skiing during the day in beautiful scenery and sipping hot chocolate in a rustic, quiet ski lodge at night and staying in an old country inn or something of that nature and enjoying the views. Of course, tax-free shopping 25-30 minutes away would probably be a great place to stop on our way home, and I am sure she would enjoy that. But, in general I am looking more for total romantic ski getaway type trip if that makes sense. We want to have a fun time skiing as well.

Also I will remind everyone again that she has never been skiing before and I haven't been in years, so we will probably be skiing beginner stuff the whole time.

As far as the lessons, which some of you mentioned, I was thinking of getting her private lessons and me going along with her to get a refresher course. Do you guys/girls recommend private lessons? I know they are more expensive but from my experience I always learned much more and faster when I had one-on-one attention from an instructor.

Again, I must say thanks so much for the information. I will be making a decision over the next few days and will be sure to let everyone know what I decide. For now I will be re-reading all the advice and trying to narrow it down to the perfect place.

Thanks Again :D

JBHeadParrot

Mt Washington Valley - Jackson

Masshole & Others,

I liked what everone has said, my 2 cents would be the Mt. Washington Valley, but in Jackson. Its 10-15 minutes north of North Conway and offers everything you're looking for.

http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/

My pick on staying would be the 1. Christmas Farm Inn or 2. The Dana Place Inn. Both are rustic and offer the romantic getaway you're looking for. They both have restaurants... Jackson is a small town of 800 warm & friendly people. If you get bored and want to shop, N. Conway isn't too far away.

Have a nice getaway.

noski

geeeeze...

You guys are killin' me, heah! Not one of you said Mad River Valley. Skiing Sugarbush and Mad River Glen, or XC/snowshoe at Ole's- moonlit sleigh ride, fine wine by the fire.... REAL 1700's/1800's Vermont villages complete with steepled church and covered bridges.... genuinely nice people, especially those nice ladies at the chamber of commerce.... ambiance, ambiance, ambiance....After your first few visits, you may want to come back to pop the question... :wink: